Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My "new" TS 520 and the one watt signal  (Read 3742 times)
N8TI

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2012, 03:31:22 PM »

I received my new TS520 from buying it  from a ham here on eham.
I set it up in my kitchen so I could play with it this weekend.  I threw together a shortened dipole made from ladder line and wire where the ladder line is used to load the arms of the dipole. I fed it with some old Radio Shack RG58 I had and threw it up on the deck. I had to wrap the wire around the deck posts to get it to fit. I wrapped a bunch of the coax around a Pepsi bottle to make a choke and brought the coax through the doorwall.
My second contact with it (I am near Ann Arbor, Michigan), was on 40 meters with a guy running one watt to a 600 foot long wire in Wisconsin. What a riot! The TS520 had no trouble picking him out. In fact, he was pretty loud.  I was listening through the rig's internal speaker to boot.

So, it just goes to show that you can still have fun using normal equipment ($200 plus shipping), with an antenna that is not supposed to work. The rig does not have any CW filters, I just use the RIT to get the signal to come in where I can hear it.  Ham radio is a lot of fun.

Joe
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »

Way to go, Joe!  That's a far better rig than many of us had starting out decades ago, and our antennas weren't any better.  At that time, my ham friends were mostly broke teenagers and we got great pleasure out of making simple and inexpensive things work.  One of my more memorable QSOs happened while I was testing my Heathkit DX-20 transmitter using what we all thought was a decent dummy load - a 100 watt lightbulb on a piece of coax.  To my surprise, another Novice 300 miles to the west of me began calling me and told me I was 579 using the lightbulb antenna. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 04:08:23 PM »

A new modern radio does not really hear much better than a old one but some of the newer ones handle noise better, have better selectivity and much better rejection of strong adjacent signals too. Also much better VFO's too. 520 is still a nice rig to play with.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 06:53:04 AM »

Good move Joe.  This winter I decided to restore my oldest equipment including my 1977 vintage TS-820 which had a few problems including a rusty case.

Yahoo has an extremely active group that covers the TS-520:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-520_820_530_830/

Here's a site that sells some important replacement parts. My cabinet screws had gotten rusty so I replaced them for a few dollars.
www.K4EAA.com

Bought a can of spray paint from WB0IQK who is active on the Yahoo group and it matches my TS-820 perfectly. (is the 520 the same exact color?) Looks like new now.

---
My 820 will hear anything a modern radio will hear. It will drift more so let it warm up before operating. 500 Hz cw filter would be useful and are commonly available.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 02:39:43 PM »

Sounds like you are experiencing the pleasure of ham radio in its purest form.
Your post gives me extra incentive to build that long postponed Rhombic aimed at Japan, put the FT817ND on it, and see what comes out of the bushes.
Makes me think of my first radios (home brew CW tx, modified transistor radio for receive), followed by my first commercial rig - an old tank radio scavenged from a war surplus junkstore.
Next came a war surplus aircraft transmitter which was a true work of art with ceramic and silver roller coil.

Whenever I get agitated with my present equipment, a quick trip down memory lane soon shows me how lucky I am these days.
But, like ones first car, that smoking clunker which we got as a teenager, my first equipment still brings fonder feelings than my present equipment.
Memories are like that.

73s
N8TI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 08:56:31 PM »

I think the only limit we now have on ham radio fun is the lack of Hans on the air available for ragchewing.  I believe that the busy world we live in limits the time that most hams have to simply fire up the rig and make some QSO's.

Joe
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 04:47:14 AM »

Glad your recently purchased TS-520 works fine Joe.

I wonder, do you still have that Hallicrafters station from the 1964 World's Fair?
N8TI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »

Yes, I still have the Hallicrafters station that was set up in the Coke pavilion at the Wirkd's fair. Hope to have it up and running in a few weeks got the TS 520 permanently set up.

I have to admit that I am running the audio for the TS 520 through a DSP unit. The 520 does not have any filters and I lost a couple of QSO's to QRM, so I figured I'd have to bow to the march of time. It works well now. I used an old Radio Shack unit. Probably one of the last things that Radio Shack built for ham radio use.

Joe

VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 04:34:20 PM »

Glad to hear you still own that one of a kind Hallicrafters station Joe. That one is unique to say the least.

I have owned a TS-520, 530, 830 and they are damn good radios, even when you compare them to late model radios.

Have fun with that rig Joe.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 04:16:08 AM »

Yes, I still have the Hallicrafters station that was set up in the Coke pavilion at the Wirkd's fair. Hope to have it up and running in a few weeks

I've seen references to that station--I hope when you have it set up, you'll put some photos on the web for us!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: