Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu bails on FT450/FT450AT Owners  (Read 41937 times)
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2013, 04:09:32 PM »

With all that tech, does my Flex pick up less atmospheric QRN on 160 (or even 10 with a decent antenna)?  I HOPE NOT.

Are you suggesting that given an identical broadband atmospheric noise sample, all receivers will render it into AF identically?  This is in fact the exact opposite of my experience.  Listener comfort is a big feature for a radio, and how the receiver deals with noise is perhaps the biggest contributing factor toward a comfortable listening experience.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2013, 04:26:33 PM »

Who in their right mind would expect lifelong service for any product, no matter what the price?

I don't think people object to paying for service for an older product.  Some companies like Ten-Tec make a decent portion of their profits on repairs, and the goodwill it garners leads to people becoming repeat customers.

It becomes offensive when a company decides to just drop an old product, including service for it.  Many people become quite attached to their radios, and it is likely that a replacement will not quite do everything the old radio did.

What's amusing to me is that the big Japanese manufacturers seem to have no issue both dropping support AND charging about the same money for comparable American rigs from companies that will not abandon you.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2013, 03:31:19 AM »

We used a lot of test equipment which I had a hand in purchasing.  I can tell you that except where the only choice was HP for an item of measuring and test equipment, I always specified Fluke or another vendor from that point forward.  I would estimate HP lost close to a million dollars in sales while I was there

When did HP spin off their Test Equipment division to Agilent?  Seems to me it was right around that time.  Hewlett-Packard, the computer purveyor, did not even vaguely resemble Hewlett-Packard, the test equipment manufacturer.  The test equipment company's business practices, employee welfare and general corporate practices were always completely beyond reproach.  In my opinion, its very sad that the test equipment division did not retain the corporate name.  I can't help but think that Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard wore some deep grooves turning over in their graves! The computer company?  Well, in my opinion, that's another (very sad) story.

I would estimate HP lost close to a million dollars in sales while I was there

Let's see!  That would be about a third the cost of a SINGLE high end Cesium clock of the type that one or two are carried in EACH GPS satelite.

Tom
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 03:38:32 AM by WB6DGN » Logged
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2013, 01:21:13 PM »

We used a lot of test equipment which I had a hand in purchasing.  I can tell you that except where the only choice was HP for an item of measuring and test equipment, I always specified Fluke or another vendor from that point forward.  I would estimate HP lost close to a million dollars in sales while I was there

When did HP spin off their Test Equipment division to Agilent?  Seems to me it was right around that time.  Hewlett-Packard, the computer purveyor, did not even vaguely resemble Hewlett-Packard, the test equipment manufacturer.  The test equipment company's business practices, employee welfare and general corporate practices were always completely beyond reproach.  In my opinion, its very sad that the test equipment division did not retain the corporate name.  I can't help but think that Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard wore some deep grooves turning over in their graves! The computer company?  Well, in my opinion, that's another (very sad) story.

I would estimate HP lost close to a million dollars in sales while I was there

Let's see!  That would be about a third the cost of a SINGLE high end Cesium clock of the type that one or two are carried in EACH GPS satelite.

Tom

I sold Test and Measurement Equipment for HP for a number of years and left just before the split. The HP way died when John Young stepped down and Lew Platt stepped in as president. When I left the computer business was larger than the T&M business and there was a split in the management because the computer business was low mix with less profit per unit and the T&M business high mix with higher profits. This was because of the option mix available on T&M equipment. The optioning did not lend itself to the mass production you can do with computers. In any case there were two business models and they clashed, so something had to give. For me I saw the writing on the wall and went to Tektronix. Yes it was fortunate for me they didn't keep the HP name when I had left to a competitor. I think the HP way died at Agilent. HP during the 1980's was a great place to work.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2013, 01:47:18 PM »

All of these issues are explained right on the front of all of their rigs. YAESU = Yet Another Excuse Simply Useless {:>)   Grin   Smiley   Wink

"ICOM RULES,Everything Else Wants Too Be An ICOM"

Clayton
W4KVW
KE5TJT

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2014, 05:43:10 AM »

I have a Vertex Standard aviation handie talkie and a FT7800. Both have worked flawlessly and the HT is still on the original battery, even after 10 years. I've used it inside an airplane to talk to another plane 60 miles away. I have no complaints with this company.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: