Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AL-811H bandswitch alignment with rear wafer switch  (Read 1940 times)
KE5KDT

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2010, 04:23:30 PM »

Took my 811H faceplate off to change it and did not note the position of the rear wafer switch in relation to the front bandswitch.   It has a shaft that goes to the rear switch and I checked all the indentations from the set screws to get it right and I'm sure the knob and front main bandswitch are correct but the rear wafer is connected by a long shaft with a coupler that could allow the rear switch to be off just a bit.  I need a couple of pictures of the inside of the amp with the amp in the 160 and 20/30 and aux settings.  These should show (inside the amp) the front bandswitch so the wafer is very visible along with the same with the rear one.  I have got to be able to see where the split in the rear wafer copper plate is when in the 160 and aux settings.  If you can talk me through it on the phone my number is 210-414-2500 and email leer66@hotmail.com     Thanks, Bob  KE5KDT
KE5KDT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 09:29:49 AM »

From Mike at Ameritron tech support, 21 June 2010.  The rear bandswitch has two half-moon contact surfaces on the face of the wafer with a contact finger on each one.  Each finger must make continual contact with its' half-moon during the turning of the bandswitch from 160 through AUX. It doesn't matter if the rear switch got turned 180 both halfs the same he said. So here is what you do:
1. Place the front bandswitch in 160m and tighten the coupler screw on the front bandswitch shaft extension (has a flat) that goes to the coupler. 
 2.  The rear coupler screw that tightens to the shaft extension "will be loose"  Slide the shaft extension back and forth so that it goes into the rear wafer and also fits into the front coupler far enough to later tighten the coupler screw.
3. Rotate the shaft extension (front bandswitch stays in 160 position) so the half-moons are basically one on top of the other with the gap between the two halfs "about level" with each other.
4. On the rear wafer, locate the top contact finger, on the right side of the wafer, and using the shaft extension, rotate the the half-moon carefully until there is about 1/16 inch gap between the finger and the edge of the half moon.  Check the bottom finger and its spacing also, they should be about equal.
5.  Tighten the rear coupler screw and rotate the bandswitch through AUX and check the space between the finger and the other side of the half-moon is about equal distance from the edge of the half-moon.  If not loosen the screw and make a fine adjustment on the shaft extension until the finger to edge distance is about the same in the 160m or Aux positon.  The finger should stay on its respective half-moon in all bandswitch positions.
6.  If you power up and the amp smokes, call Mike at Ameritron.   

KC9PRE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 11:06:23 AM »

Mike is great!!! Give him a call.Very helpful
KE1DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 03:41:22 PM »

Does anybody have a close up picture of the wafer position with band in the 160M position. Pic is worth a 1000 words.  I read the article, but would apprecite a close up of the front of the wafer switch. Thanks

KE1DX
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 04:46:29 PM »

I think tom W8ji has it on his page describing 572 upgrade on 811h.
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: