Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am at a loss, I have a hash I cannot locate  (Read 3567 times)
KF7NUA

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2012, 01:48:36 PM »

Well I have been following Alans "KOBG" website as best as I can and I am at a point were I am lost.....

Truck is a 2003 Dodge Ram Diesel.
I started with a hash that was at a S5-7 and sometimes jump to S9 level and it was real bad to my ears and almost impossible at times to hear any DX.
I have bonded the hood, fenders, cab, exhaust and bed and I have removed all excess hash I think but one and I am lost in finding it.
I have two different HF mounts on the truck so it has been esier to see and hear the results comparing both.
I have 2x #6 or 8 power and gound cables from the engine compartment ot the cab into a junction Box with multiple connector points as in a bus bar where I connect my radio to.
Main antenna mount is Dodge truck universal mount that bolts on the inner fender and slips out under the hood on the driver side.
Mount is grounded in 3 locations, 2x fender bolts and 1x mount bolt, all 3 have 0 ohm on the meter.
Currently with the ignition off and running on the truck battery power only, I have a constant hash that to me is anoying.
If I remove the antenna, there is the same hash.
Ingnition in the acc position, same hash with or without the antenna and no additional other hash.
Start the truck and with truck running, same hash with or without the antenna and no additional other hash.

Radio is FT-857D.

Can this be a radio induced hash?

Any ideas?Huh??
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:32:42 AM by KF7NUA » Logged
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 02:05:45 PM »

I have 2 thoughts
(1)  Electric fuel lift pump (Usually in the tank
(2) Injectors, someone in the UK put ferrite rings on the wires that trigger the injectors

American pickups are not very common over here, I'm just thinking out aloud.

73 de Tony
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 02:30:09 PM »

I would agree with you but without the ignition on or the truck powered up and running, I have the same hash as with or without the antenna. Straight power from the battery and a dead truck gives me this hash.
I guess I can eliminate all reference to the truck and use a stand alone battery or battery charger to power up the radio and see if it still has the hash.
W2RI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 02:30:38 PM »

Currently with the ignition off and running on the truck battery power only, I have a constant hash that to me is annoying.
That's interesting. Have you tried disconnecting the truck battery and connecting your radio directly to the battery? Is the hash on all bands, or just some?
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 02:38:37 PM »

Sorry, I misread
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »

Currently with the ignition off and running on the truck battery power only, I have a constant hash that to me is annoying.
That's interesting. Have you tried disconnecting the truck battery and connecting your radio directly to the battery? Is the hash on all bands, or just some?

It would be easier to try an out of truck battery than remove the cables in this truck as there are 2 batteries for this truck
The hash is on 40, 20, and 10m, I have not tried any other bands because I had none of the hamsticks for the other bands.
As of 1 hour ago I came home from a local hamfest and I did buy the other antennas and I will try them in a day or two.
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 02:44:04 PM »

Sorry, I misread
no problem  Smiley
W2RI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 03:25:23 PM »

To troubleshoot I would recommend connecting to another battery while the truck batteries are disconnected;
As another step, I'd also temporarily connect the hamstick to the radio (without using your existing cabling) to see
that there's no issue with the cabling to your mount.

At the risk of asking what might seem a stupid question... you do have the antenna connected to the HF antenna input, right?
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 06:12:58 PM »

At the risk of asking what might seem a stupid question... you do have the antenna connected to the HF antenna input, right?

I hope so but I checked to be sure, yes!  Grin

I do have an update, I ran a different coax from the mount to the radio via outside the truck and not thru the fire wall as the original had and low and behold it was quieter than the first.
I had a neighbor come over and listened for me to confirm what I had before and after and he agrees it was quieter, about 1/2 as much hash.
I then removed the radio from the truck and hooked it up to a power supply I have and it was just as quiet as the second coax I ran, this is good I am thinking.
Next I installed it once again in the truck and hooked it up to the first and then the second coax and once again it was identical, a lower hash, good again.
Next i put the key to ignition on and there was a small increase in the hash.
Next I started the truck and the hash was stll there.
Now I need to narrow this small increase, I need to find where it is comming from.
I listened to Alans noise sound bite examples and none are the same as this sound.

At least I know the small amount of hash I hear when the truck is not runninh is the same as when the radio is in my shack so the small additional amount I may be able to live with.
I guess it is time to change the external speaker (cheap one) to a Motorola Police vehicle speaker I have sitting around and see if that tones it down a little.

From where I started, before the bonding, grounding and changing things the level has gone down to a S3, that would be my guess as the radio has a S2 level without attaching a coax to it.....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 07:44:37 AM by KF7NUA » Logged
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 06:58:22 PM »

I just changed the speaker and this one has a better base and not the high raspy treble which removes additional hash. Much better!
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 07:45:26 PM »

The FT-857 is noise blanker is pretty good and if you haven't invoked it you might want to. The DSP noise reduction is menu #49. And the IF noise blanker should be switched on.

KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 07:46:54 AM »

The FT-857 is noise blanker is pretty good and if you haven't invoked it you might want to. The DSP noise reduction is menu #49. And the IF noise blanker should be switched on.

I am sure I have this turned on but I will confirm it.
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 07:49:02 AM »

Alan - if you do read this, is there something I am overlooking?
I may pull the FT857 and try my ic-7000 to see if this continues?
N7TEE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 08:09:39 AM »

I have a 04 Dodge diesel, and I have no hash at all.    I went straight to the battery for power connections using #10 wire.  Also, I use a power pole splitter block to feed three radios and my tarheel HF antenna.  Came thru the rubber above the steering column for the power and two antenna coaxes, the third goes thru the rear wall of the cab.  The HF rig is a FT 450, could not see the dial on the FT897 from the drivers seat.

Hope this helps,  Dave
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 08:43:46 AM »

I have a 04 Dodge diesel, and I have no hash at all.    I went straight to the battery for power connections using #10 wire.  Also, I use a power pole splitter block to feed three radios and my tarheel HF antenna.  Came thru the rubber above the steering column for the power and two antenna coaxes, the third goes thru the rear wall of the cab.  The HF rig is a FT 450, could not see the dial on the FT897 from the drivers seat.

Hope this helps,  Dave

This is why it is bothering me, my buddy has an 04 also and it is dead quiet in his truck too.
Now I am wondering if my power wires have anything to do with it!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: