Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best SW antenna ?  (Read 43014 times)
AB4TI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 07:05:02 AM »

A 25 to 50' wire outside the shack and a decent ground is probably the least expensive and most effective way to go if you have room. A pre selector can help tune the wire for maximum effect if you have the funds. Depending on which SW radio you're using too long a wire will overload some less expensive, poorly designed radio's Hope this helps.
73 de Dan AB4TI
VE7SHM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 07:05:15 AM »

Well for me so far the T2FD has been the best general antenna i have used with my radios for SWL .Its so quite i can use a preamp which give me 20 db but hardly raises the noise level ,I took my long wire down and will not be putting it back up, i have a para end-fed SWL i find it to noisy .
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »

"preamp which give me 20 db but hardly raises the noise level "

QRN is a signal too. I can think of very, very few situations where adding an untuned preamp to a tenth-way decent receiver will make a signal more copyable.

Reminds me of when I was a dumb 12 year old and figured that hooking up the family hi fi amp to my dreadful novice receiver would help pull in DX (after all, the hi fi amp had a bazillion dB of gain, right?).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:57:23 PM by K0OD » Logged
KC9EJG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 10:09:35 AM »

Thank You.
VE7SHM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 01:34:55 PM »

Thank You.

The t2fd works great by it's self and are very easy to make .And way quieter than any random wire good luck ......

http://www.radiohc.org/Distributions/Dxers/ttfd2.html
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »

I find that a 50' or 100' spool of 16ga stranded random long-wire works for my purposes. Most auto parts stores sell a spool of this wire for cheap. I have the room for an inverted-L across the roof (E-W) and down the side of the house or a (N-S) sloper from the house roof to the garage roof. Both give good omni-directional reception.
 As mentioned previously a good ground may cut noise and increase gain particularly on lower frequencies, except if this is an AC-DC boatanchor (don't ground this chassis).
 Lightning protection is important to protect house and property and maybe equipment unless your antenna is run inside across the attic.
 A quality receiver with a good RF amplifier and preselector section can make DX listening much more enjoyable than a mediocre receiver. 
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 06:00:39 AM »

Not trying to be a smart butt, but the "BEST" antenna would probably be a full size rotatable yagi for each frequency mounted on towers that are at least one wave length high.  This will be a rather costly proposition given the number of yagis and towers required and the size there of, especially on the lower frequencies.  Ever see a 3 element 1.8 MHz yagi mounted on a 555 foot tower (one wavelength on 1.8MHz).....

For good all around results a wire as long as possible and as high as possible will work very well.

Dick  AD4U
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:42:48 AM by AD4U » Logged
KE4VVF

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 09:07:53 PM »

The best antenna for me is my $50 102' G5RV @ 50' strung between 3 trees as a horizontal flat top.  Almost invisible and picks up weak stations very very well.  Had it @ 20' and it didn't work nearly as good for SWL, so what ever antenna you use height is truly the key.
K5OF

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »

If you can not respond in a nice way or query as what his goals/situation presents than why respond at all except to flame the guy.  The fellow ham is interested in a serious response. And with maybe further clarification that he can provide maybe that would be the appropriate response. It does not need to be done by demeaning him or his question. Hams like K0OD need to be avoided. Smart @#$ comments need to be avoided. We are all here to help if we can. There is no such thing as a stupid question. If he needs help then provide it if you can. If not then stay out of the thread. I can not provide any help but I will participate in the thread as long as persons like K0OD want to demean a person and make another fellow ham feel like he can not ask a question without getting flamed. I will possibly have a question that might not be the brightest and if so I hope I get a response such as "Hey Ed, please tell else a little more?" Enough said Good luck KC9EJG and 73! Ed
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:27:07 PM by K5OF » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »

Hey, I ask dumb questions too. But I very rarely ask lazy ones.

K5OF, welcome to Eham. 
KC9EJG

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »

To those of you who responded in a good way I say " Thank You " I am a very lucky radio operator. I have had a very bad stroke an it took two years to get back to some normalise. I am wanting to put up something that will do me a good job so I can use a Icom R75 in the sleeping area that I have. So 73's to all who tried to help me. Oh bye the way I have some brain problems trying to put things in the right context some times but being a jerk is not one of them. I am just thankful that God seen fit to spear me so that I might see my 1st grandchild born. Well I have rambled on so I will close.

73's
VE7SHM

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 07:11:46 PM »

To those of you who responded in a good way I say " Thank You " I am a very lucky radio operator. I have had a very bad stroke an it took two years to get back to some normalise. I am wanting to put up something that will do me a good job so I can use a Icom R75 in the sleeping area that I have. So 73's to all who tried to help me. Oh bye the way I have some brain problems trying to put things in the right context some times but being a jerk is not one of them. I am just thankful that God seen fit to spear me so that I might see my 1st grandchild born. Well I have rambled on so I will close.

73's

Oh every forum has a few bone heads pay them no mind ,As a few have suggested a simple random wire will work at my home there to noisy but maybe fine  at yours ............
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 08:24:16 AM »

73's

Richard,

I think you are credit to the hobby!
The way you have dealt with your disabilities and the way you have overcome adversity to maintain your interest in Radio is an inspiration to us all.
I hope to meet you on the air someday and I wish you the very best of luck for the future. Take care.

Kind Regards

Fred EI4GMB
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:20:29 PM by EI4GMB » Logged

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 07:56:32 AM »

Put a log-periodic with 13-30MHz coverage at 70' or thereabouts...and run several multiband slopers (Alpha Delta DX-SWL or a homebrew equivalent thereof) from the apex of the tower - in the directions of interest. Say, Europe, Africa, South America, the South Pacific and Japan/China. Then connect them to a remote-controllable tower-mounted switchbox.

Works good at my shack; will probably work for you as well.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »

A Beverage antenna. Period.

http://www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html

You will hear LOTS of weaker signals that you won't hear on your random-wire, vertical, inverted-L, dipole, or most other antennas; not to mention a worthwhile reduction of unwanted signals and noise from undesired directions. If you have the space, you should consider at least one Beverage antenna, even just a simple single-wire Beverage.

Even a short Beverage antenna or a BOG is better than no Beverage! Although Beverages are typically at least one wavelength long on the lowest band, even a half-wave (or even shorter) Beverage antenna can very often out-hear any vertical or dipole antenna you might have.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: