Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eHam Moderation  (Read 23737 times)
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 06:34:35 AM »

What would it be like to drive on the highway with no written and posted rules. It would be chaos!  Shocked

What would it be like to operate on the ham airways with no written and posted rules. It would be chaos!  Shocked

What is it like to participate in the eHam.net community with no written and posted rules. It is often chaos!  Shocked

"It is a no glory job."
The "job" has been made more difficult by not having written and posted rules on the site followed up by fair and equal enforcement. If that was done, the issues would be minimal and easily dealt with.  Smiley

"How would you like to deal with all the nasty people and cry babies on these forums?"
That is the problem! Since there are no written and posted rules we all have to deal with the chaos it creates. I would be glad to take the "job." Within 30 days, there would be a marked improvement in the atmosphere on eHam.net and it would be a lot more enjoyable for for everyone. Even the bad actors would be happier because they would know what not to do and alter their behavior accordingly, so they could remain on the site.   Grin
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:56:24 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 08:17:26 AM »

...How would YOU like to deal with all the ... cry babies on these forums? It can get like a nursery school sometimes...

There is one here that this description fits to a 'tee' that I can see!  Smiley
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 10:33:47 AM »

The small band of "eHam.net Bullies" that I have marked with the "ignore button" rarely have anything helpful or constructive to add to discussions and only serve to create a hostile atmosphere on the site. What I have suggested would change the behavior of or eliminate that faction and make eHam.net enjoyable for everyone!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:27:22 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 05:12:16 PM »

Moderation here is adequate for the most part.  Spirited debates and differing opinions are part of a forum community, and I find them a valuable learning tool.  Typically, there is only one person on eHam that is consistently embroiled in discussions that turn less than personable.  That person typically has little to offer as far as technical information or the advancement of operating skills, but usually excels in stirring the pot.  I've watched many interesting threads degrade into name calling due to this single individual.   Yet this person spews self-righteous drivel as if totally unaware they are the center of most of the problem threads.  It's interesting to observe that this individual is noticeably absent from any topics over on QRZ where moderation appears to be more tightly controlled. You can come to your own conclusions from this fact.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:44:24 PM by K3GM » Logged
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 06:46:12 PM »

It seems strange that the eHam.net Bullies who claim to have technical expertise lack any human relations skills and can only resort to insulting remarks and name calling when someone disagrees with them. I guess if you have one, you can't have the other, for some reason. If these posters that I have marked with the "ignore button" want to be helpful, why don't they share with us how many times they have flamed a victim and then complained to the moderator, when he or she stood up for themselves? Maybe they could tell us why they continually stalk those they cannot cow. It would help us understand their pathology.  Roll Eyes

If some of these folks think QRZ is properly moderated, why don't they spend all of their time on that site? Because they can't misbehave on QRZ., that's why, so they haunt eHam.net, where there are no rules!  Wink  

"I've watched many interesting threads degrade into name calling due to this single individual."
If you and the rest of your gang would stop stalking me and engaging in insults and name calling, I guess you wouldn't have anything to complain about. In fact, if I am so annoying, why are you on this string commenting now? When I take breaks for a while, the same people start attacking others. They even fight amongst themselves. The problem was here a long time before I joined and it will remain after I leave. Wink

Again, typical bullying. Nothing helpful or constructive from the last poster, just personal attacks. I believe their usual behavior, as we have just witnessed, proves my point to the original poster. Otherwise, these people wouldn't be here. He will not escape bias moderating on eHam.net.  Sad
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:09:45 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 09:26:29 AM »

As the old saw goes, everything in moderation.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »

From what I can see here, this is yet another thread that seems to have one person trying to be the wounded party yet is the chief pot stirrer.  Yet another thread that is practically begging to be locked.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:17:21 PM by K1CJS » Logged
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 06:02:43 PM »

"As the old saw goes, everything in moderation."
That was a very humorous statement. I am still smiling.  Smiley

"Yet another thread begging to be locked."
If I was being exposed like the small band of bullies on this string, I would want the thread locked too!  Wink
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:38:25 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 04:51:49 AM »

Claiming to be a victim of bullying is a recent trend in this country. Judging from the number of public sector employees paying homage to the general concept, I think we have a new growth industry. Sadly, it will have to be funded with taxpayer dollars.

Claims of being bullied and suffering from the ensuing emotional distress are concepts that were not invented here. My Aunt is a retired public school teacher from Canada and she was down here rambling about bullying at least a year before it was plastered all over the U.S. television networks, ad nauseum. Canada was probably infected via the northern European social democracies. Now we get to read about it here. Lovely.

IMO there is no such thing as bullying, only weak-minded people who encourage or let others get away with bad behaviour.

--------------------------------------------------

As far as the moderation goes, eHam.net has it just about right. Too much editing can be as bad as too little. Better to take it easy with the editing. I can think of a couple of prominent amateur radio discussion boards that have voluntarily decreased traffic to their discussion groups due to their insistence on heavy-handed editing, and a couple more that became no-man's-land because the site owners didn't care to edit anything.

The trick is to find the sweet spot. If you think about it, that is what the owners of this site are doing, otherwise they wouldn't be the ones here doing it. If things seem a little too loose, dare I say a little too free, I can think of one prominent amateur radio discussion group site that might be more suitable for those who desire more editing.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 06:26:11 AM »

"Claiming to be a victim of bullying is a recent trend in this country."
Oh really? Since the Bible is one of our oldest history books, maybe you can explain over 50 Bible verses that make reference to bullying. I would say you are wrong.  Wink

"IMO there is no such thing as bullying."
I guess you were sleeping during all of your biology and sociology classes when the instructor was discussing the term "pecking order." It even exist in the lower animal kingdom. Unless we discount all science, I would say that you are wrong, again. Wink

"As far as moderation goes, eHam.net has it just about right."
To believe that any human organization does not need improvement is to settle for mediocrity, or in this case, a substandard result. The evidence of that is right before your eyes on this string!  Cool

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:30:59 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 08:44:38 AM »

SDY,

Most people here (I dare say the vast majority) are pretty happy with what they see.  Otherwise they wouldn't be here. 

Your attempt at analogies falls short. 
   There's no physical danger from people "driving" on the wrong side of the forum so no signs are necessary.
   On the Internet there is near-infinite bandwidth -unlike the airwaves- so the need for rules pales in comparison. You can always start your own forum.

If we created "rules", some folks - who like trouble - would split hairs, or others - who also like trouble - would complain about every infraction no matter how insignificant.

"Common sense" and civility should be the rule.  Sure some will post in the heat of the moment, or with an ax to grind or for some other less-than-stellar rationale, but that's the nature of the Internet. It's part of what makes it the Internet.  Folks who can't handle the waves shouldn't surf.

Personally, I don't know why you continue to hang out and dominate the forums on a substandard (your word) site.  There's something wrong there...

Mike N2MG
webmaster

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 08:49:39 AM »

"Common sense" and civility should be the rule."
If there are no rules, what is the standard? The terms "common sense" and "civility" are way too broad in definition. I guess that is why you are using them. Wink

Why don't you try some rules and see how they work out instead of making assumptions that something man has used for centuries to ensure social order and harmony won't work?  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:02:13 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 09:00:26 AM »

Wow, not even 5 minutes and you've responded already. If you need definitions (particularly of common sense), then I am at a loss.

Rules for SDY:
1) No more than 1 post for every 10 made by other users in any given thread (otherwise you look too needy - common sense)
2) Only 1 smiley for every 5 posts (otherwise you look silly - common sense)
3) Don't tear each opposing post apart line-by-line (otherwise you look mean - civility)

Does that help?

Mike N2MG
webmaster

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 09:02:51 AM »

I guess everyone on this string, including you, are in violation of the new rules.  Sad
Since the new rules are only for me, wouldn't that be proof of bias moderating, like I have been stating all along?  Wink
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:10:57 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »

I guess everyone on this string, including you, are in violation of the new rules.  Sad

Not me...  Been watching in bemusement (also some slight amusement, as well...); I expressed my opinion and left it at that.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:23:55 AM by N0MKC » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: