Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-950 audio record setup into PC/HRD  (Read 2081 times)
KE4CQ

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2012, 06:44:29 AM »

After a bit of Googleing, I have not quite come up with answers to some of my questions regarding setting up the FT-950 to record and play audio.

I understand that i can use the 6 pin mini din RTTY/PKT port at the rear of the radio. The pin-out diagram shows Pin 1 is data in and Pin 5 is data out. I understand that these pins will be the carrier for my audio in/out. Will I need to use any other pins? Pin 2 is ground, 3 is data ptt, 4 is fsk in and 6 is sql out.

My motherboard is the Asus P6X58D Premium with the RealtekĀ® ALC889 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC integrated sound card. I have "line in and line out" ports on the sound card.

I have dissasembled and removed a cord from a broken PS/2 keyboard. It uses the 6 pin minidin connector and has 4 wires plus ground. The 2 pins located at position #1 and #5 have wires connected. The ground wire is connected to the minidin shield. So, I suppose this could be a good solution for a connector cord.

I purchased plugs from Radio Shack - both mono and stereo because I am not sure which i will need. I am thinking stereo but do not know how to make my connection from a single conductor. The stereo plug has 3 connection points available. Which do i use?

Am i on the right track? If not, please advise.

Also, how is recorded audio transmitted? If I use HRD to make my recording - how do i re-transmit it on air?

Thanks for the help.

Kevin, KE4CQ
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:26:31 AM »

I would check into something like the Tigertronics SignaLink for your rig interface.

www.tigertronics.com/

I do not believe HRD has the ability to playback audio.  You should be able to just use any media player and select the correct sound card for output.
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:39:38 AM »

HRD ver 5 does have the audio record function.

As far as interface, the tiger box it a nice option to interface the audio and rig control functions. I assume you have HRD rig control & logging figured out. For the audio "only" I would recomend an isolation transformer between the computer and rig audio lines. I made mine from an old modem. The advantage with the SignalLink is that you have the adjuctable controls for digital modes and aidio adjust, instad of just the software.

Hope this helps!

73  Dave  KD8GEH
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 06:28:04 PM »

The Tigertronics Signalink usb works great for this. I have an FT-950 and signalink usb and have done exactly what your wanting to do very easily. I kinda discovered being able to use it for audio recording by accident. I use Audacity to record the audio. It will allow you to adjust the levels and it works really well. Just make sure you get your sound card settings right and you'll be good to go. Trust me, its much much easier with the interface. I have tried it without the box and its a pain in the butt to say the least.

K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 04:26:53 AM »

>HRD ver 5 does have the audio record function.

Yep, however, he also asked about playing back audio, which I do not believe HRD does at the moment.
KE4CQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 05:40:14 AM »

I have decided to take a different route for now.  I went from my "rec" jack on the back of my rig to the "mic" input of my pc card.  Seems to work o.k. for now.  I will soon get me a rig blaster or signal link system.  Thanks for the replys.

Kevin, KE4CQ
W5JLF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 08:37:48 AM »

Kevin, KE4CQ

I routinely record my QSOs.  I have a FT-950 with a SignaLink USB soundcard.  I also am using HRD V5.11a.  On the Logbook screen there is an Audio Recorder function.  In order for your own audio to be recorded you will need to use the MONI function of the FT-950.  This is necessary for your audio to be picked up by the SignaLink so the computer can record it.  My email address is correct on http://www.qrz.com/.  Send me an email and I will send you a recording I made while working a station the Netherlands on 02-17-12.

Joe, W5JLF Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: