Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RV Portable  (Read 1206 times)
AC0US

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2012, 07:57:26 AM »

Though I won't be operating mobile, I am considering a HF screwdriver antenna with a fold-over mount for my 25' class C RV.  I've spent more time than I care to admit on the K0BG.com website, and I think the fog is starting to clear up some but...

With an elevated screwdriver mount, it appears ground loss is my biggest problem to overcome.  My RV has a tube aluminum frame, but from all the reading I've done, trying to count on this framework as a ground plane is at the very best... iffy.  Since I will not be operating mobile, I'm curious about the use of a counterpoise with an elevated screwdriver and the best way to deploy it?  I've read of folks just clipping a spool of wire as a counterpoise, so I know I'm getting overloaded with information that is starting to confuse me instead of clear up misconceptions.  

What's your recommendation?

Brian - ACØUS
Southwestern Nebraska
W2RI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 09:17:22 AM »

Some ideas in this thread : http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,76364.0.html
and check out this book  : http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/amateur-radio-in-canadas-north/15719312
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:29:54 AM »

Just as with an automobile the RV is not a ground plane, it is the other half of a vertical dipole.

So, if you mount the screwdriver at the top of the RV you will achieve the best performance.

Tarheel has several "lift-and-lay" mounts, including a motorized version, that could be mounted on top of the RV. Or the Tarheel MT 1 mount could be mounted on the ladder. The top of the ladder should be grounded to the RV aluminum frame. To attach the antenna Hustler quick disconnects (DX Engineering has these) can be used.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: