Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APRS Software on a Windows Mobile 5.0 device  (Read 7638 times)
W5DQ

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2012, 01:36:09 PM »

Anybody had any luck in putting APRS software (or any WinCE s/w for that matter) onto a Win Mobile 5.0 PDA WITHOUT using Microsoft's ActiveSync or Mobile Device Center applications. I used to be able to sync/load these devices using older ActiveSync version but it appears that MS developers (and worse, project management for letting it happen) had brain damage and somehow released WinXP Service Pack 3 without it supporting ActiveSync. Talk about dorky ideas!!! And it appears that Win Mobile 5.0 devices aren't supported by Mobile Device Center s/w (only Mobile 6.0 and up are) so there is this gap of non-supportability. Thanks Microsoft Sad

So now I have 3 older PDAs that I used to be able to run WinCE APRS s/w on and now I can't. I dug these out to put on an APRS demo for our club and spent several hours this weekend trying everything short of voodoo and black magic and still NADA. I know it is possible using Win2000 and ActiveSync but since I don't have this configuration anymore, I was looking for alternatives.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KJ4YZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »

you can download activesync as an executable and install it. i have windows xp sp3 and i have activesync on it. im not sure what programs you are using, but i just bought a windows ce.net tablet, and i will be installing this software for APRS myself when i get home saturdaY. i would be glad to help you, if you want to call me sometime i can try to walk you through it. 7726465967 and leave a message ill get back to you. i have loaded aprsisce on my windows mobile 6.5 smartphone through activesync on windows xp sp3 so i know it can be done.73
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 11:18:35 AM »

you can download activesync as an executable and install it. i have windows xp sp3 and i have activesync on it. im not sure what programs you are using, but i just bought a windows ce.net tablet, and i will be installing this software for APRS myself when i get home saturdaY. i would be glad to help you, if you want to call me sometime i can try to walk you through it. 7726465967 and leave a message ill get back to you. i have loaded aprsisce on my windows mobile 6.5 smartphone through activesync on windows xp sp3 so i know it can be done.73

Did you actually use ActiveSync to link to your Win Mobile 6.5 phone or was it Mobile Device Center s/w? According to the MS ActiveSync 4.5 download page, it specifically states that it WILL NOT work with XP SP3 Huh It says to use Mobile Device Center s/w for Vista and Win 7 but I even tried MDC s/w on XP SP3 and neither it nor AS4.x will work with any of the three PDA's I tried. I already downloaded AS4.5 and AS4.2 and could not get either to work. I also confirmed the USB port is functioning correctly. After I gave up on Sunday, I remembered that I have an old IBM Thinkpad 600 that was taken out of service that I can boot up and if I think it has AS4.x on it. I'm going to try that this week when I get a chance. If that doesn't work, I give up as this is taking way too much effort to do just for a one off demo. I don't use APRS anymore as I don't need it. I simply volunteered to do the demo as I thought I had everything still working that would support it but now it appears not Huh

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
GRANDKODIAK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:32:40 AM »

Check the installation file folder of the aprs software if it has one, you can install stright on the device if you can find or extract the .cab file that matches your devices processor type (ie. mips, arm etc)

Tech/General

no base station yet

Yaesu FT-7900r VHF/UHF
Cobra 29LX CB
Wouxun KG-UV6D VHF/UHF
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 01:21:30 PM »

Tnx for the inputs and suggestions but the need/requirement that started this thread is now OBE so I don't plan on expending anymore energies on it. I have way too many more irons in the fire to worry about trying to 'fix' the improvements that Microshaft has imposed on us mere mortals by their update philosophy.

As far as I am concerned, Microshaft's ActiveSync and Mobile Device Center is just bloatware since it is so limited to when, how and with what devices it will work. For me, it is not needed as it appears I don't have anything that will work with it so I have chosen to remove it from my systems to save hard disk space and operating memory.

I think this little episode has underlined the fact that I need to get off my toocus and learn Linux fully so I can break the chains of Microshaft.

Tnx again,

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
GRANDKODIAK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 05:07:15 PM »

I loved my windows phones since before iPaq's had sim card slots in the production line haha. I had a whole library of awesome software for it, and then I broke down and got a Droid Razr Maxx... never go back.

I also love Linux, and I run it on 3 PC's, and its also on my Droid actually!! Its far easier then you think, if you need any help, lemme know! I had 2 dual boot's, I keep Windows around for gaming and for the rare time where I need some random software that linux doesnt have. (ps. adding software is easy as search/click now'adays, dont get scared by the terminal controls! youll barely ever use it in the new versions! I'd recommend Ubunutu or Kubuntu depending on your preference. If you have a spare USB stick, download the LiveUSB Creator and install one of the flavors of linux on that, so you can try it out before diving in!

Tech/General

no base station yet

Yaesu FT-7900r VHF/UHF
Cobra 29LX CB
Wouxun KG-UV6D VHF/UHF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: