Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: vibroplex "keyer" vs "key"  (Read 598 times)
KE7FCK

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2006, 10:05:09 PM »

Hi,

I have a vibroplex "keyer," when I wanted a "key" I think.

My radio is an Alinco DX-70t.  I want to get on 6m with CW.

I also have a Yaesu FT-221 2m all mode that I want to use for 2m CW.

I have this bug, with a small square base, and I was told I needed an electrnoic keyer to use it, when what I really wanted was a bug that I can plug in and use, I guess a long thin base rather than a square base.

Am I being clear enough, since I don't really know what I'm talking about?

Help me get on air, and fill me in on what I have vs what I need to get on the air.  I like the compact base of what I have, so if an inexpensive electrnoic dievice, with a small footprint, will get me where I want to go, can you lead me in that direction?

Thanks,
Carl
KE7FCK
CN84
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 11:14:03 PM »

OK almost all modern rigs have the keyer built into the rig. You basically set the computer in the rig for keyer, and set the speed, and there you are. Just plug your key in.

Or, you can get an outboard keyer, and many companies make them, the ones by Idiom Press are well thought of, and there are many others.

You may want to look at the Vibroplex key reviews and see exactly what you have. Hopefully you have the Vibroplex iambic paddles which is a very good key.

www.ac6v.com is a GREAT web site for learning CW, learning the nuts and bolts of various keys and methods, and all aspects of hamming. Check out the CW section of that huge page, you should get most of the info you need there, and between this site and that one, just about all you need.
AB9LZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 03:40:53 AM »

You have the right key, While its true that the ones with the long thin base do not require an electronic keyer (which I think your radio already has, built in) they are much harder to use.

6m CW sounds like fun.

73 Mark
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 07:26:41 AM »

You're thinking of a "bug" (made by Vibroplex and others) which automaticly forms the dots using a weighted spring mechanicsm, but requires you to manually form the dashes, as you would w/ a straight key. The speed of the dots is adjusted (from fast to faster) by moving the dot spring weight on its rod. slow dots (slow code) may be achievable if additional weight is added. Dash speed, needless to say, is manually adjusted.

It sound like you have a Vibraplex brand paddle instead, in which case you'll need an electronic keyer (w/ or w/o iambic mode)  
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 08:12:24 AM »

(1) there is no keyer built into the DX-70 series.

(2) you want either a straight key or a set of paddles and an external keyer.

(3) a "bug" takes considerable time and practice to use correctly and they are nearly impossible to use under 15 to 20 wpm. They are designed for the experienced high speed operator, not slow speed beginners. Actually, they were designed for high speed railroad and Western Union telegraphers, originally.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 09:55:48 AM »

Lon is correct. It does take some time to perfect a 'bug' technique. I was taught in the Air Force...no electronic keyers then...at least in my old outfit. You could learn eventually, but I but wouldn't wait until then for that first cw QSO.

E-bay is a good source of keyers/paddles. Now that most modern rigs have built in keyers, you may find some outboard keyers at a decent price there. Just don't get caught up in the bidding frenzy. New plain-jane keyers and paddles are frequently not much more expensive than what you can find used on e-bay. And they are returnable to the ham supply store if defective.

73 and enjoy cw.
W4SK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 06:22:26 PM »

Carl,

Lon is exactly right.  You will do better by skipping the "bug", and going with a straight key, or an external keyer and a paddle.  The Idiom Press keyers are superior, and can be purchased in either kit form, or already assembled and tested.  Also, while I am not an MFJ fan, you can get a less expensive keyer from those guys, just in case you are not sure you'll like it.

Get on there with us, you'll like it!

-73-

W4SK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: