Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home brew antennas: Best sources of cheap material to make the elements are ???  (Read 2477 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:49:55 AM »

1. 10-15-20 and 25 ft long telescoping light wt fiberglas fishing poles for $10-15 each, available at a few places like Gander Mtn.(you may have to ask) They last years.
2. pvc pipe of the 1.5-2" variety from Home Depot etc.  Lets you put one of the above fishing poles in it to get to  the length needed for a wire 40M Vert or GP antenna
3. trashed yagis if you can find them cheap.
4. others..?
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 05:49:42 PM »

I have used coat hangers, old TV rabbit ears, and 2X2 lumber with any kind of wire taped on to it.
KD4EBL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:04:45 AM »

Lots of people are still giving away old TV antennas. My neighbor had three mounted in her attic that she gave me and I have constructed two antennas from the parts. These had never been exposed to the outside elements. My club often has free antennas (and other goodies) that hams who are downsizing, or widows donate to the club. I have a nice Ringo Ranger II that I am cleaning up to get back on the air this weekend. Try an ad on freecycle or the free section of Craigslist as well.
N0NZG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »

The 2 element 20 meter yagi on my roof is made from bamboo and 16 ga wire. Electric fence wire works well. The wire that is woven into a light uv resistant rope for electric fences works well. PVC pipe, telescoping fiber glass flag poles and fishing poles. When camping I take magnet wire from large relay coils to make disposable wire antennas. I am not sure how thin you can go ,but I do know 22ga wire will hold at least a KW.  Keep the good ideas flowing.
KE6WNH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:23:43 PM »

Don't forget about bankruptcy & liquidation stores. Over the years, I obtained plenty of goodies dirt cheap from an outfit which unfortunately went out of business 3 years ago. I used to find all sorts of aluminum pipe and rods, spools of wire and cable, stainless fasteners, and all sorts of useful things they'd obtained from small factories which closed down. You'd go broke buying all this stuff new.
KE7ZOI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 09:09:09 AM »

Grin don't forget YARD sales, look in those boxes. I found 300 feet of cat4 wire for $2.00. Four pair of 24 gauge twisted wire inside A nice sheath. I cut two sides at 68 feet twisted all wires together and made A 135 foot center fed dipole works on 5 main bands. total cost $7.00.
73 keep lookin
 Dave ke7zoi
 Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: