Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Balun PL-259 connector to tuner studs  (Read 815 times)
KB3FFH

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »

I want to put a remote tuner (SCG) that has studs on it right below a balun that has a PL-259 connector on it. This is for a ofc dipole. Do most hams use coax with a connector on one end and just split the other end apart??? Thanks
WA4FNG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:18:15 AM »

Since your tuner has studs it probably already has an internal balun. You might be able to remove the existing balun and connect the antenna directly to the tuner. I would first verify your tuner has a balun before trying this. You may need to use a piece of 450 ladder line to connect the antenna and tuner. Doesn't sound like you would use coax.
73, Milt
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:51:07 AM »

The SGC couplers typically don' like coax on the output end.  Hence, the insulated studs.   I have always connected my wire antennas directly to the output's insulated stud.  Radial system to SGC ground lug.  You can put an SO-239 on the end of a short length of ladder line, then connect the PL-259 to the SO-239 and the ladder line legs to the studs on the coupler.

Terry, WØFM
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:55:42 AM by W0FM » Logged
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 11:01:03 AM »

Hmmm.  I may have read your post incorrectly.  Does the existing balun actually have an SO-239 connector on it?  Or does it have coax with a PL-259 on the end?  If the connector on the balun is an SO-239, then connect a short length of ladder line to a PL-259 connector and plug it into the balun.  The loose ends of the ladder line then connect to the tuner's output studs.

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: