Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eHam Moderation  (Read 23528 times)
EI4GMB

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »

Having recently left QRZ.com because of biased moderating, I can say this has not been the case on eHam.
Consequently, I am happy to have renewed my membership! Wink

Kind Regards

Fred EI4GMB
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:50:05 PM by EI4GMB » Logged

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 08:29:39 PM »

Apparently, you have not spent enough time on the eHam.net site. Biased moderating has been a terrible problem on eHam.net and it has resulted in empowering internet bullies on almost every string. eHam.net is in bad need of moderator reform.  Wink 
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 04:12:36 AM »

.....eHam.net is in bad need of moderator reform.

Be careful what you wish for.  If it was moderated better, you'd probably be in the top three to be bounced.......a long time ago.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 04:20:09 AM »

The moderators do a good job IMO.  If anything, I think they're a little too slow to step in, and a little too forgiving in what they let pass.  But that's their choice, not mine, and in general, this is a great website.  CTTOI, I've been using it a lot lately--time for me to subscribe! 

And the reason that moderation is important is something I've seen over and over and over since the late 1980s and the early online discussion places: nothing can ruin a discussion group faster than religious or political arguing.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 07:34:34 AM »

"Be careful what you wish for. If it was moderated better, you'd probably be in the top three to be bounced.......a long time ago."
See, there is one of the bullies now, that has been given way too many passes! Just out of curiosity, who were the other two intelligent fellows you lost the debates to?  Wink

Seriously, when you see a site like this that does not have the rules posted for everyone to read, that is an indicator that moderation will not be fair and effective. This is an excellent site for information and their are a lot of good helpful hams on here, but it could be greatly improved with moderation reform!  Smiley    
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:04:20 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 08:27:21 AM »

The moderators do a good job IMO.  If anything, I think they're a little too slow to step in, and a little too forgiving in what they let pass.  But that's their choice, not mine, and in general, this is a great website.  CTTOI, I've been using it a lot lately--time for me to subscribe! 

And the reason that moderation is important is something I've seen over and over and over since the late 1980s and the early online discussion places: nothing can ruin a discussion group faster than religious or political arguing.

I'll second this opinion.  Also, the moderators here will look into threads that members here report to them and may send warnings out to offenders if warranted, but they refrain from heavy handed moderation--maybe a little too much.  All in all, this site is a very good one.  73!
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 09:14:56 AM »

Moderation is generally a thankless task; no matter what is done (or not done), someone is going to be offended over something.  Usually those offended are those who have an idee fixe that they have an unfettered "right" to post whatever they want, whenever they want; concomitant with that idea is the certainty that their particular worldview is the ONLY valid belief structure, and anyone who disagrees (or even worse, challenges) is automatically wrong.

I don't presume to speak for others, but I appreciate the presence of eham, and find it easy to disregard those whose agenda appears to consist of a compulsion to argue and indulge in ad hominem attacks - they rarely have anything of value to contribute anyway, and seem content to indulge in pilpul...

(pilpul - hairsplitting arguments over inconsequential issues)

So, to the moderators of eham:
Thanks for your efforts -  I may not agree with your decisions 100%, but your work is always appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:12:56 AM by N0MKC » Logged
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 10:12:31 AM »

I agree and don't see a moderation or a bullying issue at this site. I think the moderators of eHAM have struck a good balance, and like any other website, there are the occasional trolls and other "personalities".  But overall this is well behaved website compared to many others that I have have used.  

Just because someone expresses disagreement or a different point of view does not mean one is being bullied.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:14:03 AM by N0YXB » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 03:26:07 PM »

The moderation here is fine as far as biasing. I think they are pretty independent. But sometimes the moderation has been excessive, where it did not need to be. But as I said, it was not because of biasing.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 05:19:12 PM »

"Just because someone expresses disagreement or a different point of view does not mean that one is being bullied."

Yes, and that would be fine. What is not fine are different points of view salted with insulting remarks and name calling. That is why I have four of the posters on this string marked with the "ignore" button. They just can't seem to communicate without verbally assaulting others. When they find a victim that stands up to them, they use the search feature to stalk them forever. There is no other name for this activity but "bullying" and I have apparently attracted the usual gang of bullies again on this string. Sad

Unfortunately, this behavior goes unchecked, which empowers and encourages the same bad actors to continue their activities.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:56:05 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 08:30:19 AM »

The moderation here is fine as far as biasing. I think they are pretty independent. But sometimes the moderation has been excessive, where it did not need to be. But as I said, it was not because of biasing.

I think the moderation has stepped up in the past few months--not so much as to be really noticeable, but it has increased a bit.  That may seem problematical to some, but it shouldn't be.

The REAL problem, I think, is that people are becoming way too thin skinned, way too expecting of everything being politically correct, and there is way too much splitting of hairs over trivial things.  There is also the feeling that some people have--that they're being picked on just because a few others express a differing opinion.  as a result, they lash out, accuse falsely, and in general make themselves the problem instead of the solution.

If some of those people would just take differing opinions with a grain of salt, a lot of this animosity would vanish overnight.  It's just that those people are incapable of doing that, and take every single statement that differs from their opinion as a personal attack.  The ignore button is there so those people would have a way of 'ignoring' the others who irritate them, but they either don't use it--or they use the 'show/hide' button just to see what they want to ignore in the first place.

So, I'll offer a suggestion--remove the 'show/hide' button so people who want to ignore specific posters on this forum either have to ignore them--or have to see those posts all the time.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 10:51:51 AM »

The only reason that someone would want the "ignore button" removed or altered is so they can continue to stalk and bully others knowing they can't be turned off or so they can't be held accountable for their comments by the victims of their attacks. The way the "ignore button" has been set up is the best thing to happen to eHam.net since its inception. Wink
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:03:35 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 10:53:31 AM »

I think the moderators do the best they can. How would YOU like to deal with all the nasty people and cry babies on these forums? It can get like a nursery school sometimes. And if they wanted to, these folks would be gone. I think they use a remarkable amount of restraint.  There are at least a dozen I would have booted.
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »

I think you are always going to get disagreements when you have a group of people.
The important thing is that there is respect with any exchange of thoughts or ideas.

Best Regards

Fred EI4GMB
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:05:49 PM by EI4GMB » Logged

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 03:12:04 PM »

I think the moderators do the best they can. How would YOU like to deal with all the nasty people and cry babies on these forums? It can get like a nursery school sometimes. And if they wanted to, these folks would be gone. I think they use a remarkable amount of restraint.  There are at least a dozen I would have booted.

I definitely agree with that. It is a no-glory job.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: