Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for headset recommendations.  (Read 5979 times)
KC2ZPK

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:59:03 AM »

Well, it should have been apparent during the ARRL SSB DX contest, but became apparent this weekend. The desk mic, cheap headphones and contesting don't work for me. Maybe because I had to record serial numbers instead of power level, or whatever, but one hand on the mic does not work.

I started looking for online reviews, and the Heil Proset Pro Plus got great revierws, but I now see it is discontinued. I see the Proset 4 is also discontinued but HRO still has some. The Proset Elite 6 is available, but does not have the 'DX' mic element. Since all I have used is the Shure desk mic (526T Super Punch), I am not completely up to speed with what works best for DX and contesting, which I like to do. I can always go back to the desk mic for rag chew. I don't have any outboard audio processing, and the radio is a Kenwood TS-940.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

John
KC2ZPK.com - A work in progress
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 06:13:32 AM »

Well for what it's worth I'm also running a TS-940 and when contesting use a Heil headset with the HC-4 DX element. Not sure of the headset model number as I am not at home right now. It is an older model though, purchased probably 20 years ago with the lightweight foam style earpieces. I will oftnn use this in VOX mode while contesting or use them in conjunction with a foot switch that I have connected to the rear of the 940.
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:12:37 AM »

If and when my Heil Pro-Set Plus breaks down, I will probably go for one of these:
http://www.arlancommunications.com/

These products also get very good reviews and are in the same price range as the now discontinued Pro-Set Plus.

Why Bob discontinued the Pro Set Plus is something I don't realy understand. I thought the Pro-Set Plus was big but the new Pro-Set Elite realy looks hideous
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:27:08 AM »

I like my ProSet-4 hands-down...but, I also have a Yamaha CM-500.  You really need some outboard equalization to get the DX punch.  But, it sounds alright on the TS-930S for rag-chewing.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 10:29:03 AM »

I have several other headsets but find myself going back to my Heil Proset with the HC-4 element.  I also use the Heil HS-2 hand PTT switch.  As far as the Heil Proset Elite, I don't have any problems with the looks of it.  Actually, I never liked the bulkiness of the Proset Plus.  If I did not already have the Proset, I would probably buy an Elite.
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »

I use a Heil Pro set with an  HC-5 element,the HC-4 is a little harsh for me.The HC-5 sounds a little more full and still has plenty of punch.I'm very happy with  this product.
N6DZR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 11:56:58 AM »

I have heard good things about the Yamaha CM500 headset:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375558-REG/Yamaha_CM500_CM500_Headset_with.html

-Jeff
WS7X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 12:46:52 PM »

I too use one of the Heil headsets and for the most part it works ok. Nice to have both the dx and rag chew mike elements.    However since I wear glasses I find that the headset squeezes the glasses against my head and this becomes uncomfortable after a couple hours.  The ear pads are a little on the hard side and the part on top of my head is annoying.    So whatever you decide on, you may want to try them on first and consider if you can wear them for hours on end during a contest.  I bought mine without trying them first and may have chosen something else had I known they were going to be so uncomfortable.  Mine is the pro set plus and it's built to last but...maybe the newer ones are more comfortable?     My ear still hurts from yesterday...
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 01:23:56 PM »

I use a FlightCom Denali - a lightweight aircraft headset with mic.  They're made to wear for extended periods, and you can often find them in great condition on the used market.  Check out sites where pilots buy/sell such things. 
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 02:08:34 PM »

Well, it should have been apparent during the ARRL SSB DX contest, but became apparent this weekend. The desk mic, cheap headphones and contesting don't work for me. Maybe because I had to record serial numbers instead of power level, or whatever, but one hand on the mic does not work.

I started looking for online reviews, and the Heil Proset Pro Plus got great revierws, but I now see it is discontinued. I see the Proset 4 is also discontinued but HRO still has some. The Proset Elite 6 is available, but does not have the 'DX' mic element. Since all I have used is the Shure desk mic (526T Super Punch), I am not completely up to speed with what works best for DX and contesting, which I like to do. I can always go back to the desk mic for rag chew. I don't have any outboard audio processing, and the radio is a Kenwood TS-940.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

As another long time TS-940S owner/user, I take another approach. I do not like bulky headsets while operating even though I do use a pair of headphones, which are both a blessing and a curse to operators. Blessing in the fact that you can hear much smaller signals with them on, curse when you have to yank them off because of some friggin moron deciding that he/she needs to tune up their amp right on the same freq as the S2-3 DX signal is on and you have everything cranked open to hear that signal. Right now, I'm also doing some comparisons between corded headsets and IR wireless headphones.

I have developed another hands free approach similar to a headset. Using a Heil PL2T boom arm and GM-5 microphone, I can do PTT using a Heil foot switch which leaves both hands free to operate the radio functions, type on the keyboard, take notes with pad and pen, etc. I also use a W2IHY EQPlus for audio processing and have the audio processor turned OFF on the 940. Monitoring my transmit output signal on the SM-220 scope, the envelope looks good and clean both barefoot and with the amp. In multimode contests, I can swing the boom mike out of the way for CW/digital and back to do phone. I also have this audio setup patched through a homebrew switchbox for input into my TS-2000S/X for use on 6M and 2M contesting and operations.

Just another solution to the same problem.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KC2ZPK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 05:22:14 AM »

I use a Heil Pro set with an  HC-5 element,the HC-4 is a little harsh for me.The HC-5 sounds a little more full and still has plenty of punch.I'm very happy with  this product.

Does Heil have audio recordings of each type of elememt?

John
KC2ZPK.com - A work in progress
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 11:39:15 AM »

I have a couple sets of pro set plus, and several others.  I mostly use the prosets.  If you have questions, call up and ask for bob heil and talk to him ( most of the time he answers the phone ) about the best set for  your use.  he is very knowledgeable  about audio.

I most often use a heil 10 with the dual 4/5 element, mostly on the 4 setting. I use it with a boom holder mounted to the back of the desk.  this keeps the mic at the right level to talk, but clears the desk . so call and ask, the folks at heil are super, and Bob and the gang will probably be at Visallia and other major ham functions. 
WF2S

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »

YAMAHA CM 500. I own two Heil and two Ten Tec. The Yamahas' are softer on the ears, lighter on the head and mike sounds great in contests per those on the other end! It is very popular with K3 owners. and at under $50, it makes financial sense!
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 09:20:07 PM »

Does Heil have audio recordings of each type of elememt?

If I remember correctly, they used to have them on their website...

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 04:05:53 PM »

I use the Proset 5 with my TS-850 since the radio has a High Boost that makes the HC-5 sound like a HC-4. I use my Heil headset for everything I use the Heil foot switch for 'Stomp to Talk' and have used it for over 15hrs at a time without discomfort and I wear glasses. The Yamaha CM-500 is good for any radio with the bulit-in EQ like the K3 ect. But I will stick to my Heil.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: