Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu bails on FT450/FT450AT Owners  (Read 36099 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 11:34:49 AM »

It is just a mater of Someone writing code changing a 60 meter channel, and adding some software to allow the now legal types of operation. They just in my opinion do not want to do it so they can save a dollar or two, and think that these people will buy there new radios.

It is also possible that rig will not operate in spec's in 60m band too. If so they would not support such a mod officially.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 10:09:14 PM »

Quick note. The Yaesu FT-450 operates on the 60 meter band in speck on the channels available. The only change is the removal of the old 60 meter channel and the frequency setting of the new authorised channel that needs to be done. This is a fully FCC type accepted radio that operates from 160 thru 6 meters. It could be modded for MARS operation, but then the operator would have to be very careful not to operate outside the band, as all frequency's would be open to transmitt.

73s

K2OWK
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 05:45:24 AM »

Most rigs support MARS mods but again operating in a MARS capacity it might be acceptable to have lower limits for signal cleanness and fall under different rules. I have little doubt that there is a reason they do not support it on old 450 and it is not to just to get you to buy a new one.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:27:35 AM by W8JX » Logged

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 08:49:14 AM »

Get used to the term EOL "End of Life". It is becoming a popular term in technology. My company has EOL'd numerous pieces of equipment, and it was an apparent attempt to force the customer to buy new equipment. The customers did not bite. They held onto their "obsolete" equipment til it broke. They are now going elsewhere for their replacement product. In the last 2 years, this policy has eliminated or eradicated over 50% of my installed equipment base, and there are 2 more EOLs this year, yet to come. Needless to say, my work has all but disappeared as a result of this. It is only a matter of time before my company figures out that I am not needed anymore, and I will be gone. New sales have been abysmal. Oh yeah, I have been there 17 years.

So, I have been looking since last June with no luck whatsoever.

This is the way tech corporations works nowadays. They want you to buy new every few years. Get used to it. I do not like it, but as you can see, there is not a damn thing I can do about it.
HAMFESTS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 09:08:27 PM »

Yanno, it's almost criminal how they run companies nowadays.

Like N4NYY said, his company wants customers to buy new.

What ever happened to sell as much as you can for a good price, build up a large customer base, and make money on repairs? Even if it's just to swap out a bad board.

I don't own an Elecraft, but they do it smart. If a board has a major upgrade, you just swap out the old board with the new. I suppose it wouldn't matter if a chip became obsolete for them. They'd have to redesign the board but as long as the new board with the new chips supplied the same voltages and signals at the same pins you'd never know a different chip or circuit was being used! Much cheaper than buying a new radio.

Sorry N4NYY about hearing that bad news, good luck with your job search. Maybe you can make them see the light before the bosses wonder why the company folded.

K7SON

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »

I have almost exclusively relied on Yaesu rigs for my shack and mobile. I have thankfully never had to contact them for any support other than to D/L manuals from the website. I work in the Medical Electronics field and we have to support equipment until EOL for obvious reasons. Typically this is 10 years, but some equipment we did not EOL until 20 years in an effort to take care of our customers. I am presently examining my options for an replacement HF Base rig for the shack, and this bit of info will have a definite impact on my decision as I can't fathom abandoning my customers after only a couple of years of service, especially software upgrades. 73
KA1VF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 10:49:30 AM »

Wow! As a loyal Yaesu owner/customer since 1987, I'm definitely feeling like an orphan.
Like alot of other Yaesu FT-450/FT-450AT owners, I've been waiting for new firmware!!!
Maybe all of us loyal Yaesu customers should ban together and start an "Occupy Yaesu"?

KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 12:08:40 PM »

I am certainly for that and any other way we can spread the word on this and not let it go away. I would guess Yaesu might have expected an initial small up-roar and then expected it would go away and no one  would care. I say, lets keep it alive until they fix the problem. any other Forums we can spread the word in??

73 Paul
KC2NYU
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 02:19:39 PM »

This is what has already happened with many industries - namely the PC and O/S industries.   Each new O/S seems to demand more and more resources than the previous...thus requiring more processing power...thus requiring more memory....thus requiring etc....ultimately resorting in a new PC requirement.   In order to continue making money, these suppliers HAVE to sell you something new...just like Coca Cola or Frito Lay does everytime you want chips and a Coke.   Most electronics are consumables with assured obsolescence.   

Now that ham gear (and everything else) is computerized, I'm guessing it's subject to the same planned lifecycles by the manufacturers.

Would you be willing to pay for the new firmware upgrades?
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 02:53:50 PM »

Most industries do not obsolete there equipment of refuse to support it when it is one year old or less. I can understand a piece of electronic equipment becoming obsolete after many years, but obsoleting a piece of equipment after just a few months after the introduction of a new model. This is highly unethical and down right poor business. I bought my FT-450AT about a year ago. I am not rich and had to save quite a while to get it. While it still works great and is a great transceiver. I will never purchase a piece of Yaesu equipment again. I consider a piece of equipment with no support a short time after sale, a rip off and a piece of obsolete junk.

No more Yaesu for me.

73s

K2OWK 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »

This is what has already happened with many industries - namely the PC and O/S industries.   Each new O/S seems to demand more and more resources than the previous...thus requiring more processing power...thus requiring more memory....thus requiring etc....ultimately resorting in a new PC requirement.   In order to continue making money, these suppliers HAVE to sell you something new...just like Coca Cola or Frito Lay does everytime you want chips and a Coke.   Most electronics are consumables with assured obsolescence.   

Well we could all go back to 16 bit computers with MS DOS and CGA graphics. PC's are doing things not possible a few years ago and will do even more in a few years. In last few years 64 bit has gone main stream smashing 32 bit memory barriers and opening new doors not possible in 32 bit world. You can mover forward with it and stay in past. Choice is yours.

K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 05:29:55 PM »

obsoleting a piece of equipment after just a few months after the introduction of a new model. This is highly unethical and down right poor business.

I totally agree.   My point was a general one and the trend of consumer electronics marketing/support as disposable items.  I hope you can get satisfaction out of your situation.

K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 05:34:43 PM »

Well we could all go back to 16 bit computers with MS DOS and CGA graphics. PC's are doing things not possible a few years ago and will do even more in a few years. In last few years 64 bit has gone main stream smashing 32 bit memory barriers and opening new doors not possible in 32 bit world. You can mover forward with it and stay in past. Choice is yours.

I think we had this discussion in another thread.   I am in the PC industry at an OEM level so I'm very familiar with this, and agree.    This is why many PC and big iron customers lease their gear.   However, my point is that we can expect consumer electronics, to include amateur radio equipment, to trace similar lifecycles between transitions.
KB9TMP

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 07:43:21 PM »

They have also bailed on the FT-817ND owners. There is no new 60 meter update for them either. I found a program called CHIRP at http://chirp.danplanet.com/  that will reprogram them in the FT-8*7 series of radios. It also covers programming on several other radios from different manufacturers. The program is cross platform and will run on Windows, Mac, and Linux.  I don't know if Dan is going to cover the FT-450 but you might contact him and ask. Oh did I mention its FREE?!?!

As for Yaesu taking care of it's customers I had a 1 1/2 y/o FT-8100 2m/70cm that had a well known defect in the grounding which caused it to stop transmitting on the 2m side. I talked to Yaesu tech and they blamed my antenna and my power supply instead of the radio that the KNEW had a problem. I swore then that I would never buy Yaesu again but the low price keeps sucking me in. I have blown the finals on 2 FT-60 handhelds and 1 FT-2800. Now I have the 18 month old FT-817 that Yaesu won't support and is still selling new ones that they won't support on the 60 meter issue. I'm with everyone else. I'm going Ten Tec or Kenwood for the next radio. (I would go Elecraft but my money tree hasn't been blooming the last 4 years.)
73 KB9TMP
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 05:41:51 AM »

Two days ago, I posted a link to this thread on the FT-450 Yahoo Group, the Group that the "owner" twice ended the discussion on the subject of Yaesu bailing on the FT450.
Guess what, he never allowed my link to this eHam thread to be posted nor a 2nd post where I asked if he was censoring the subject. So don't know about all the Yahoo Yaseu forums, but the FT-450 Group is definitely protecting Mother Yaesu!!

Paul
KC2NYU
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: