Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am at a loss, I have a hash I cannot locate  (Read 3743 times)
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 09:33:19 AM »

Could be your truck`s computer. As long as the key is turned on  it`s working.
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 10:18:51 AM »

could be!

I just went out and tried something different.
Unhooked the power and ground wires to the radio and hooked them up to my power supply which I put in the back seat for this test, hooked an extension cord from the garage to the pwr supply and checked the radio again.
no key in ignition switxh - same hash S1-S2 as if the radio was in the shack with no antenna installed.
key in the on position - same hash S1-S2 as if the radio was in the shack with no antenna installed.
Truck started and running - same hash S1-S2 as if the radio was in the shack with no antenna installed.

Re-wired the pwr cables back to the junction box and the same as before, S3 hash when key is on and or truck is started.

Because the Diesel is a loud running sound I decided to try a Headphone to see if I could hear the hash sound any better.
Started the truck and I heard the hash start and I also heard a single POP or Snap sound only once when starting and then once when shutting the engine off.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:22:21 AM by KF7NUA » Logged
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 11:34:29 AM »

After listening to the hash sound through the headphones I decided to go back to Alans website and listened to the sound files once again.
I can safely say that the sound is similar to the Electric Motor Noise, I did not have the heater/AC fan running so I think I can rule this out so next is the the Engine cooling fan. I did also go to DTR (Diesel Truck Resource) forum and someone has mentioned that Dodge needs to fix an issue of RF being radiated from the engine cooling fan, I hope this is the problem.
I also just realized I have Electric Trailer Brakes, I would think they would produce a pulse type hash and not a steady hash, I guess I will disconnet it and see if it helps.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 12:31:35 PM »

If the hash exists even in your shack, then I would suspect the radio itself. IF,
the same level of hash does not exist with any other HF rig you have in your shack.
It may simply be that the radio is generating the noise.
If you have another HF rig that you can temporarily try in your pickup, you can see
if the pickup is generating the noise that way. If it shows up on the other rig, then
it is coming from the truck or a nearby source, like a power line (A/C) insulator.
Drive out in the country somewhere away from power lines etc. and turn the truck off
and see if the noise is present.  My 97 Dodge Ram Diesel is quiet as a mouse. Mechanical
fuel injectors instead of electronic, help. But, drive into the little town down the road and
as soon as I get near the city limits, all kinds of noise pop up. The noise blanker in my
ICOM 706 MKIIG won't kill it . But, it's not too bad.
  As for your buddy's 04 being quiet, is he using the same radio? Just the difference
between radios could be the reason he is not having the same issues. (and different
location too) S2 noise level isn't that bad. And if the bands of interest are active at all,
then you'll barely notice it. On HF modes(SSB, AM, CW), you will never have full quieting
 like in FM mode. Unless, you turn up the squelch. Then, you will miss that rare DX station that you could have got with the squelch backed off!!!
 It appears to me you have done about all you can as far as bonding etc. Switching radios is about all that is left. (if it's not something you are picking up while parked in your driveway, like power line noise or a plasma TV nearby).
 Being mobile you will never get completely away from external noise sources. It's part of the mobile "experience" !!!!
james
WD5GWY

KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »

Well I was able to find the problem and eliminated it for the time being.
I did the same thing over and over this morning, I turned on the radio with the truck off and noise was like S2-S3, then started the truck and S4-S5, this was a bit worse than yesterday, OK, what am I going to do. I said to myself that I need to find out what it is.
I started checking everything that is affected when the ignition goes on but not starting the motor. After a while I notices this sound that sounded like a cheap electric tire pump just going on and on. A diesel is loud enough but I was able to trace the sound to the passenger side of the engine compartment behind the 2nd battery. I saw it putting away, I never saw that before and I have owned this truck for 9 years, I had no Idea what it is for. Long story short, it is a Vacuum pump for the Cruise Control. I had issues with the CC awhile ago and decided when I have time I would look into it, fast forward 18 months of not thinking about it and here I am. I unhooked the power harness to it to disable it and the noise dropped to the S2. I am told the hard plastic line from the pump to a connector rubs and cracks and also breaks which causes the pump to run continuously..... 

The last thing I need to do is try another radio to see if it can get quieter, if not I am happy at were I am at.  Grin
LA9XNA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 09:53:37 PM »

Instead of trying all the suggestions from Eham start to pulling the fuses in the fuse box.
When the hash is gone see in the manual what the fuse is for and start with the earth-wires and ferrit-beads.
This way you dont have to redo all the electrics in your truck.
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 06:00:53 AM »

Instead of trying all the suggestions from Eham start to pulling the fuses in the fuse box.
When the hash is gone see in the manual what the fuse is for and start with the earth-wires and ferrit-beads.
This way you dont have to redo all the electrics in your truck.

You missed it, just one post above your reply is the conclusion to the problem, I found the my truck has a Vacuum pump for the Cruise Control, and a plastic line was broken causing it to run continuously which was causing the Hash, I am happy now, it is nice and quiet and I cannot believe what I have been missing all this time.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: