Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRD and Packet  (Read 7192 times)
W9MAS

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »

Is it possible to use HRD with sound-card packet, using the AGW packet engine?
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »

Michael,

AGWPE is only the Locomotive Engine and to operate packet you will need a program like AGWTerm for Packet itself. Is this going to be for VHF/UHF or HF Packet? If it is for VHF/UHF why would you need HRD?
HRD in itself is only the CAT interface for controlling the Freq and Volume control and soforth and that's only if the Radio supports CAT. More info on what you want to do and what you want to do it with.

73 de Steve KB6HOH
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 09:42:44 AM »

He may be talking about DM780 (digital mode program) which is part of the HRD 'umbrella' of programs.
W9MAS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 07:15:09 PM »

Yes, that's correct. I meant to say DM780. From what I read, the fellow that wrote DM780 has no interest in including packet mode.

Primarily I'm interested in VHF/UHF packet, would like to try and work the ISS also. I'm also interested in getting back on HF (old Kenwood TS-830S) RTTY/PSK31 which I want to try out with DM780.

Recently dug out my ham gear after being in storage for some years. I fiddled around with packet some 20 years ago when it was still a new thing. So, I'm a little rusty.

I have a purchased copy of MixW which is simple to setup and from what I recall, worked pretty good with packet and other modes.

I realize there are dozens of different options/setups available. I also have an old AEA PK-88 TNC  (from 1986!). It will do 1200 and 300 (HF) just like the new ones. Just for grins I may hook it up, see if it still works.

Don't have any CAT equipment. I bought an Alinco DR-635 (I'm on a budget!) that has a slot for an optional internal TNC which would be neat to have, but not for the price. I think they want about 200 bucks for it.

The HRD suite of programs are some of the best I have seen. The concept is great, the programs are well written and have a very professional look.

I have seen some of the other programs on the AGW website. AGWTerm looks interesting also.

So, anyhow, just out of curiosity was wondering if DM780 could interface with the AGW engine.

Thanks for the reply,
Mike

KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 02:25:37 AM »

Micahel,

You are correct about NO Packet in HRD. I also believe the new owners of HRD will also elect not to add it.

You would be better off using the AEA PK-88 for VHF Packet. There are few Windows based programs to use with the TNC. So unless you want to lay out some cash for some of those fancy programs I have a few suggestions. One would be to use a Phone Modem program like Procomm. It will even let you create some Macros/Meta Keys for Connection/Disconnections as well as other options.

There is a Windows based program that has gone the Freeware route and that's called XPware at: http://www.glaswerks.com/xpware
I have use it on both Windows 98se, 2000, XPpro and Windows 7.

Another is NuPacket at: http://www.hotamateurprograms.com/downloads.htm Simple Windows Packet Controller, Version 1.30, WindowsXP, Windows Vista Compatible, and Windows 7 Compatible.

I also have the Software plus others in the FILES section on my Yahoo User Group at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/packet-radio

If you have a PC with a Serial Port supporting Standard Base & Interrupt settings and AEA PCPakratt 1 & II program you might be able to use them.

Sorry to hear you bought MixW. Even though it supports Packet it is a little cumbersome to use it on that mode. The program lacks a lot features as compared to what's out there, like HRD/DM780, MultiPSK and FLdigi which are all MultiMode programs and are free. MultiPSK does supports Packet ops.

I am not sure why you would want to Interface AGWPE with DM780.

Regarding the TS-830 it would be OK to start off with BUT a few things you should be aware of.
1. The Receiver needs to be ROCK steady or you could find yourself chasing your Tail all over the Waterfall.

2. There are NO connections on the rear of the Radio to plug in a Sound Card Interface into. DataPorts which are found on the current Radios and also going back as far as the TS-440s in the Kenwood series. This makes it easier to Interface to and also they usually have a RX Audio line that has a Fixed level to it and is not affected by the Volume control and also has both TX Audio, PTT line and Ground. That would be the ideal setup.

3. Connection will have to be made the Mic Jack and Receive Audio either picked up from the Headphone or Rear Ext Speaker Jack. One of the reason to avoid the Mic Jack is TX Audio Levels and the over driving of the ALC which can lead to splattering of your Signal on the Waterfall.

4. Are you planning on a Homebrew Sound Card Interface or a Commercial one. If you plan on using the TS-830 then I would get a Rigblaster that supports a Mic Jack for leaving the Mic connect to the Radio.
They have several different models. If you think you will upgrade the Radio sooner or later then maybe look at the Tigertronics Signalink USB Interface.

73 for now de Steve KB6HOH
                                             kb6hoh(AT)comcast(DOT)net
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 02:27:38 AM by KB6HOH » Logged
W9MAS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 12:10:52 AM »

Hi Steve

Thanks for the info. I appreciate very much.

My old PK-88 seems to work just fine! I have several terminal programs that all work fine with it.

So for VHF packet I'll be using the '88 for now. There isn't any particular reason for the question of using AGWPE with DM780, other than just being curious.

My first goal for the VHF setup is to work the ISS digipeater. I don't fully understand the APRS system (in particular, what generates my APRS data?). And can I connect to the ISS digi without APRS data?

I purchased a MFJ-1275 sound card interface a few years ago that I'll be using for HF. I don't anticipate any problems using it with HRD/DM780 or any of the other programs. I also have FLDIGI installed which I like very much. I just need to determine what's convienient to drive the PTT. And yes, I am aware of the ALC issues with using the MIC input on the TS-830S.

Anyhow, mabye you or someone on the forum can answer my questions.

Thanks,
Mike

KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 03:15:40 AM »

Hi Mike,

Well sounds like you got things under control BUT drop me a line if you have any questions.

73 de Steve KB6HOH
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 09:36:37 AM »

Mike,

Well talk about being tired. I really didn't answer you question(s). I got to stop these late night sessions. Hi!

Well I am not a APRS kind of dude BUT I believe just for receiving all you need is the Radio, TNC and Software.
Checkout the TAPR link at: http://www.tapr.org/aprs_information.html
Also there are YouTube Videos as well.
Also as to be able to work the ISS I believe the TNC has to be GPS capable and a GPS unit attached to it.
If anyone has corrections please step in and correct me!

As far as the MFJ sound Card Interface is concerned it probably should work OK, though I am not a Fan of MFJ.
I believe there are better units out there and if you plan on upgrading the Radio at a later time I would think think a better Sound Card Interface would be in order but for now make do with what you got.

Also regarding the AEA PK-88 it really is a VHF/UHF Packet TNC. It was not meant to do 300bd on HF due to the internal filtering if I remember correctly without the HF Modem to go with it.

73 de steve KB6HOH

W9MAS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 12:31:06 AM »

Hello All from an APRS Newcomer

I posted this same message in the APRS forum -

Thanks for the help.

Success!

Had my first digipeat with the ISS and made it onto the map!   

Equipment:

ISS @ 80 deg. elevation pass
Alinco DR-635T
Home brew 3 Ele Yagi based on the "Tape Measure Beam" by WB2HOL
HRD SatTrack
UISS V. 5.3 by ON6MU
AGWPE Pro V. 1123.2011 (Sound Card Mode)
MFJ-1275 Sound Card Interface
Coffee
Patience
Hammer in standby mode (in case all else failed)

My first attempts were about two weeks ago. I knew absolutley nothing about APRS, other than what the maps look like. The homebrew antenna cost nothing - made from scrap PVC and some household wire!

Thanks,
Mike, W9MAS / FCC GROL / CET
NQ4A

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 05:02:37 PM »

Let me add this to the discussion.....Run MiniDelux in place of HRD Overlord program and you can run the
DM780, the main HRD Log, Waterfall and DX Cluster, all with out all that computer hungry overhead! 
It really works well for me and the computer runs so much better!
Jon - NQ4A - Richmond, VA
nq4a@arrl.net
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 08:54:36 PM »

Micahel,

You are correct about NO Packet in HRD. I also believe the new owners of HRD will also elect not to add it.
                                             73 for now de Steve KB6HOH

I didnt see you in the meetings.... Wink next time be on time LOL

Yes we are going to add packet to Digital Master in a 6.x release.

Rick - W4PC
KA7KDX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 09:56:33 PM »

I did the same a couple weeks ago and I'm able to make aprs connections pretty consistent now. I'm using a TS-B2000. Radio Shack Discone, Signalink USB, Packet Engine Pro, and UISS. As long as the pass is below about 50 degrees it comes in pretty strong, above that, as us pilots say, its in the cone of confusion.

I've also been trying to figure out HF packet, but not having much luck there.

Hello All from an APRS Newcomer

I posted this same message in the APRS forum -

Thanks for the help.

Success!

Had my first digipeat with the ISS and made it onto the map!   

Equipment:

ISS @ 80 deg. elevation pass
Alinco DR-635T
Home brew 3 Ele Yagi based on the "Tape Measure Beam" by WB2HOL
HRD SatTrack
UISS V. 5.3 by ON6MU
AGWPE Pro V. 1123.2011 (Sound Card Mode)
MFJ-1275 Sound Card Interface
Coffee
Patience
Hammer in standby mode (in case all else failed)

My first attempts were about two weeks ago. I knew absolutley nothing about APRS, other than what the maps look like. The homebrew antenna cost nothing - made from scrap PVC and some household wire!

Thanks,
Mike, W9MAS / FCC GROL / CET

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: