Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab  (Read 3309 times)
W9OSI

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2012, 07:38:49 PM »

Ok here goes I'm looking to install an HF station in my new truck.  This would be the first mobile install for me and for the new truck of course.  I almost want to look for an install expert around the St. Louis Mo area or alot of help here for me to install.  I want it done right the first time and I really don't know anyone around here  that does mobile installs.  My HIQ antenna is on the way still checking out rigs.  If anyone has any ideas I would rally appreciate some help here!!!!  Thanks, Dirk W9OSI
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 08:52:42 PM »

Lots of info on installation at k0BG.com and on the SGC web site.

What bands do you want ? All ?

73 N5UD /M
W9OSI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 08:45:10 AM »

Yes I would like all  but really INTO 160,80,40 MTR.
I really would like at least to do this with someone who knows what's going on for one it is a new vehicle and don't want to trash it and for two would like to learn how so I could pass this skill down as it were!  Thanks for the reply 73
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:16:55 AM »

While 160 is possible it is nearly a lost cause mobile. I would set sights a little higher band wise.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W9OSI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »

Well that is too bad!!  I thought I was setting my sights high!!!  Oh well I guess I don't have to have 160 but would like it.  It would mostly be local anyway. 
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:34:22 AM »

Given the same power and antenna length your signal on 160 meters will be 6 dB below your 80 meter signal. Add an amplifier, such as the Ameritron ALS-500 or a THP HL-450B, and you will have the same radiated power on 160 meters that you would have running 100 watts on 80 meters. Running the ALS-500 I found that mounting a 5 Farad capacitor right at the amp helped maintain full output during keying (CW).

A top hat can add a few dB to antenna efficiency if mounted at the top of the antenna. The Hi-Q cap hats are mounted lower but may help. I can run a simulation of this.  

And mounting the antenna on the top of the bed wall, rather than on the bumper, will increase your signal. So don't write off 160 meters just yet. You can give it a try with the unmodifed Hi-Q antenna and 100 watts then add a top hat and amplifier if you wish.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:44:34 PM by WX7G » Logged
W9OSI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:44:43 AM »

Thanks for the info.  Really looking into help for the install never done this before and would like to get it right the first time.  Great info on 160 thanks for the pep talk.\,(well needed)
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:03:15 AM »

"A top hat can add a few dB to antenna efficiency if mounted at the top of the antenna. The Hi-Q cap hats are mounted lower but may help. I can run a simulation of this."

Hey that might be interesting to see what the simulators say on the EB-8 1 foot, and 2 feet above the coil.

With my HI-Q 4-80 and 5 feet of whip the 2:1 SWR B/W on 40M is 75 Khz. With EB-8 added, which means another two feet of whip height, it increases 50 Khz. Receive signals come up a bit too. This arrangement puts my antenna at 13 feet above the road.

73 N5UD
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »

HF mobile can really can do well on 20m and above and on 17 and 12 you can work Europe driving down road pretty easy and not as many stations tuning a KW to compete with on warc bands in a mobile too.  As to go up in frequency the efficiency of the antenna improves and man made noise (which can be a pain mobile) tends to decrease. Yes you can run more power but for all intents and purposes a 160m mobile is a radiating dummy load. It is best to try in stationary mobile with extra wire strung out and attached to 160m antenna. (it takes some real estate to make a decent 160m antenna at home and have it work well too) 80m is a little better but still tough to be really effective mobile.  But 40 and above generally does well with little fuss. 20m is a good band but it can get very busy and competitive at times when band opens up. If you focus on upper bands mobile you will not be disappointed with results. 

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W9OSI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 11:53:01 AM »

Well I get that it will not be top shelf arm chair copy on 160m as for that and 80m I'm just looking to talk locally to and from work here.  I don't really want a DX machine it would be nice but I know there are going to be limitations.  Thank you everyone for your input.  I was looking for more info on the install, I have learned alot about what to expect band wise , but I'm really looking for local help on the install.  The top hat location was really good info, thanks for that!! I would be willing to travel a little to seek help!!!  Thanks again for all the info, any info is more than I had.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:15:21 PM by W9OSI » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 12:26:19 PM »

Honestly locally to and from work 2 meter would likely be better most of the time. (maybe 10m too)

W9OSI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 12:36:15 PM »

Honestly 2m 440 is easily mounted in my truck the hf gear is the tough part!!!!!  Alot of guys around here us HF in early AM and in the evenings!!!!!
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 12:38:45 PM »

I ran a simplified model of an 14' mobile antenna with the loading coil located 4' from the base. I assigned 15 ohms to ground loss. This model is simplified but is good enough to compare different top hats.

Efficiency
no top hat              1.6%
top hat at 6'            1.5%
top hat at 14'           2.5%

Placing the top hat far down on the whip (top hat at 6') actually decreases the antenna "current-area" thereby reducing the radiation resistance. The top hat does reduce the amount of loading inductance and consequently the loading coil losses but not enough to increase the efficiency.

The VSWR bandwidth of the 2.5% efficient antenna is 10 kHz. VSWR bandwidth is an excellent way to measure the efficiency of physically small antennas.

With the best antenna shown above and 500 watts you will radiate 12.5 watts.

I often run a 12' top loaded 1.8 MHz antenna at home. Due to having the loading coil at the top, a large top hat, and 90 radials the radiation efficiency is 5%. I have worked into Asia and Europe running 600 watts of CW. That is with a radiated power of 30 watts.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:40:52 PM by WX7G » Logged
W2RI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »

Dirk, I run a Hi-Q from a 2010 Ram 2500 Mega (picture on my QRZ page), and I get awesome signal reports. Between the antenna and the size of the truck you should have a lot of success DXing. With a short whip (no cap hat) I can work 80-10. Hitting Europe on 80M SSB is no problem from New York. On 20 and 10 I can literally work the world.

For good performance on 160M I add a cap hat and large whip. Only negative is that bandwidth is exceedingly tight on 160; when changing frequency more than a few khz I need to adjust the plunger. 

I use an Icom-7000 and, on occasion, the SGC-500. The 500 is useful on the lower bands. The noise blanker in the IC-7000 gets rid of practically all the noise, except on 10M. When I'm on 10 and conditions are poor or the signal is weak then I'll operate just on the battery (no amp).
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »

I have mobile in my car and my truck.  I use a trunk lip mount in the car. I have an ft 857 d and a 900 mhz  motorola in the car.

I have 5 radios in the pick up truck. ( 94 ford  extended cab f150 4wd).  a 1.2g, a 220mhz, a 900 mhz rig,   a 2m/440 mhz and an hf rig.  I have 4 antennas going through the roof of the cab, and several more through the bed rails, in the back.  I use a screwdriver for the hf radio, and nmo mounts on all else. I do have a large coil I can add to the larger DK-3 screwdriver for 160 but it is not very efficient ( Made by Knot / BB3) but it is such a small antenna compared to the 160 wavelength it just does not work well.  it does OK on 80 m and up.

HF can be done easily  mobile, but look at K0BG's site and  see how folks near you do it.  it is fun to talk to japan on phone while driving down the freeway,
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: