Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help With Semi-Stealth Vertical Antenna Selection  (Read 9162 times)
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 02:28:01 PM »

Quote from: W1JKA
...Yes I have to go outside to tune coupler when I change bands,but coupler is premarked for bands,only takes a minute ...

I use a big rotary switch with one position to select the coil tap and the other a fixed or
pre-set variable capacitor.  Makes it easy to change bands, even in the dark.

(Of course, once you go that far, the next step is to turn the switch remotely...)
W0NTS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 04:35:09 AM »

I have two suggestions. The first is a flagpole. I'm not sure which company makes it, but there is an actual flagpole vertical antenna made. I have seen pictures of one encircled with landscape blocks with various flowers, etc. inside the circled area and an actual flag hoisted to the top of the "flagpole". The tuner was hidden amongst the flowers and other plants. A little searching of various antenna manufacturers websites will reveal the maker. My second suggestion depends on if you have an attic. All kinds of antennas can be concealed in an attic, one suggestion being MFJ's loop antenna with a rotor.   Dennis W0NTS   
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »

120 feet of #26 black insulated stranded copperweld wire, often called "stealth antenna wire." Configure it as an inverted L, with the vertical portion starting at ground level and going up as high as you can get it (think slingshot). Use a weatherproof remote autotuner at the base (SGC, MFJ, Icom). Since the antenna will have a relatively high impedance at least on the "traditional" ham bands 80-10, a serious radial system is not needed. See L.B. Cebik's (W4RNL, SK) online article "My Five Favorite Backyard Wire Antennas" for confirmation. I think I have that title right. Against the trees the wire will be invisible. And no coax or ladder line feeders going up into the air to give the installation away.

W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 08:05:23 AM »

Be careful with violating the conservation area thing. As mentioned by someone else they may watch more than you realize and any troubles/fines will fall in your lap. As will and damage from a lightning strike. At my QTH I would be required to pay for and provide replacement for anything damaged. The "fathers" will automatically believe your "electronic stuff" drew the strike so it's 100% your problem. I could be required to pay for a new 50 foot oak tree to replace one that they say was hit because of my antenna. God help any of us if a forest fire started!

For my RV -- an idea than can easily be duplicated for home use -- I have an SGC237 with a SLA in a wx proof plastic ammo box. On one one end is a wing nut/stud for "ground" and on the other end is a wing nut/stud for "hot. I run a couple 30 ft tape measures out (short flexible pigtails to the post) for "ground" and a random wire for the antenna flung as high to wherever I can. 7 AH SLA lasts months as the tuner only draws a hundred mills when it's working and I think zero when it's not -- then occasionally I recharge it and am good to go for a long while again. The circuits "do the math" between what they see on the "ground" and the "hot" terminals so it radiates as best as it can but the coax sees 50 ohm input so it's happy and the rig sees 50 ohm coax so it's happy.

You could put a large flower pot upside down with the tuner in it and a plant in a planter on top of it. Totally hidden. Run some HEAVY wire out a few feet in 2 or 3 or 4 directions and terminate it in in 8 ft ground rods. True -- it's a lozzy ground especially in FL sandy soil. But the tuner will think it's "sort of" a ground and will do the best it can and use it. Same for a random long wire -- tuner does the math and deals with it to radiate as well as it can. Rig is safe from hi SWR so it's OK. Raise a telescoping mast as needed (the cheap ones don't need guys and will support 25 or 30 feet of 18 gauge hook up wire) -- or run the wire along the house eves or over the roof or wherever you can. Or the same "ground" idea at the base of a 4BTV that's inside a 3" dia PVC "flagpole" will work. They do not REQUIRE the spider cap hat spokes -- so long as the traps fit in the PVC you can make it work.

You do what you can do.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: