Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guy wire-bearing cup for a mast  (Read 1214 times)
KE6WNH

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »

Neither my budget nor the placement of my station allow for a tower, so naturally the next best alternative is a mast. I can't afford a rotator---at least until I can get one of my books published and sold---but there was a problem of how to secure the mast with guy wires while it will still be rotatable.

Well, I hit on the idea of a 2-piece stainless steel collar... the lower half clamps firmly onto the mast and has a disc for a bearing race. The top half is essentially an inverted cup with a bearing race disc which slips down to overlap the lower half, and it will have 3 trunnions on the outside for the guy wire cables. The whole thing will be welded together with 308L stainless MIG wire. Instead of trying to locate ball bearings (which can rust or gum up), I found assorted sizes of stainless steel balls on Amazon to fit between the upper and lower halves of my creation. Granted, there will be some corrosion over the years, but nowhere near as bad as I'd have to deal with from steel and aluminum components. There aren't too many things a body can't make with a lathe and a welder.  Wink

The only thing left to do after that is to calibrate the mast with Polaris, and I'll be ready to enjoy my 3 homebrew beams.
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:00:17 PM »

SOunds like it would work, but it would be time consuming and cost some money.

Yaesu makes their bearings for cheap and they have provision for mast mounting to do exactly what you want.  I have been using them for several years with large antennas in heavy wind and they have held up perfectly.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-002774
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: