Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Odd fluttering noise?  (Read 1013 times)
KG5UN

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2012, 07:22:46 AM »

Not sure how else to describe it and hope someone can help.

My mobile HF is working great, but recently I noticed that when I start off from a stop I hear what can only be describe as a "fluttering" on my received audio. Not sure if it is on the TX audio. Seems to lessen and go away as I get up to speed.   Any ideas?

Running a Yaesu ATAS100 mounted on an "L" shaped plate screwed to the back of my tool box in the bed of my truck. Rig is a Yaesu FT-100, powered directly off the battery and grounded through the floor of the truck.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:05:09 AM »

Without a recording of same, it is anyone's guess. It could be ABS sensors, or even ignition.

Go to my web site, and bring up the Noise ID article, and play the AIFs.

KG5UN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 03:00:45 PM »

Thanks for the link, I listened to the sounds and none of them are what I am experiencing. My issue is more of something that is noticed on a received signal, the audio has a fluttering or buffeting quality if that makes any sense.  It is not present when at rest but only happens when I begin moving.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 07:06:32 PM »

I had a problem with a  trunk lip mount on a hf screwdriver  fluttering at speed.  The fix was to run a ground from the  shield side of the antenna mount to the body side of the hinge.  What was happening was the trunk is setting on a rubber gasket all the way around and at speed the lid would "float" up and sown  on the hinges from the air flow over the trunk.  this would make and break the  electrical  ground for the antenna , causing flutter. a piece of  braid from some old coax and some heat shrink made  a 100 % full time ground and fixed this.  you may be having a similar problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: