Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Czech keys  (Read 3439 times)
N8TI

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2012, 06:57:40 PM »

What do you guys think of those Czech keys?  Are they OK?  I have a Navy flameproof that I really like. Are the Czech keys anything like that?

Joe
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 05:04:22 AM »

Bearing in mind I am a total newbie, and have not even had one QSO yet (came close though!!) I really love the feel and heft and quality of my Czech Army type key. It was a good price too. The existing cord though, is a pig to solder to a jack plug as the wires are wrapped in silk.....

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
NR0U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 06:29:38 AM »

Joe,

I have been using mine for about 4 weeks and really like it.  I was using a KK1 from American Morse, which is the only other straight key I have used. This is key is much
larger and has a nice 'heavy' feel to the 'hand'. Robust and nostalgic.

I bought from Mike Bowthorpe G0CVZ, direct from his website.  $50US shipped inlcuding two connectors so you don't have to alter the original cable.  Showed up a week later and I have been using it since. 

Highly recommended.

K0URN
Lance
N8TI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »

I bought one. So I will give my opinion on it once I get it.

Joe
N8TI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 07:16:58 PM »

Well, I received my Czech key today and thought I would give my impression of it. Let's just say it is not a US made Navy key. Quite frankly, it looks like they designed this key to be at home in a bunker, not in a radio shack. The thing was designed to take the most labor to put together as possible. It is very strange and unique.

The key is very solid on the table. It will be used here as the key that I will take to the field and not worry about banging it around. I personally think it dies not have a crisp feel to it, but perhaps I have to learn how to adjust it.
Is it worth the money? Yes. But not for every day use. To throw in a box of stuff to take camping is what it should be bought for if you want not to chance damage to one of your other keys. I can't imagine anyone using this key every day.

Joe

K4PP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 04:49:59 AM »

Interesting. I just received mine too and was thinking just the opposite. I originally bought it to throw in my portable ops bag but decided to put it on the desk for use for a while. It's a unique key. Mine feels very crisp. Might have got a loose one.

K4PP
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 05:24:18 AM »

I bet it beats a left-handed Polish hand key.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 05:28:16 AM by WX7G » Logged
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 05:33:39 AM »

Hi All

At the latest fleamarket or hammarket in the Netherlands there were a few British treaders whom had about a 100 of these chech keys for abt 20 to 25 euro,s
There were more traders that sold the same keys from 15 - 25 euro's a piece.

I bought my first chech key 13 yrs ago for 14 Euro's (30 dutch FL then) and gave it away 3 yrs later as a present.
But I bought another one 3 yrs ago for 15 Euro,s in new unused preserved condx with the army storige numbers and wrapping still with the key.
I cleaned the preservation oil of the inside and the screws were all tipped with the light blue paint, and it was never touched or disassembled since it left the factory.

These keys are very well build sold now NOS in new condx. as military stocks are emptied in Chech now.
most of these keys are in mint new conserved condx and they work very good and are in the quality range of the wonderfull German Junker key, that was build from WW2 and is still produced and sold now by the original Junker compagnie in Germany.

For simple hand keys they are very fine to adjust flame proof and of very good quality .
They will last for many, many years if you find a good unused one.

73 Jos
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 06:44:42 AM »

I saw one at a hamfest a few years back. I thought it was some kind of industrial electric stapler and wondered out loud why it was mixed in with other keys :-). HI HI.
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 12:35:56 PM »

Well I have now made a total of 3 contact with mine.  Grin Still like it a lot. And to continue the nostalgia trip, I have just reserved with a friend at a hamfest today what appears to be a 1940s high impedance US Army Air Corps headset! I'm keen to give it a go in a few weeks time when I pick it up.

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
N8TI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 08:21:15 PM »

After reading the comments, I got the Czech key out and put it next to the US Navy Flameproof key. The Navy key is not a key that was intended for the field, of course. But, the Navy key fells like a smooth precision instrument compared to the Czech key.

So, while the Czech key is definitely built to stop a 7.62 mm NATO round, it certainly looks really cool and it is composed of a lot of parts, (like that big spring inside), I can't see where it should be an everyday key. I think it is a great key to use on a portable operation, a really great key for that,  but it just is not made for peacetime, everyday use. It is still a great unique key to have.

Oh, the clothlike cord and plug are neat too on the Czech key.

Joe
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 08:30:39 AM »

Thats a fair summary Joe! I like mine but then I am very inexperienced in CW and have not tried anything else. I can imagine for rough field use they would be very good.

George Orwell
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 01:43:23 PM »

Properly adjusted, this folded long-arm key will feel quite crisp and pleasant to use. It is quiet and solid - no need to worry about damaging this key. Mine is the preferred straight key of many - right on a par with my long-arm C-Flex.

Bill W2BLC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: