About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STOP  (Read 2787 times)
LB5KE

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2012, 08:55:18 AM »

Why are older telegrams saturated with <STOP> ? Didn't they have the period sign on older typewriters?
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:06:37 AM »

Using any punctuation was an extra cost with Western Union.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:03:14 AM »

Using any punctuation was an extra cost with Western Union.

Yep. In fact, the way that telegrams were priced caused people to learn to cram as much info into as few letters as possible, to reduce the cost. What texters and tweeters do isn't new at all.

73 de Jim, N2EY
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:33:36 AM »

I remember that PCH, a coastal station, with daily news bulletins for maritime vessels 20 wpm, which was the way I acquired and learned Morse code, had the separation between items as full spelled STOP.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:40:45 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:50:37 AM »

Story goes that the patriarch of an auld Scots family who had emigrated to the USA was in ill health and not expected to live.  The hospital sent a telegram to Glasgow.  The man's sons and grandsons decided that ONE member of the clan should hurry to the dying man's bedside and told him to send a telegram back with any developing news.  "And remember, ye can send up to ten words for a dollar, and periods are free!"

So the chosen one set off for America and duly visited the hospital.  A couple days later, the Glaswegians received the dreaded news:

Arrived safely.  Father dead.  Funeral Tuesday.  Rangers four.  Bruins one.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 11:03:45 AM »

Arrived safely.  Father dead.  Funeral Tuesday.  Rangers four.  Bruins one.

Can you explain that, when I use Bablefish and translate the bable-fish result back to englist with bablefish
I obtain: Safely arrived. Dead father. Burial Tuesday. Mounted police celebrates. Brown
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 11:23:59 AM »

Don't worry about the translation.  It isn't humorous in English either!  (It really doesn't make any sense to me.  Scots wouldn't care about hockey/basketball teams).

Rangers = Ice hockey team.  Ranger can refer to law enforcement, police, sheriff, or further back in English/Anglo history to someone who travels long distances, is perhaps a bit mysterious with special powers, ability or wisdom

Bruin = Ice hockey team or university basketball team.  Bruin refers to the animal 'bears'.  Origin is either Old English or Latin.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:32:36 AM by KB4QAA » Logged
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 12:02:23 PM »

Ah,

Tks fr explanation. Same kind of humor when asking young guys "What is your opinion about Toulouse Lautrec?"
And the guy hesitates and answers 1 - 0 ? Because he thought it were the name of two sporting clubs and really it is the name of a  painter.

I don't know how you pronounce bruin, it is a dutch word which means the color brown, and also the cute name often given to (toy) bears.
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 02:46:36 PM »

Look at http://www.telegraph-office.com/pages/telegram.html

Using an appliance without CW is just CB
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »

This wouldn't happen to be a case where the "cheap" Scot wanted to use ten words for a buck and not waste space for four words?Huh??
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »

This wouldn't happen to be a case where the "cheap" Scot wanted to use ten words for a buck and not waste space for four words?Huh??

That was, I believe, the point of the story.  Roll Eyes

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
LB5KE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 12:54:18 PM »

Another reason is that periods are not normally spoken, so if some one are reading up a telegram from some one over the phone, a small error in the way the reader reads the message,  could leave to grave consequences.

BTW, Thanks for the link Smiley

http://www.telegraph-office.com/pages/telegram.html#Punctuation
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:30:19 PM by LB5KE » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: