Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu bails on FT450/FT450AT Owners  (Read 36103 times)
KC2NYU

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2012, 05:32:37 PM »

Have you heard of Yaesu's recent decision to abandon the owners of FT-450s and FT-450AT. Yaesu will provide  software updates to provide the FCC 60M digital frequency mods for the FT-450D but not the FT-450 and FT-450AT. But to make matters even worse, is that Yaesu removed all previous software updates for the 450 and 450AT radios from the Yaesu website.  It is all about a consumer buying a product and not getting appropriate 'customer service' in return. The 450 is a relatively new radio - a consumer has an expectation of support for a reasonable amount of time. This is tantamount to Microsoft no longer supporting Vista or XP after releasing Windows 7. It shows a complete lack of respect and us FT450 owners leaves feeling screwed by Yaesu.

Paul
kc2nyu
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:53:05 PM »

I've been saying for some time that situations like this are just the tip of the iceberg!  Wait until the fancy chips used in the high end radios crap out and no replacements are available!
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:53:34 PM »

It is a sad affair that Yaesu is doing what it is. They used to be a good company, but now have went downhill in there support of a fairly new radio (I have had mine for a little over two years). I was planning to upgrade to a more expensive Yaesu in the future, but now I will be looking into Icom, Ten Tec or Kenwood. I may also consider Elecraft high end. I hate to say good buy to a company that I have bought from for a long time. First receiver was a FRG-7000, but with minimal support I will not spend several thousand dollars for one of there radios. There is a FT-450 forum going on now on the Yahoo Yaesu site.

I had inquired about this when they first changed to channel on the 60 meter band and was told the software upgrade would be avalable soon and they were working on it. So much for that. The only recommendation is to not buy there product remember there are not that many ham operators and they will lose there customer base.

73s

K2OWK
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 07:07:09 PM »

I have already decided to go to Elecraft. I will never utter a good word about Yaesu again. I too was told the software updates were coming, and then this. The Yaesu US guys say, don't shoot arrows at us, it is those guys in Japan making the decisions. One of them recommend that the fix is to go in and mod the radio yourself, so you can use the new 60M freqs.
So, I am now a  buy American guy. I belong to the Yahoo FT-450 list and when this subject came up on the list, the "owner" shut it down after one day. Guess, he is a Yaesu company "guy"

Paul
KU4GW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:02:54 PM »

I've heard they do this because they can't get the parts anymore just like they did with abandoning my FT-1000MP Mark V, but it looks like to me they could stock up on thousands of the IC's that their rigs do use while the getting is good so they could keep providing customer support on them longer than what they do! They could, but the almighty dollar is their only concern. Besides if they kept their integrated circuit radio repairable for many years like the old FT-101's and other vacumn tube rigs they wouldn't sell as many radios. They know exactly what they're doing and when it comes time to purchase my next rig I'll keep that in mind and maybe buy my first Elecraft or Ten-Tec. Surely somebody out there buys up enough IC stock to provide many years of support? I hope so anyway! I sure do love my Mark 5 and I loathe the day I can no longer have it repaired!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 05:16:01 AM »

Have you heard of Yaesu's recent decision to abandon the owners of FT-450s and FT-450AT. Yaesu will provide  software updates to provide the FCC 60M digital frequency mods for the FT-450D but not the FT-450 and FT-450AT. But to make matters even worse, is that Yaesu removed all previous software updates for the 450 and 450AT radios from the Yaesu website.  It is all about a consumer buying a product and not getting appropriate 'customer service' in return. The 450 is a relatively new radio - a consumer has an expectation of support for a reasonable amount of time. This is tantamount to Microsoft no longer supporting Vista or XP after releasing Windows 7. It shows a complete lack of respect and us FT450 owners leaves feeling screwed by Yaesu.

Paul
kc2nyu

Did you also ever consider that maybe it was possible that some were applying the wrong update to wrong model and to avoid this Yaesu pulled old flashes? Modern rigs that can use software flashes can get long in tooth and dated quickly (compared to older Analog designs) and hard to support hardware wise when parts of spec it was made from are no longer available. As far as comparison to Windows support, it is easier to support old OS software than rigs you can no longer get parts for. Yaesu does not make parts itself and if they are not available there is little they can do.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KJ4YAC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 07:36:14 AM »

Over six years ago, I bought a Compaq notebook PC running Windows XP.  A year or so ago, Microsoft said that they were no longer updating XP.  OK, I said to myself, there's been two new operating systems since then, no big deal.

So the other night when I shut off my PC (which I use for digital modes) I was surprised to see that it was applying a Microsoft update as it was shutting down.  I checked on this and found that there's a new virus/trojan out there and Microsoft was applying a patch to my old XP system to protect it. Somebody at Microsoft must have said "What about our customers that are still running XP?We've got to take care of them too."  And they did.

Yaesu should take a page from Microsoft's book and take care of "old" customers.  I'm running a FT-450D; I wonder when they    replaced the AT version with the 450D....can't be that many years ago.
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 09:01:18 AM »

I believe the FT-450D came out in early 2011, a tad over a year ago!

Paul
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »

Over six years ago, I bought a Compaq notebook PC running Windows XP.  A year or so ago, Microsoft said that they were no longer updating XP.  OK, I said to myself, there's been two new operating systems since then, no big deal.

So the other night when I shut off my PC (which I use for digital modes) I was surprised to see that it was applying a Microsoft update as it was shutting down.  I checked on this and found that there's a new virus/trojan out there and Microsoft was applying a patch to my old XP system to protect it. Somebody at Microsoft must have said "What about our customers that are still running XP?We've got to take care of them too."  And they did.

While Microsoft ended adding service pack updates to XP at SP3 level they did not stop security updates which are scheduled to continue until at least April 8 2014.

Yaesu should take a page from Microsoft's book and take care of "old" customers.  I'm running a FT-450D; I wonder when they    replaced the AT version with the 450D....can't be that many years ago.

Not really the same thing here. Maybe they should have called it a 460 instead of a 450D because there is hardware differences between 450AT and 450D it seems.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 11:18:05 AM »

I have already decided to go to Elecraft. I will never utter a good word about Yaesu again. I too was told the software updates were coming, and then this. The Yaesu US guys say, don't shoot arrows at us, it is those guys in Japan making the decisions. One of them recommend that the fix is to go in and mod the radio yourself, so you can use the new 60M freqs.
So, I am now a  buy American guy. I belong to the Yahoo FT-450 list and when this subject came up on the list, the "owner" shut it down after one day. Guess, he is a Yaesu company "guy"

Paul

You will like the Elecraft. I had a Yaesu FT-450, now I have an Elecraft K3, and the receivers are in completely different leagues.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 09:46:02 PM »

Hello again, I need to put my two cents in once more. The firmware/software update that would be required for the FT-450 or FT-450AT is not going to be a discontinued IC or radio component. It is just a mater of Someone writing code changing a 60 meter channel, and adding some software to allow the now legal types of operation. They just in my opinion do not want to do it so they can save a dollar or two, and think that these people will buy there new radios.

If I remember a company must support (by law) a device for at least seven years, this does not mean it needs to update its software, but must make parts to repair the item available for that length of time. This radio I am talking about is a modern release only about two or so years old. I have had mine a little over a year and a half. I bought it new. Like I said this is a very bad move on the part of Yaesu and I feel they will pay for it in the long run.

73s

K2OWK
NN5I

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 12:10:56 AM »

It is a sad affair that Yaesu is doing what it is. They used to be a good company ...
Must have a good company a LONG time ago, if ever.  In 1983 or so I bought a nice new FT-102 with all the accessories (external VFO, pretty speakers, lots of stuff), over $3000 which was a lot for ham gear in 1983.  The handle on the side broke.  Called Yaesu in CA on the phone, new handle not available.  Panel display bulb burned out, not available from Yaesu.  Several other things, no parts available from Yaesu.  I had this radio about a year, during which time it was wholly functional for exactly eight days total.  Sold it for $700 to get rid of it.

When it was working, it worked well (except for horrible key clicks, for which Yaesu described a fix that I installed and which made it almost usable on CW).

I haven't purchased anything that says Yaesu on it since, and I never will.  Horrible customer service.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 01:59:14 AM »

Be carefull abot giving MS more credit then they deserve!
XP is still the Dominant OS on many company workstations and some of these new viruses only need to get on one PC on the network and they can spread havok.

That vunerable Xp machine can quickly become a coduit to taking down even the most moderen MS server sytems.

Grin
I was surprised to see that it was applying a Microsoft update as it was shutting down.  I checked on this and found that there's a new virus/trojan out there and Microsoft was applying a patch to my old XP system to protect it. Somebody at Microsoft must have said "What about our customers that are still running XP?We've got to take care of them too."  And they did

K6MAP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 10:01:32 AM »

All along, I had been asking Yaesu to publish custom firmware models for this radio as a way to address the limited codespace because not everyone uses the radio for everything or always the same thing. I wanted narrow filters in digital modes, something the firmware could support but the radio currently doesn't.

With this recent adjustment in their stance I now beg Yaesu to allow opensource development for the radio. At least allow those who are interested in keeping the radios current build firmware images.

1. Yaesu please release the information it would take to allow third party development of firmware images for this radio.

2. Owners, please forward this request to Yaesu.

3. Developers, please contact Yaesu to tell them that you could support this effort.

Thank you
W7TRP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »

[You will like the Elecraft. I had a Yaesu FT-450, now I have an Elecraft K3, and the receivers are in completely different leagues.

And so is the purchase price!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: