Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead end with ALS 600  (Read 4278 times)
N3AIN

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2012, 09:45:31 PM »

I recently sent my ALS 600 amp to ameritron fore replacement of the finals and relay board. When it came back, I connected it to the matching linear supply and couldn't get any power above what the rig could put out bearfoot even though the fans and lights came on at power on. I could also hear the relay click when I keyed down in AM or CW mode. I'm driving the amp with a Kenwood 480. I'm totally blind but able to measure the power and SWR with my talking power SWR meter. I called Ameritron and they said the amp worked fine in tests before they sent it back, and that I should have the fuzes in the power supply checked. I gave the supply to a tecknition friend of mine and he said the fuses all checked OK but there was a brown wire coming from the wire harnus that was floating and not connected at the other end. John from ameritron said it goes to the transformer but my friend told me there is already one going there. I have no complaints about the support I've been getting from ameritron, but we do seem to be at a dead end with this. My friend told me if he could get a good skematic of just the linear supply, he would know where the floating wire goes. I'm not even sure if that's what the problem is but it doesn't seem likely that a wire should just be floating in this thing. The amp did work before I blew the finals, but I don't know if that brown wire was unattached  at that point or not. If it was, I don't know how it came off since I never had the cover off the amp or supply. Can anyone please tell me where I can get an accurate diagram fore just the linear supply fore the ALS 600. Thanks in advance. You can answer off list if you prefer.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:04:38 AM »

Sorry to hear about your issues , if its just the power supply that needs checked out , I will do it free for you to help out. If you had the MRF-150's replaced , it would be a good idea to have the RF deck tested as well to assure they were installed correct and function. Feel free to email me if you need assistance.  grassa@earthlink.net

The schematics are here...

http://www.ameritron.com/pdffiles/ALS-600.pdf
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 06:29:22 AM »

I will do it free for you to help out. If you had the MRF-150's replaced , it would be a good idea to have the RF deck tested as well to assure they were installed correct and function

Now THIS is ham radio at its best! 
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 06:38:46 AM »

The ALS-600 manual shows where to connect the BROWN wire. The manual can be downloaded at DX Engineering.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:43:09 AM »

N4ATS: "If its just the power supply that needs checked out , I will do it free for you to help out."

>Now THIS is ham radio at its best! 

Yes it certainly is.  I can guarantee you that if I ever need to have any equipment worked on, it will be going to N4ATS!  Based on the postings of his that I have read, he has a way above average attitude regarding customer service and wanting to help people out.  That trait is very hard to find these days.  I for one am very appreciative that we have people like that out there contributing to the hobby and willing to help a fellow amateur out.

Carlton
W4AJF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:23:54 AM »

I have dealt with Bill Grassa N4ATS MANY times. He has fixed MANY items for me and is an expert with amps as well as many radios. He always gives me advise as well. He is EXTREMELY fair and does a great job. I have had MANY things repaired by him, they work 100% and stay that way. I trust him like a brother.

Adam Farber W4AJF
Woodland Hills, CA
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »

Joe (N3AIN) , I am going to send you a prepaid Fast Pack , all you have to do is bag both items , put it the box , seal and drop off at FedEx , I will take a look at it for you on me. If what you say is true and the relay "chatters" when you apply RF (per email) , I'll bet one of the FETS is installed wrong or blown causing excessive current , crowbarring the power supply. (my guess). Either way at least we can get an assessment on it and flow down a recover path from there. I will email you for your address and number.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:02:35 PM by N4ATS » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 06:37:05 PM »

Joe (N3AIN) , I am going to send you a prepaid Fast Pack , all you have to do is bag both items , put it the box , seal and drop off at FedEx , I will take a look at it for you on me. If what you say is true and the relay "chatters" when you apply RF (per email) , I'll bet one of the FETS is installed wrong or blown causing excessive current , crowbarring the power supply. (my guess). Either way at least we can get an assessment on it and flow down a recover path from there. I will email you for your address and number.

I wonder what this world would be like if everyone was this nice?
This post made my day so much brighter, maybe I will skip the news tonight and let this feeling last awhile longer Wink
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:40:22 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »

MJR:  As a ham of 55 years let me tell you that this is the way it used to be...across the board!  I can't count the number of times I've had help with problems and consequently I learned to help others when I was in a position to.  Sometimes it was because I was younger and stronger than the old timers who could no longer climb or crawl through attics or figure out things on the primitive computers back in the day.  This was ham radio.  And the crap you presently hear on the high end of 75 meters never existed back then.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 10:42:15 AM »

Good Show my friend.  We can all do something.  I can't fix anything, and being disabled I cannot do much physically for others, but I like to get good "deals" on equipment and supplies.  I remember back in 1978 when I first got my ticket, that I had so save up for a 100 foot roll of coax from radio shack, as I had a family to support and such. so now I get stuff  in quanity when I find it cheap.  this lets me give folks just getting started in radio some coax, connectors, used antennas  and such to help get them on the air.  we had a young lady who got her ticked last fall at age 11, so I gave her a little HT for her great job. Its only a few bucks for me but lets her know She done good.

so all of you old fart hams like me out there, I challenge you to do something nice for  someone  today, it does not have to be a ham,  but do something nice for someone, it surprises them but it makes you feel super inside.  you always get more than you give  .  help another ham, buy dinner for a military man  in a restaurant.  pay the toll for some one behind you in  line or even buy a starbucks for the folks behind you in the coffee line.  its is great fun!!!
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »

Been doing things like this for years , it reaps a great harvest. My wife and I eat out a lot. Once a month we pick a table with a family eating dinner at it and ask the waitress to put their tab on ours but say nothing. Its interesting to see the reactions. We recently paid for four Armed Service men at a Sonny's , they were all smiling from ear to ear and had NO clue we were sitting right next to them. When we arrived back at home , a "HAM" was at my door and stated he is no longer able to maintain his house because of age and was moving into an apartment. He handed me his FL-7000 and stated he knew it was a passion of mine to keep them alive., I gave it away to another ham that was disabled and on fixed income , it made his year... Coincidence? I don't think so...

If you want something good to happen to you , you jump first..... Watch what happens. It works.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 11:41:26 AM »

exactly.  Sometimes when I go to the grocery store, I buy the groceries for the folks in front or behind me in line.  Usuall I get a smile or a hung, but sometimes  wonderful things happen.

one fellow I did this for shook my hand and was in tears.  I said it was no big deal and he said no, you don't understand.  he said he had $20 till payday, ( 5 days away), and needed groceries for his family, and gas for his car.  since I got him the food, he could now get gas and make it to work . he said he was very grateful.  Stuff like this happens Mir than you would think. there is a reason this happens.  for me it is only a little extra money, but for them it is a huge difference.

I also tell the waitress or waiter to not tell them who bought their dinner.  And if it is military folks I tell the waitress to tell them its from some one who appreciates the service they give to the country, and thanks. .  I always tell them to not say who bought them dinner.  you end up gaining way more in the warm fuzzies  inside, than you could  ever imagine.

I think if someone did this for me when I came back from Viet Nam, I would not have half the problems I have to day, but that is not why I do it.  try it once and see what you feel.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 06:13:13 AM »

I think the brown wire is a red herring. How to troubleshoot the ALS-600 from outside the box. This should be done before poking around inside the amp/power supply:

Is the band switch set correctly?
Is the ALC set correctly or disabled (unplug it from the exciter)
Is the power supply meter showing about 60 volts unloaded? If so there is no problem with the brown wire.
Does the current meter show about 1 amp of current with the amp keyed but NO RF drive?
Does the amp power meter show the exciter power when the exciter is keyed but the amp is in STANDBY?
Does the power supply voltage drop to about 50 volts when the amp is driven with 50 watts?
Does the amp power meter show 500 watts when driven with 50 watts?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:55:13 AM by WX7G » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: