Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Work Radio (442Mhz) setting off office paper shredder?  (Read 1988 times)
WALTERB

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2012, 07:01:14 AM »

So we just got these wouxun radios for work.  I programmed them for our freq.(442Mhz)  They work fine.  However today we noticed that if you stand near the paper shredder (which is in the office of the person who has to use the radio), and you key the mic, the paper shredder starts up.

Its an Officemax paper shredder.  I've never heard of that before.  We tested it multiple times and its very dependable.  the shredder starts each time the mic is keyed and continues until you release the PTT.

any suggestions?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »

What happens if you lay the radio on the "intake" of the shredder and then key it? Cheesy
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:17:26 AM »

This is an Official Safety Notice.....

It has been reported that new hams have been resting their bare feet on top of the office shredder while on breaks and using their handhelds. This is discouraged for the shredder might start running intermittently. Shredded toes will diffidently clog the shredder. If you have any questions please contact me on Ex-086.

Sincerely,

Stumpy
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:21:21 PM by K6AER » Logged
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:49:46 AM »

WalterB - I am curious, what kind of work do you do that requires (allows) you to transmit on 442 MHz?

Dick   AD4U
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 06:42:28 PM »

Walter if you told us where you were I'm sure someone could come over and help you with the RFI problem, there are many members all over the country.

Are you in the States or somewhere else by the way, and like AD4U asked why just on 442 MHz since you have many other choices ?

I'm can't believe that you use it on only 1 frequency since you are licensed for so many more frequencies to use, why not try some other frequencies and see if they interfere with the shredder.

Mike
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 07:29:23 PM »

Does it have a mechanical sensor to detect paper in the input or an electronic sensor?

My guess is that the wires to the sensor are picking up RF from the transceiver (perhaps
they happen to be resonant around that frequency?) and it generates a voltage that
the shredder interprets to mean there is paper in the in put tray.  (It may be RF causing
a sensor of some sort to conduct as another possibility, depending on the details.)  A
good first step would be to add a bypass capacitor across the sensor, and/or a ferrite
bead or two on the wires.  (You might have to experiment to see which end of the
wire makes the most difference.)
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 04:12:11 AM »

1. 442 Mhz is not a "Business use" freq in the USA, so you might get a few comments.

2. You have a simple RFI issue, and the problem is in the shredder... it is not supposed to act as a receiver!  The signals are probably being picked up by the power cord, and a wrapping the power cord (near the shredder end) around a ferrite rod or some snap ferrites will probably solve the problem.
73s.

-Mike.
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 06:54:51 PM »

Thats cool that you and all your coworkers are licensed hams!
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 01:42:14 PM »

Thats cool that you and all your coworkers are licensed hams!

I seem to remember other recents posts by you that indicated that your company had "elected" you to investigate passive repeaters and other ways to extend your in-building coverage.  Walter, does your company have an FCC license for 442 mHz?  That is not a Land Mobile Business Radio frequency in the US.  Did your business buy a bunch of amateur radio transceivers?  

You might want to check into that, or your business could find that much more is about to be shredded than scrap papers.

Terry, WØFM

(And, since you stated that YOU programmed the 442 MHz frequencies into the above radios any amateur radio license that you might (?) hold could be in jeopardy as well.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:07:03 PM by W0FM » Logged
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 02:22:09 PM »

Ok, in re-reading this I see that many others picked up on the "troll-ish" nature of the questions long before I did. 

Movin' on......... Undecided

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: