Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSO in 28 MHZ 10m band  (Read 1773 times)
LU6FAE

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2012, 06:24:17 PM »

Hello,

I`m adjusting a vertical 10 meter antenna and I would like to test it. I`m based in Argentina and I would like to schedule a QSO in 28.450- 28.550 Mhs with any US station. I`m good at speaking slow english. This weekend the band is very busy because CQ contest but however it is possible to perfom a normal QSO.
I have a TS520SE transciever with 100 watts.
Any interested station that would likes to contact to me please let me know by this forum.
Thanks in advance

Aldo - LU6FAE
Funes
Argentina
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 04:56:19 AM »

Aldo, I'm sorry I can't set up a sked with you today.  But let me suggest to you that a contest is a PERFECT time to test a new antenna or radio!

If you can say "five nine zero one," "five nine zero two," "five nine zero three," and so on, you can work contest stations!  :-)  Nobody wants or expects an honest signal report during a contest, and there will be stations from all over the world eager to work someone they haven't already worked.  The contest is a GREAT opportunity to test your radio and antenna!

Listen for someone calling:  "CQ contest AC4RD" or similar.  You hear that and know AC4RD is looking for contest QSOs.  You reply with your callsign: "LU6FAE."   The calling station says "LU6FAE five nine, five three three."  (Meaning you are his 533rd contact in the contest.)  You just reply "Roger, five nine zero one"--and you have just worked a contest QSO!  Log it and listen for the NEXT person calling!

It is very easy, and I find it fun, and it is also a great opportunity to put some new countries in your log!  The contest stations will be EAGER to work you--you are one new point for each one! 

Give it a try, amigo, and have fun!  73!
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 03:49:38 PM »

But let me suggest to you that a contest is a PERFECT time to test a new antenna or radio!

Is it?
I love contests, but am not sure if they are a "perfect"
time to test an antenna.
You won't be able to discuss what the other station is using for an antenna,
nor his power level.
The other guy could be using a dipole, or could be running stacked monoband yagis.
He could be barefoot, or he could be running 1,500 watts.
Either way, he sure as heck doesn't want to
take the time to discuss his setup.

I DO fully agree that it is a great way to gain operating
experience and grab some easy DX. And if nobody
comes back to you in a huge contest, something is seriously
wrong with your antenna system or radio.

Aldo:
Email me if you like, I am good at QRZ.com.
We can try to setup a 10m QSO a couple days after the contest.
I'm diving back in, was just taking a break.  Grin

73, Ken  AD6KA
AJ4CU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »

Aldo,

I will be available Tuseday, Wednesday and Thursday this week and would be happy to listen for you, email is good on qrz..

73 DE AJ4CU

Hari
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 05:49:32 PM »

But let me suggest to you that a contest is a PERFECT time to test a new antenna or radio!

Is it?
I love contests, but am not sure if they are a "perfect"
time to test an antenna.
You won't be able to discuss what the other station is using for an antenna,
nor his power level.
The other guy could be using a dipole, or could be running stacked monoband yagis.
He could be barefoot, or he could be running 1,500 watts.
Either way, he sure as heck doesn't want to
take the time to discuss his setup.

I worked Argentina from the UK with 25W and USA with 5W into a tribander on 10m. Was that a good test?
LU6FAE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 05:59:45 PM »

Hello Guys,

Thanks very much by your advices. I did three or four contest contacts with US stations. A couple of them was WX3B and the other one was TM4W. According to that I assume the antenna is working more or less good. I have measured ROE and it was 1.4 at 28.500 MHZ. My vertical is a K type antenna with just one radial tube type at 45 degrees. The antena is 11 meters from ground and 3 meters above home roof.
Next weekend (on Saturday 31 st) we could setup a QSO at 2:00 PM Argentina time (I think you must have 3 or 4 hours difference) at 28.500 MHz. Propagation conditions are the best in this time at midday. Please let me know if you prefer a different time.

73`s

Aldo
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »

I worked Argentina from the UK with 25W and USA with 5W into a tribander on 10m. Was that a good test?

I would say that is a good test. I have worked most of Europe on 5 to 10 watts SSB from a double length G5RV but ddi not try this weekend because of the contest.
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 06:26:46 AM »

Aldo

Just for your reference, right now it's 10:18 AM in Buenos Aires which is one hour "ahead" of New York time.
It's 9:18 AM here at my home in the central US east coast.

Most of the US observes 'daylight savings time' for part of the year, and that is in effect now.

So, right now the US east coast time is 4 hours behind GMT.  Buenos Aires is 3 hours behind GMT.

(The US mainland has 4 time zones.)

This may help you with skeds to the US (and Canada).

Buena suerte

Steve KZ1X/4
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 11:53:42 AM »

Could be.
Depends on the antenna and *power level* the
other stations were using. And it doesn't help much
that in contests everyone gets a "59" report no matter
how weak they are. Would be more helpful if you
got an honest signal report. (maybe you did!....<shrug>)

Congrats on your nice contacts!
73, Ken  AD6KA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: