Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: icom 736 and al811h hookup  (Read 3797 times)
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »

Actually two of my favorites, Larry the cable guy and Jeff Foxworthy so you don't need to split. BTW Larry was born in Nebraska. Jeff's dad was an IBM exec, so they are both an act, not real rednecks like me.

Frank
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 05:14:35 AM »

Frank, really, I don't mind sharing with you.  I don't know what Jeff has to do with it, but I watch his show all the time, I love it.  I am also a Jeopardy freak as well.  My wife says I should go on the show.  But, to stay on topic.  A few years back when the economy was doing real well a ham friend of mine who was the Dean of "outsource education" in a local technical college offered me a part time job.  It was his job with the college to provide teachers for outsourced education.  Big companies would contact the school and ask to provide courses for their employees on site.  They would get all sorts of requests, like teaching lanugages etc.  He got a request from a company to send someone in to give a course on "electronic/electric troubleshooting" .  His job was to gather the information on exactly what they wanted then find someone to teach a course about what they want.  When he got this particular request he thought of me because I had done repairs on his amplifier, and his old Swan 350 and I rewired his whole basement when he finished it off.  He figured that I had both bases covered, electronic and electrical.  So I took the job and worked up a course to teach the workers at this company on how to go about troubleshooting problems with equipment.  The basis of the course was to establish a plan of attack when something was not working.  I gave them a flow chart.  Following the flow chart would lead them to a fix or a decision that more advanced repair was needed and the equipment would need to be pulled and sent out.  We went into ohms law and power law as well as learning about fuses etc. I always got a laugh when I told them to make sure the unit was plugged in and hooked up correctly.  Many of us think too big when something does not work.  We overlook the small stuff.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:19:03 AM by W1QJ » Logged
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 06:07:29 AM »

Interesting Lou and true in my experience. As I mentioned in a previous post I have conected my cables wrong at least once that I can recall, (other times I forgot). It is the simple things some of us overlook as you say " thinking too big". I also have the fault of engaging my keyboard before my brain. I am glad the problem was discovered and he should not feel like the lone ranger as in my long years as an amateur I have made many mistakes and look foward to some more before I quit.
Jeff lived about 20 miles from me in Hapeville, GA. and his dad worked in Atlanta for IBM. I did not personally know either.

Frank
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: