Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D-Star radios  (Read 2005 times)
N7GCO

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2012, 05:55:43 PM »

I am thinking about getting my first D-Star radio. Not sure which Icom would be the best to get first. Would I be better with a handheld or mobile? Which would people recommend? Which would be easiest to program?
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 06:19:11 PM »

I run an ID-880 in my daily vehicle.  I found the cloning cable to be a necessity to efficiently program and setup the vast memory in this radio.  The D-Star mode is interesting.  The audio is cleaner than FM, but there's no "fringe" or warning that you're nearing the end of your string.  You're just gone.  I have my control head mounted to the dash using a suction cup camera mount.  The supplied mounting plate comes with a threaded hole that is compatible with a camera tripod mount.  The mounts can be found on eBay for a few dollars plus a couple more for shipping.  I've owned it for five months, and like it a lot.  Positively get the cloning cable, and download the memory management software from the Icom site. You can randomly program the 1000 memories if you wish, then organize them into logical "banks" for scanning and selecting.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:32:36 PM by K3GM » Logged
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 08:13:26 PM »

When my old 2m FM rig died in the shack I decided to see what this D-Star is all about so I picked up a clean older ID-800h for around $300. I definitely reccomend the cable/programming software for these things as it is far easier configure everything. The audio definitely sounds different. It sounds a little more "digital cell phone-ish" to me. The rig seems pretty solid, I do like it.

Where do you plan on using your rig? Is it going to be used portably or is it a dedicated shack or mobile rig? Do you have D-star repeaters in your area or will you be using one of those DVAP connected to your computers?

I'm personally more partial to a mobile rig myself. I don't use HT's all that much except mostly for satellite work or the occasional club function (auction, field day, etc).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: