Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homebrew vertical  (Read 745 times)
N0UJT

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »

I'm considering building a "hidden" vertical antenna, using a store-bought "umbrella" clothesline (presumably constructed out of aluminum supports with some sort of insulated wire).  My thought is to connect the center of the coax to the clothesline at the base, then ground the shield.  I assume I would need to find a way to insulate the part I'm loading up from ground as well as ensure that the "clothesline" wires are electrically connected to the mast.  The clotheslines I've seen around here in the stores run about 6 ft x 6 ft x 6 ft

I'm assuming the more wires from the clothesline, the better, and I would need to have some ground radials as well.  I'm also considering a remote antenna tuner at the base, if the price is right.

Due to the metal construction, and need to have it blend in, I don't think trying to design it as a loop would work.

Any thoughts or suggestions on my idea?

Thanks!

N0UJT
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 02:49:13 PM »

I'm considering building a "hidden" vertical antenna, using a store-bought "umbrella" clothesline (presumably constructed out of aluminum supports with some sort of insulated wire).  My thought is to connect the center of the coax to the clothesline at the base, then ground the shield.  I assume I would need to find a way to insulate the part I'm loading up from ground as well as ensure that the "clothesline" wires are electrically connected to the mast.  The clotheslines I've seen around here in the stores run about 6 ft x 6 ft x 6 ft

I'm assuming the more wires from the clothesline, the better, and I would need to have some ground radials as well.  I'm also considering a remote antenna tuner at the base, if the price is right.

Due to the metal construction, and need to have it blend in, I don't think trying to design it as a loop would work.

Any thoughts or suggestions on my idea?

Thanks!

N0UJT
  Could work if you set it up right.  I heard of a ham who used an artificial Christmas tree with a wire running through it and some buried radials, with good results!  Ever think of putting up a flagpole?  Smiley
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »

You didn't say anything about the frequency you're interested in, but I'll assume it's an HF band.  I suggest you read the articles written by Jerry Sevick in QST back in the early 70s on shortened verticals.  If you're an ARRL member, you can get them online for free.  Jerry described the techniques for building substantially shortened verticals, including the matching transformer required.  These were, of course, single band designs.  We used shortened verticals of that design for 20 and 40 meters quite successfully. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: