Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am causing my neighbor's TV and Blue Ray player to cycle on and off  (Read 24890 times)
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 09:20:23 AM »

If you are renting an apartment, then consider leasing a single-family house on a big lot somewhere. At least that would get you somewhat away from neighbors, compared with apartment living, and give you some RF "breathing" room. I also lived in a two story apartmenj when first licensed in 1970, and had to play qrp for the same reason. The apartment manager was also a ham, and he let me put a dipole on the roof, but TVI complaints proved even too much for my 20 watt Heath DX-20 transmitter, so qrp was my way out. But I soon bought a small house with a large lot and got out of that elbow-to-elbow neighbor routine. Good luck to you.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »

I had a TV that intermittently changed channels whenever I keyed up on 2M. It turned out that the RF was getting into the remote control. If the remote was left setting on the coffee table, pointing towards the TV then the problem occured. If the remote was left pointing away from the TV then no problem. The solution was simple - teach the kids to point the remote away from the TV when they done making a change.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 08:31:35 AM »

I  have found that 100 watts is about the break point with a simple antenna in the clear. Below that level problems seem to diminish.   It is too bad so much consumer electronics sold today  is   lacking in protection from rf, even as more and more wireless toys are sold.  The thousands of little diode junctions inside even the simple gadgets don't care if the rf they "detect" is inside a ham band where it belongs or not. 
Try working your way down from 100 watts.  There should be a level at which the problem stops.  As others have said, RITTY and the newer digital modes mantain a constant output which is less likely to hack up audio gear at low levels.  Lots of DX can be worked on PSK and similar modes. 
K7RNV

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 06:17:23 PM »

First thing get rid of the low pass filter, and make a common mode choke..  goggle it and that should help...
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 06:17:34 AM »

Consumer electronics do meet RFI immunity standards. If the device has a CE mark it is designed and tested to radiated immunity standards.

http://www.ce-mag.com/99ARG/EMCStandards61.html

The European Union (EU) standards are more complete for immunity than FCC standards and much of the electronics we buy in the US is designed and certified for sales into the EU. But the standard is (if I remember correctly) 3 V/m while the situation in this thread is roughly 10 V/m.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:15:32 AM by WX7G » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 08:51:45 AM »

Consumer electronics do meet RFI immunity standards. If the device has a CE mark it is designed and tested to radiated immunity standards.

Immunity is a poor choice of words here as it suggests it will never be effected. (because it will be if field is strong enough)  I think "tolerant" or "tolerance" is a better choice here.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 12:02:21 PM »

Commercial testing uses the word "immunity" while military testing uses "susceptibility."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:17:42 PM by WX7G » Logged
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2012, 11:16:05 AM »

I had one of my neighbors come banging on my door one night and he started yelling at me saying I was causing interference in his TV and on his phone.  After getting him to calm down I went to his house and looked at his TV set up.  He had a rats nest of wires running all over the place, to his sound system, his VCR/DVD combo player.  After looking at the mess I asked him for the manuals for the equipment and opened it up to the page with the part 15 notice.  I told him to read it.  He read it and then says "so this is my problem?" and I responded very nicely and politely "yes" but I would help him fix his problem.  I stood there for a moment thinking about the way he approached me the night I moved into the house (another story involving him saying he would cut/shoot coax) and how he came over banging and yelling on this night.  After a very long pregnant pause, i told him yes but he has to pay for any and all parts such as cores and such.  He did not like that much at all, but I told what and where to buy cores and a let him borrow a book on RFI. After all this, he does not do a damned thing except complain and I continue operate at 100 watts. I have a 50 foot tower in my back yard and live on a postage stamp size lot, but he is the only neighbor who has ever complained.  I had no RFI in my house, we were both on cable and I had a TV in the shack near my rigs and brought him over and showed him that I had no interference. To this day he still complains (him and only him) Oh well !!! The Part 15 notice can be your friend.
Good luck with the neighbor and the landlord.
73 de Rick wn2c
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2012, 01:22:17 PM »

Actually Part 15 is not much of a friend to brag about. A happy neighbor is far better. They do not understand RFI reasons and cures and you need to keep them happy rather than thumb nose with a rule book.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N9YNG

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »

It does seem odd that both the TV and the Blue Ray player shut off. Might it be just one of them?

And there is always the option of buying your neighbor a new TV or Blue Ray player that is immune (enough) to your RF. The ferrites will cost you $100. How much is a Blue Ray player?

Maybe the HDMI cable b/n the TV and BluRay is picking up the RF?
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 03:15:46 AM »

A happy neighbor is far better.
Unfortunately, you can't make everyone happy in life, especially those who are only made happy by the unhappiness of others and make no effort themselves.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2012, 04:30:08 PM »

Try the QRP route. The digital modes are just as much fun at QRP .
I'm surprised that a balanced (an UNbalanced antenna is an OCF or Vertical) antenna as the HEX Beam would cause RFI, but 15 feet is really close. Is your transceiver fairly new???, like 1990's??
50 feet is usually the minimum I have always tried to maintain.
More Ques.
Is this an older apartment complex with old style AC receptacles?? The safety ground (three prong plug) would let the, hopeful, metal cabinet of the affected devices get your RF out of the equipment.
It really gets sticky to get involved with adding toroids on all cables going in and out of someone's equipment.

Fred
WU3U

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2012, 10:45:37 PM »

I have to say that this thread really disgusted me.

SO many of you guys jumped all over N4EES.

He had permission to put up the antenna.

It's on an apartment building.  So it means that someone's apartment is going to be below it.

At the power and frequencies in question, with maybe some consideration having to be afforded to 10 meters - I suspect strongly that N4EES was in compliance regarding RF exposure rules.

Then several posters seem to make the dubious claim that nothing can be done about fundamental overload when the antenna is 15 feet from an offended receiver.

This is false.  False.   I have been to contest super stations whereby we ran 1500 watts and watched TV at the same time.  The antenna was sometimes no more than 50 feet away.

Ferrite cores.  Bypass caps....try any and all methods.  You can fix it.

Yes I know...some posters mentioned all of that...but the overall feeling you gave this guy was that he was doing something wrong because he is not operating in an enviroment whereby he can mount the antenna 100 feet from any living thing.

And he comes back to the thread and reports he's taking it all down.  Nice Going Guys,,sheesh.
S

N

ND6P

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 10:02:24 PM »

I doubt if the remote controls are the problem.  Remove the batteries in them to test. 

I would start by  getting one of these toroids and a 6 foot cable TV patch cable.  Then I would wind about 8-10 turns of the patch cable on the toroid and take this over to the neighbor and install it on  his TV's RF input. You will need a female to female connector as well, to reconnect the TV feedline to the toroid filter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toroid-Core-FT240-43-Ferrite-/110960942545?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d5c99dd1

Also, try reducing your output power to 50 watts.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2012, 07:17:47 AM »

There are a lot of good suggestions here for your current set up. Reducing power would be first. It costs nothing. The RF chokes on the TV and blue ray player lines would be next (get them cheap by hunting and scrounging). Relocating the antenna, if possible, would be a last resort Smiley

However, I think the best suggestion came from K5LXP. A vertical antenna may be the answer. Especially if it has a ground plane underneath. That would greatly change the radiation pattern downstairs and possibly shield your neighbor's equipment from RF.  Wink

All of this is experimenting, which is the fun of ham radio. A problem is a puzzle to be solved. The last thing you want to do do is give up because the answer(s) may be very simple and not interfere with your hobby much at all. Undecided

By the way, since your neighbor's problem is that transmitting is turning his TV and player off, why not run higher power when he is not watching TV like late at night, early morning, when he is at work or gone for the weekend. A little surveillance doesn't cost anything either.  Cool  

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:47:39 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: