Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio shack molex connectors mounting ideas???  (Read 1677 times)
KA4LFP

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »

Hi all -

For interconnecting 12v equipment,
I have been using these Molex connectors for years in my shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103448

If that link doesn't work for you :  Model: 274-151 | Catalog #: 274-151

I have a particular schema for using these- the triangular end is always 12v+
etc - so that any 12 equipment always has one setup, and any source of 12vDC
always will mate with the right polarity.

Now I'm looking to do something better with these connectors.

I want to build an "enclosure" of  some type that would be a bit like an Ethernet
patch panel -
All the female-side connectors would be mounted in a row in a box
perhaps 1" by about 6"-8" long, with a single large cable* going back to the power supply.

My question for the group is this:

Is anyone familiar enough with Molex connectors to know if there is other standard hardware that goes with Molex products?
ie, is there already some standard plate with holes in it designed to fit these connectors?

I realise I could spend hours and hours in my workshop trying to make rectangular holes in some kind of sheet metal and get it done -
but that would be silly and time-wasting if something already exists that is made
to snap these connectors into.

Anyone know if there is such a thing as standard mounting hardware available to buy for these Molex connectors?

* I intend this bank of connectors for all the low current devices, SWR meters, panel meters in antenna tuners, etc -- NOT for high current radios like my 757GX.
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »

Not the exact answer you are looking for, but I'll say this anyway.  I used to use the Molex style, and glad I moved away from them.  I even tried the gold plated contacts;  seemed that the "cheap" brass spring action is just not good enough for my uses.  I used them in diving lights, but the issue is still there for any use.  If you insist on that style connector, go to the AMP mate N lock.  Much better holding retention and female grab strength.  Also, can get these in gold plated.  
However, you exact question is mounting in custom sheet metal.  For much of that, I'd go to the small AMP CPC round.  A hole can be easily drilled or better yet, punched with a greenlee punch.  THen, its 4 #6 screw holes;  much easier than home crafting small rectangular shapes.
And, go with Mouser.  Lots of options;  I go to RS sometimes, but it has to be a true emergency. 
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 02:14:25 PM »

The issues with those hateful molex connectors aside, you stated this would be mostly for accessories.  I get why you would want to run them from a common supply, but what advantage is being pluggable?  It's not like, especially with that connector, you'll ever plug them in anywhere else.  Most 12V accessories use a coaxial DC plug, either 2.1 or 2.5mm x 5mm.  I bought a bunch of terminated cables from All Electronics, and just wire nut them together off the back of my accessory supply.  A step up from that would be a terminal strip anchored at a convenient spot.  If you ever need to operate the device elsewhere, unplug it and then use the supplied wall wart.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 03:57:42 PM »

Come to the Powerpole dark side...we don't bite.  Tongue
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 04:23:01 PM »

Yep. I agree.  POWERPOLEtm connectors have everything you're looking for and more, including the mounting plates, multi-connector blocks, and much much more. Once you've tried them, you won't be sorry. Check into this versitile product.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 04:51:40 PM »

Yep. I agree.  POWERPOLEtm connectors have everything you're looking for and more, including the mounting plates, multi-connector blocks, and much much more. Once you've tried them, you won't be sorry. Check into this versitile product.

I used to use the Molex connectors....still have a raft of them hanging on the pegboard.... but since I went to PowerPole connectors, I don't even look at Molex anymore!
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 05:19:02 PM »

Another vote for Power Pole connectors. It's a much better choice.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: