Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with WAS award  (Read 3543 times)
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »

If you can work psk31, you have what you need to run JT65. Its ability to decode weak signals is beyond any other digi mode I've used. With JT65 I have easily worked all surrounding states on 10 and 15 meters and that's hard to do on ssb and even cw.
73, N4KZ
K3BAK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 04:16:12 PM »

Tuner question. Does the LDG tuners reduce the power automatically when it switches to AM or do I have to manually set it? That may be part of my rf tuning issue on 40.
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 07:45:44 AM »

"Tuner question. Does the LDG tuners reduce the power automatically when it switches to AM or do I have to manually set it? That may be part of my rf tuning issue on 40"

Simplest form:

Radio--->SWR/Watt meter---> Tuner---> dummy load / antenna

You have average power, cw or dead carrier, AM carrier, modulated AM Double SideBand ,SSB power levels.

The ALC circuit in your rig cuts back power when it encounters preset high SWR values ( An improper load presented to the radio.)
A 100 % modulated AM carrier gets 50% of power and each side band about 25%. (near perfect model)
Now the caveat is what kind of meter are you looking at average or peak reading. Tuners are not 100 % efficient a bit of loss. They try to make a conjugate match to the load (antenna). This means adding inductance or capacitance trying to make a 50 ohm resistive load. Added circuit elements consume power. Readings are down a bit.

Odds are its your ALC in the radio reducing power.

K3BAK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 07:59:09 PM »

Thanks all for the solid advice as always.  Rearranged my antenna today, replaced the coax with 50 foot of rg8x, and added several dx engineering ferite cores to the coax. My antenna now tunes on 12,15 and 17 which all were iffy at best before. Uneasy able to use 40 meters without setting the co alarm off, and knocked out 4 of my remaining 9 states for was! Thanks again!
AJ4CU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 07:42:13 PM »

I would be happy to help you with NC, I can work all bands/modes, just shoot me an email at, aj4cu@arrl.net, we can go from there.

73 ES GL DE AJ4CU

Hari
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 11:13:08 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I may have to try 40 meters qrp when my 817 gets here. I have an attic mounted g5rv jr and when I tune it or transmit it makes the smoke detector and or co detector very unhappy. Plus being in a townhouse I don't want to set the neighbors off either late at night  Grin
Be careful.  Many decades ago I lived in a townhouse and when I keyed my HW100 the smoke alarm in my unit (or I thought just in my unit) would act like a sidetone.  So removing the battery I started operating again until suddenly someone pounded on my door getting everyone out of the building because it was "on fire".  That was when I discovered the joys of QRP. ;-)

72, 73, JP, K8AG
K3BAK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 11:47:21 AM »

Oops! Luckily my smoke detectors are hard wired, its only the co detector that acts up. Ive read some are more sensitive than others, so i may swap it out for another.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: