Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu bails on FT450/FT450AT Owners  (Read 36910 times)
KD8RWO

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 12:02:26 AM »

All of the complaints about Yaesu in the past few months lead me to make a Kenwood my first purchase as a new user. So far its a very nice radio and I am happy with the answers the customer support has given to my questions.
Sorry Yaesu, but lackluster customer service did cost you a sale, and I got a feeling the trend will grow.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 06:26:12 PM »

Two days ago, I posted a link to this thread on the FT-450 Yahoo Group, the Group that the "owner" twice ended the discussion on the subject of Yaesu bailing on the FT450.
Guess what, he never allowed my link to this eHam thread to be posted nor a 2nd post where I asked if he was censoring the subject. So don't know about all the Yahoo Yaseu forums, but the FT-450 Group is definitely protecting Mother Yaesu!!

Paul
KC2NYU

That does not surprise me. Sometime I wonder if those groups are run by employees. I was in the Icom 746 group before I owned my Yaesu. If you mention IC-151 or the backlight, it was major taboo.
N8WL

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 08:20:26 AM »

I've owned an FT-847 in the past and loved it. The AF gain control died one day and as it required completely removing the front panel, a very complicated operation, I opted to send it back for service. It turned out to be a well-known defect with that part, but Yaesu didn't stand behind it, even though the rig was out of warranty. They charged me full price plus shipping both ways for a problem that shouldn't have happened. Last year I was considering a new radio. The FT-5000 looked very attractive, but I decided to go with an Elecraft K3. I figured when (not if) I needed service, I'd rather ship an 8 pound radio than a 40 pound one. Once I got the K3 - WOW! What a fantastic transceiver. I've become an Elecraft fan in a big way now. I even ordered their new KX3 QRP rig. You can't go wrong with Elecraft. They know how to treat customers and they make outstanding gear!

Steve N8WL
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 09:26:11 AM »

Steve- good to hear abt your exp with K3. I too have worked past the flex option and am going with the K3.

Paul
kc2nty
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »

Just more fuel to Yaesu fire. Couple of days ago I posted in the FT   7800 ( I own a 7800) Yahoo Group,regarding the Yaesu action on the 450. The one and only reply on the subject was this and as you read it , think back to when we had freedom of speech in this country:

"For anyone who's thinking of replying to this comment with a rant: please consider your words carefully and keep it on topic. I won't let this thread turn in to flame war".

Paul
kc2nyu
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »

A moderator deleting a comment on a User Group may be
tacky, biased, and seem unfair, but it's certainly not
suppression of free speech.

Anyone willing to pay for the bandwidth
is welcome and able to start their own user group,
where negative remarks and anecdotes are
NOT deleted.
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 08:21:47 AM »

The following is an excerpt from a note that was posted on the Yaesu web site yesterday. Look in the  FT 450D files section, last topic down. I left out the verbiage describing the FCC changes on 60M. Hopefully the discussion in this forum and others helped in some small way.

73 Paul KC2NYU

3/30/12
The FCC has authorized a new frequency and additional modes for Amateur operation in the US 60 meter bands. The effective date was 3/5/2012. We expect to announce 60 meter update software for the FT-450 and FT-450AT in the summer of 2012.
NOTE:
Do not install any FT-450D firmware to your FT-450 or FT-450AT. The software is not compatible and will not operate at all.

Thank you for choosing Yaesu radios. If you have any problems or questions, please contact Yaesu, Amateur Tech Support amateurtech@yaesu.com.
Sincerely,
Mikio Maruya, WA6F
Executive Vice President
Engineering & Customer Service
Yaesu USA
Yaesu USA | 6125 Phyllis Drive | Cypress, CA 90630 | 714.827-7600 | FAX: 714.827-8100
KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 11:31:06 AM »

The following is an excerpt from a note that was posted on the Yaesu web site yesterday. Look in the  FT 450D files section, last topic down. I left out the verbiage describing the FCC changes on 60M. Hopefully the discussion in this forum and others helped in some small way.

73 Paul KC2NYU

3/30/12
 SNIP We expect to announce 60 meter update software for the FT-450 and FT-450AT in the summer of 2012. SNIP

Great news! I guess I'll keep my 450AT for a while longer.  Grin

Eric
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 11:03:55 AM »

>We expect to announce 60 meter update software for the FT-450 and FT-450AT in the summer of 2012.

I wonder if they will be doing the same for the FT-817ND/857D series?

KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 11:53:14 AM »

I wonder if they will be doing the same for the FT-817ND/857D series?
I asked the specific question RE 817 of Tim at Yaesu and he responded that he's heard nothing at this time about an update coming down the pike for the 817 anytime soon.

(Doesn't mean there isn't, it just means what it means.)

In terms of priorities I would imagine that tweaking, debugging, documenting, creating instructions & posting them for deployment of a software update has them examining who they feel they need to address first, considering how recent the change is.  Not making excuses for them; jes sayin'.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:48:54 PM by KC9TNH » Logged

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »

I got this very nice email today from Mikio Maruya at Yaesu. so let's keep our fingers crossed, they're trying.

4/2/12

Hi Paul, KC2NYU
We apologize that we were not able to release update software for the FT-450/FT-450AT at the same time as the FT-450D. It is not a simple procedure to change the programming and there are differences in the software between the original FT-450/FT-450AT and the FT-450D programming. The plan is to have the software ready this summer.

Thank you for your patience and comments. We appreciate your support of our products. I hope you will continue to enjoy using your FT-450.

Best regards,
Mikio Maruya
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 02:00:58 PM »

This is a little off topic, but it does deal with Yaesu Service.

An elderly ham I know sent in his FT-840 to Yaesu Service
after "accidentally spilling a cup of coffee on it". I say that in
quotes because I do not know it as fact, just what I
had overheard. Heresay as it were.

Facts: The rig was returned by Yeasu as "unserviceable",
along with a $60 diagnostic fee. I offered to pay the owner
for the diagnostic fee (and a bit extra) to take ownership
of the "unserviceable" rig, with the plan of "parting it out".
I was given the rig as I had done some ham favors for him.
(Drove to HRO several times to pick up items he needed,
delivered them to his home, worked on RFI in his neighbor's TV,
etc.) He was a nice codger who lived near my QTH and I was
happy to help.

I took the rig home, and the only evidence of coffee was
a small spill on the outside of the rig. The interior of the rig
was spic and span clean. There was no audio at all from
the speaker, but PERFECT receive audio from the line level
output from the rear of the rig. (I had hooked that up to my
computer's sound card.)

The rig would transmit a full 100w CW and FM signal,
nothing on SSB.
What was VERY strange was that adjusting the Volume
pot changed the power output. Hmmmm.....WTH?Huh

I related all of this to another ham, as he has far more
service experience than I. A trade was arranged, and he would
do some other rig alignment service for me. He downloaded the service
manual and found that the only thing wrong with that FT-840
was that some of the the various PC boards had been hooked up
incorrectly. (Yes, it WAS a miracle that nothing was blown!)
When the PC board jumper corrections were made, the rig
worked flawlessly, both on receive and transmit, on all bands
and all modes.

Speculation:
It is unclear who exactly changed the PC board jumpers
from their original configuration. I can speculate that
it was the owner, but I never queried him about this.
He was getting on in years and at times his memory failed
him and/or he became confused. From time to time he would
buy an accessory (wattmeter, tuner, artificial ground, etc) but
hook it up or use it incorrectly. Then he would pronounce it
"broken" and take the lid off and fuss about the innards.

He had already purchased a brand new
 replacement rig (The 840 was still being sold new back
then), was very happy with it, and the whole affair could only have
upset him. Perhaps I was wrong, I don't know.
Besides, I no longer owned the rig, what could I do
BUT upset him with the tale?

Why couldn't a Yaesu Certified Technician have spotted
a gross error such as misplaced PC board jumpers?

OR, did they merely look at the Service Order that read
"cup of coffee spilled on rig" and decide it wasn't even worth
opening up for a a quick "look see"?

73, Ken  AD6KA
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:14:32 PM by AD6KA » Logged
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »

Good to remember from time to time that a discussion forum on the internet is not the manufacturer, anymore than ar15.com speaks for Armalite.
Smiley

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
K4SC

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 07:06:43 AM »

It's a slow day at work so I have read the entire thread.  My comments aren't directly related to the FT-450, but more generally at Yaesu and Elecraft (as well as HP and Sony).

The positive first.  I owned an FT-8900 quad band transceiver.  Somehow, after removing it from my car and setting it aside for about a year, I lost the short cable that connects the head to the body.  I contacted Yaesu (California I think) and asked the price  and availability of a replacement, expecting a cost of $10 to $20 and a delay.  Price was ninety-nine cents!  Shipping was the price of a postage stamp.  I ordered two.  Obviously I was pleased, and it arrived two days later.

As to the software update issue, I relate a comparison between Hewlett Packard and Sony.  I purchased an HP computer at Sam's Club in 1999.  It came with Windows 98 installed.  I had purchased a Sony Vaio laptop computer about six months previously and it also had Windows 98 installed.  I was happy until two months later when Microsoft released Windows XP.  At the time Microsoft provided a utility disk that when run on a PC running Win 98 would provide a detailed listing of which drivers would have to be updated in order to properly run XP.  You ran the utility and printed out the list. 

I ran the utility on both computers and came up with about three printed pages of what would and wouldn't have to be addressed.  I then went to Sony's website and found they had addressed all the issues and provided detailed source and installation procedures to make the upgrade to XP.  Great I thought.  Then I went to Hewlett Packard's website expecting similar results.  WRONG!  They addressed the issue by stating they would not be supporting the upgrade and that if I wished to run XP, I should buy a new HP PC.  Mine was only two months old!  I have never purchased another personal  item from HP since.  Now that may not seem like a big deal, but it is because I worked in the Metrology field at the time in a nuclear power plant.  We used a lot of test equipment which I had a hand in purchasing.  I can tell you that except where the only choice was HP for an item of measuring and test equipment, I always specified Fluke or another vendor from that point forward.  I would estimate HP lost close to a million dollars in sales while I was there and I wasn't bashfull about telling my successor why I didn't specify HP unless it was the only source.

My third observation has to do with Elecraft.  I was in the market for an HF transceiver and listened to several at Ham Radio Outlet; I won’t say where for reasons that will be obvious shortly.  The FT-950 was in my price range and I spent the most time playing with it, but I was not really impressed with the band/receiver noise.  I asked the salesman about it and he recommended I buy a K3, which of course HRO doesn’t sell.  I decided that was probably a good idea and did.  Yes it was a bit more expensive than the FT-950, but not out of the ball park.  Best decision I’ve ever made on a radio.  I built the basic version and added features as I had the funds.  I love the K3 and haven’t looked back; this was three years ago.  I receive notice of software updates on a regular basis and upload them into the K3 with ease in a matter of minutes.  Once I learned how to use the RF gain control properly, it is the quietest receiver, that actually receives, I have ever owned.  Customer service is phenomenal, and you can usually talk to one of the owners when you call.   I guess it really comes down to Yaesu can live without the Amateur Radio market, but Elecraft only serves hams and must address our needs in order to survive.
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2012, 09:21:06 AM »

Charles- great note and insight, thanks for sharing with group. You added another vote for me for the K3.
73 Paul
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: