Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Documenting your shack, looking for suggestions  (Read 11220 times)
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 03:09:33 PM »

Lots of good suggestions for capturing the information electronically.  Before you start doing that stuff, though, consider the version control and backup requirements.  It'd suck the big one to accidentally wipe out or foul up all that hard earned documentation with no backups, no ability to go back to a prior version, etc. -- Signed, a software developer  Grin
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 05:51:08 PM »

Scott you may very well be able to do what you are thinking using mindmapping software such as FreeMind. I think that the support for pictures in nodes is rather primative but it might just work for your application.

Mindmapping is bit more free form than using something like a flat list or Excel
spreadsheet. What is very nice is the ability to create a hierarchy and to hide information at lower levels so it can be very useful for outlining presentations etc. I often use it in place of a flat list.

FreeMind is an open source project so the software can be downloaded and used freely.
It is written in Java so it will run on practically any platform. You may find that some of the
commercial MindMapping Software may suite you particular application better but I would
suggest that you start with FreeMind to get your head around the ideas and see if you
like it.

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB

P.S. Just google "FreeMind" or "MindMapping" .

Ok, I admit I am a bit OCD, but I am in the process of designing my new shack in an unfinished part of my basement. I was looking for a easy way to capture my designs, mods, equipment lists, manuals, cabling, pictures, maybe articles that I am referencing, etc. Currently I am putting everything in a file cabinet, but would like to use some sort of electronic means. Anyone tackle documenting their shack in such a way? My crazy idea was a picture of the setup that I could click on the rig and up would come the manual and a wiring diagram for the cables. Click on an antenna lead and see the type, test results and age of cable, etc.

Scott (KD4EBL)
KD4EBL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 09:45:23 AM »

Just a quick update. I have started to gather all my documentation electronically and am storing it on "Dropbox", this way I can access it from any mobile device, where ever I am (copies to my smatr phone, ipad, etc.) In addition the orginal and a work copy are stored at my QTH. I also have a spreadsheet in google docs that I also keep a list of everything I own, works for me when I am at a hamfest and forget the type of antenna mount a certain adapter is needed for.
ND6P

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 04:31:59 AM »

For drawings that show how my station is interconnected, I use TinyCAD.  It's free.  It's good for drawing electronic schematics as well.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 04:45:05 AM »

I'm still old fashioned in that regard.  I use a binder which also holds the rig users manual and paperwork, including manuals I've downloaded or sent for.  Three or four sheets at the beginning of the section for the particular rig holds information such as when I got the rig, for how much, any repairs or modifications made, parts used, and so on.  More than one person has been pleased that I had a packet with all this info and the manuals for the rigs I've sold--and you don't have to have a computer or any sort of electronic gizmo to read it either!

I use printed lists on a clipboard.

By looking at the list, I know where every wire connects.

http://www.w8ji.com/contest_station_w8ji.htm

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: