Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being Humbled  (Read 855 times)
EXWA2SWA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 01:49:41 PM »

Good on ya & welcome aboard! If you hear me scattering electrons, give me a call and we'll struggle through this thing together.
Glad to have you in the world of dits & dahs,
Jim KE5CXX
AE6RF

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 08:24:17 AM »

OK, I _fully_ agree that the best place to be practicing is on the air.

However, sometimes that isn't possible for me.

I've found that Morse Runner, with QSN, QSM, LIDS, QSB, and the activity set to "2" is nice practice.

It is a contest simulator, and throws all sorts of things at you.

I used it before going back on the air and credit it for helping me ignore most QRM, and cope with folks a couple hundred hertz off frequency.

It gets you used to QSB and crashes as a normal occurance.

Initally I freaked out when anything other than "perfect" was there, but Morse Runner helped take the edges off of that.

It's free and can be downloaded here

http://www.dxatlas.com/MorseRunner/

73 de Donald
M0DIY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 05:03:35 AM »

This is probably going sound really feeble but ...   I'm in the position of attempting my first cw qso. Such a prospect I find quite daunting especially after listening on 80/40/20 for the past week - so fast and so much QRN/M. I've been learning by using Ray's (G4FON) program and can copy up to about 20wpm but not for long. The idea of having a cheat sheet sounds good but does anyone have a copy which shows the sort of main variations I can expect?  Still not sure how both stations would usually sign off to close the qso in a 'normal' way - been hearing dit-dit. Last night I heard a special event station dq2006s (World Cup) getting through quite a few contacts but couldn't quite understand the format. Apologies if this causes any exasperation.
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 05:48:06 AM »

Any cw contest time is hardly the moment to attempt a first cw contact. Wait for a typical mid-week lazy day, then go to it. The earlier "Humbled" subject comments are pretty much spot on. Cw operators love this mode and not about to discourage a new operator. Good luck.
KA4AZY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2006, 06:05:03 AM »

First time as a novice with an old Heathkit SB101. Sent my string (cq cq cq de ka4azy, etc)... thinking - surely no one will here this.... LOL...

Some station out there - don't remember who it was comes right back.

Paniced - "wowa! should I go back to them?" -
Don't remember what I ended up doing, but remember being really spooked when someone 'did' actually answer back - LOL...

Welcome to a great side of radio!!

KA4AZY
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 06:18:14 AM »

I don't remember the call sign of my first QSO, 27 years ago. But I remember he was in CO.  And I remember that the vast majority of our QSO, after I sent "UR MY 1ST QSO," consisted of exchanging full mailing addresses for QSL. My callsign was too new to be in the Call Book, and I did not have one to look up his. It lent a topic to the conversation and greatly helped to settle my nerves.

Don't worry about how your first CW QSO goes.  You will be better next time, because the nerves will be gone.  
KI4BBL

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2006, 09:35:25 AM »

I have been doing this cw thing sporadically for about 2 years.  Everytime I get on, it is like being new at it.  The only difference is that I get better at receiving.  Sending is still pretty rough.  I started with a straight key, and my first contact was with a guy in Texas.  Very patient.  Also, even now, I will send to someone and think that I totally blew it, the other station will come back with a reply as if he/she knows inherently what I am sending.  CW ops are the best.  Very patient and willing to help.  Contesting is a different story though.  Some will work with you, others will go right past you.  That's understandable though.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: