Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT that does AM Band 535-1605Khz for RX?  (Read 3322 times)
WALTERB

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2012, 12:24:21 PM »

Hi,

I'm debating about buying a new HT and the Wounun brand Handhelds look pretty good. I noticed that some of the models have an FM Rx option to receive commerical FM broadcasts.  Is there a similar feature on any handheld that has RX for AM so I can listen to the ballgame or something?  Grin

thanks
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 12:58:22 PM »

Hi,

I'm debating about buying a new HT and the Wounun brand Handhelds look pretty good. I noticed that some of the models have an FM Rx option to receive commerical FM broadcasts.  Is there a similar feature on any handheld that has RX for AM so I can listen to the ballgame or something?  Grin

thanks

I did some research. Yaesu and Alinco both make higher end ones that RX AM bands

thanks
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »

Add Kenwood's TH-F6A to the list.

You should try the HT you want to get before you buy because they aren't all the same. I have a VX-6R that also receives broadcast AM but it requires a separate antenna to receive all but the strongest AM signal. The rubber ducky isn't good enough and I don't think it has a built in ferrite bar antenna like some other models.
KATEKEBO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 06:49:42 PM »

Yaesu VX-3, VX-6, VX-7 and VX-8 all receive continuously from 0.5 to 999 MHz without interruption, except cellular bands.  All of them have a "dedicated" AM, SW and FM broadcast bands.
KB7AIL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 12:56:27 PM »

To *really* receive Medium Wave, a ferrite bar antenna inside the case is necessary.  I know the Yaesu VX-3 has one and you should look through the specs of any HT you are thinking about if this is a very important feature. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Kenwood's triband HT has a ferrite antenna also.  The Yaesu VX-3 also receives FM Stereo when using a set of earphones.

That said, using the stock antenna, my Yaesu VX-5 can receive the strongest MW broadcast stations in my area.  I can get the most powerful FM broadcasts also. It doesn't work as well as a dedicated AM/FM radio but it does work.  I can receive WWV also. The VX-5 is really handy to take along everywhere.  I can put it in my coat pocket and not look like a radio goon. The VX-3 is even smaller.

Yes, I know, the ham bands are the most important. But it's nice to have some of these side benefits of a wide range receiver.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 12:31:06 PM »

The TH-F6a does have a ferrite bar antenna. It can be switched in or out using the menus, if you have a long wire connected to the SMA connector.

However, don't expect a lot of DX listening using the bar antenna.
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »

The Kenwood TH-F6A and the Alinco Tri Bander DJ-G7T both cover the AM & FM broadcast band
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »

While the F-6 and others do have a ferrite bar antenna built in,unless the station is strong and local you won`t hear it. Sensitivity on the broadcast bands is very weak at best. With a length of wire it would be better,especially on the sw bands. I suggest listening to one before buying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: