About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY?  (Read 7215 times)
K4ZS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 05:50:21 PM »

I've made a few post about the same subject.  It appears that all we do here is talk into death ears.  Using analog meters for tuning is not an exact science, just an approximation so sliding up and down the frequency to a clear spot is not hard.  I just heard a ham in Poland go QRT because of that same complaint while working a small pileup and I didn't blame him.  A lot of times even the best rig can't remove the tuner uppers.  I watch the waterfall for knowing where the station he's talking to is and when a tuner uppper starts tuning, he's exactly on the same frequency of the DX tx frequency.  This forum is a good place to vent our frustrations but those idiots are still going to do it!
73 Randy K4ZS
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 10:21:55 PM »

Lack of common courtesy, self caring, selfishness, lack of common sense, lack of brains...that's why.  When I tune up, I do so at 4 watts about 5-10 mhz away from the RX (when working split).

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 04:33:09 AM »

Last Saturday I was trying to work 3C0E on 15 and all of a sudden some moron tunes up right on top of him. The hell! And not just for a few seconds but for about a minute. With all the chaos that was going on at the time it did not help to add more QRM. Where do these idiots come from? I bet that he always uses his amp no matter what the conditions. I have worked a lot of DX with my SteppIR vertical and only use my amp when needed. And, yeah I was using my amp that day but it is a KPA500 which does not need to be tuned which is one of the reasons that I built it! Oh and and I never did get to work 3C0E as it was just too crazy.

Zack
N8FNR
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 05:11:11 AM »

Last Saturday I was trying to work 3C0E on 15 and all of a sudden some moron tunes up right on top of him. The hell! And not just for a few seconds but for about a minute. With all the chaos that was going on at the time it did not help to add more QRM. Where do these idiots come from? I bet that he always uses his amp no matter what the conditions. I have worked a lot of DX with my SteppIR vertical and only use my amp when needed. And, yeah I was using my amp that day but it is a KPA500 which does not need to be tuned which is one of the reasons that I built it! Oh and and I never did get to work 3C0E as it was just too crazy.

Zack
N8FNR

Most of the time amps are used to out amp everybody else using amps to out amp everyone else who are using amps to out amp everybody else using amps .........

Of course the makes the amp suppliers really happy. But if stations running 100 watts and a dipole are easily making QSO's with a particular DX station. - what's the purpose of running an amp? Other than the above.

I've always heard that people use amps to make up for.... ummmm.... lets say...... shortcomings....... in other areas.  Grin    Its a joke people - see the movie "Ruthless People". (its old, but a hilarious movie)
KC2ZPK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 09:31:20 AM »

Lack of common courtesy, self caring, selfishness, lack of common sense, lack of brains...that's why.  When I tune up, I do so at 4 watts about 5-10 mhz away from the RX (when working split).
I am sure you meant 5-10 kHz

John
KC2ZPK.com - A work in progress
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 11:10:44 AM »

The whole my amp is bigger than you amp thing reminds me of a funny story that I actually saw happen.

My wife and son and I were walking on the breakwall in the harbor of Caseville on Lake Huron in Michigan many summers ago. This was a year in which the lake levels were very low and boaters had to really watch where they were going so as to not hit rocks or sandbars that were normally not a threat.

In the harbor and along the breakwall there are signs saying NO WAKE but hey, who needs to obey that?  While we were watching the comings and goings of the small craft all of a sudden a big cigarette boat comes flying down the channel to the lake making a LOT of noise and of course a huge wake. Others on the breakwall start yelling at the moron to slow down as he was causing a big chop for all of the small boats in the channel an erosion on the shore. But, no, he does not need any stinking rules and he charges out of the channel and once past the breakwall (which faces west) makes a right to go north along the Lake Huron shoreline. After he left the channel he really hammered the throttle and the speed and noise picked up. He flew along for a few hundred yards and then we all heard a bang as he hit either a rock or sandbar. All at once his engine (or engines I like to think) stopped and he started drifting. There were a lot of people watching this from a nearby beach because of the engine noise and once the engines were damaged (destroyed I hope!) there was a loud cheer and clapping because this idiot was punished. It was a very sweet moment. I really like to think that he had to get the engines replaced. Kind of in the way that I hope that the guy who was tuning up on 3C0E has an Alpha 9500 amp ($8k!) and someone finds his house and puts a pin in his coax.

Zack
N8FNR
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 11:59:39 AM »

Great story but in this case the 9500, being microcomputer controlled out the ying-yang, would sense the high SWR and shutdown self protecting itself. But I get the intent of the moral.  I think the 'freq police' ought to be able to go the boneheads house and confiscate his 9500 .... AND GIVE IT TO ME  Grin

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KK2DOG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 09:37:49 AM »

Split or no split, the ironic thing is that the next person to transmit is usually the tuner-upper!
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »

TWO WORDS

SOLID STATE  Grin

If everyone had one we would not have this problem, it would of course be replaced by some other problem like "Holla, Holla"
So those same idiots could check their power levels. Roll Eyes
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 02:13:31 PM »

TWO WORDS

SOLID STATE  Grin

If everyone had one we would not have this problem, it would of course be replaced by some other problem like "Holla, Holla"
So those same idiots could check their power levels. Roll Eyes

Then the amp will only get over-driven to splatter across the band.
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 02:34:15 PM »

Not sure about the rest of you but all my amp settings per band are marked for the usual DX frquency areas, the occasional dx that runs a gigantic split is usually the exception and resonant antennas help.
Tuning on the transmit frequency is Definitely malicious but what else is new?
Bob
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 02:48:52 PM »

Not sure about the rest of you but all my amp settings per band are marked for the usual DX frquency areas, the occasional dx that runs a gigantic split is usually the exception and resonant antennas help.
Tuning on the transmit frequency is Definitely malicious but what else is new?
Bob

I think most experienced ops who have a tube type amps without autotuning (non-Alpha 9500 types) use some sort of pre-set template or markings to allow quick band / segment changes. I have my amp set with individual templates that drop behind the TUNE/PLATE controls and have markings set for each band and if QSY requires it, several markings to take me from one end of the band to the other. In my opinion, and I think most seasoned ops would agree, there is no excuse to do on the air tuneup with a dead carrier if you take time and create your presets using a dummy load and have antennas resonant for the band of choice or another set of pre-sets for a manual tuner or taken the time to tune your autotuner's memory with saved presets. I like RTTY as I can do a 'sweetening' of the amp/tuner manaul settings while I am calling a contest station or DX. SSB and CW are a bit harder to do that with but it is possible.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 04:24:03 PM »

I guess if you were quick enough, you could always tune up on the DX listening frequency while he is giving his callsign and instructions, etc. Shocked  Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:31:59 PM by AF3Y » Logged
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 06:22:58 PM »

On CW...everyone should be polite, including the frequency "police" who send UP UP UP without end. They often cause more QRM than the guys who aren't working their transceiver split frequency feature correctly.

Sometimes the "police" will call someone a LID and I suspect that angers some who then tune up on frequency.

To the "police": We can copy the DX through a few folks who have split frequency problems but we can't copy the DX when you constantly send UP UP UP. And besides you are transmitting without identifying your station. 
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 08:32:02 PM »

WX7G: 
You seem to be legitimizing the "police." 
The only thing that needs to be said to the "police" (off the air, of course) is to shut the hell up.
Pure and simple.
Chuck  NI0C
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: