Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Desk  (Read 4369 times)
KB3FFH

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2012, 04:43:11 PM »

I am looking for a ham desk that had a sliding top on it. I can't remember who sold it.Any help?
N3WAK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:03:43 PM »

I know what you mean, but I can't remember the name, either.  I wanted to get one several years ago but the guy never responded to my emails.  I decided that he was, perhaps, out of business.  I ended up buying an expandable kitchen table from Ikea that's great.  Very sturdy.  I built a shelf for the back and have my radios stacked 2-3 high.  Good luck finding a desk. 

73, Tony
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 04:29:33 PM »

Sadly, I believe that Fletcher lost his shirt making the HamDesk - I know that he personally delivered mine to San Francisco rather than risk damage in shipping.  Sadly, that's no way to make a living at the reasonable prices he was charging.  Pity that he seems to have been a victim of his own success!

It's a great desk, and I miss not having two of them every time I work on my station in CO where I don't have one.  I have the big one and it's just great for everything I had on my station including the computer.

The only thing that would be better would be if you could walk behind the desk and just work with it from the rear. 

FWIW, it would not be impossible to build an overshelf as Fletcher did - he used some sort of roller slide and a metal chair foot that rode on top of a teflon slider surface.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 03:57:18 AM »

Sadly, that product has seemed to disappear from availability.  Just a suggestion--go to a surplus house and get a used business grade desk.  The one I got has five drawers--one good for file folders, which is where I put all manuals and paperwork for the station.  The others are good for equipment and tools for the station--and for other purposes.  My desk has turned into a more or less complete workcenter where I play radio and repair just about anything else that can fit on the desk!
N4UJW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:29:03 AM »

Don't know if this will help, but do a search on Google using    roll top desks   you will gets loads of results.
Don N4UJW
KG6IRW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 05:51:18 PM »

I picked up an Omnirax workstation off Craigslist for about $40 a couple of years ago.  These are marketed to the home recording musician crowd.  This one had been left in an apartment after a move out.  I have since seen other similar from folks getting out of that hobby.

Very strong, usually with a raised shelf and standard rack mount facilities.  Google Omnirax compact for some examples. 

Cheers,

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: