Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flopor/Seat bolt gooseneck mount  (Read 7317 times)
KD0LAV

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »

Anyone have experience using these kinds of mounts?  It mounts under the seat track and has a gooseneck swivel pedastal for mounting the radio.  Am looking at mounting a Kenwood tmv-71a control head on it.

Anybody have any mounting ideas for a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu?

PS..Sorry for the spelling errors.  Board would not let me remove it to do over.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:57:29 PM by KD0LAV » Logged
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 01:07:37 PM »

They work fine for holding faceplates, certainly nothing heavier though (not the radio body).  My biggest problem was that on my particular vehicle, it impeded the range of motion for sliding the passenger seat forward and back and also interfered with the passenger's legs.  If you never have a passenger in the seat, it might work fine for you.

You might check www.k0bg.com for other ideas.

Stephen
N5VTU
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:15:51 AM by N5VTU » Logged
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:06:16 PM »

I agree.  That mount will be fine for the faceplate of the radio, but not much more.  Back in the '80's, when cell phone transceivers were trunk-mounted and the handset/cradle were on the transmission hump, I used the goose neck mount for the lightweight handset/cradle.  I screwed two different lengths of flexible goose neck together to make the neck a bit longer and that gave me sufficient range to move the handset into position for me without impacting the passenger seat.  The stock goose neck is a standard size available at most music stores for microphone stands, so it's easy to get another short piece to add on.

Terry, WØFM
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 03:46:49 PM »

hi,

Ram Mounts has a nice selection, one of them is a rigid
aluminum rod that can be bent to fit your needs
RAM-B-316-1-238U

http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/RadioMounts/tabid/925/Default.aspx

73 james
KD0LAV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »

The wife is long legged so the seat being able to move is critical for her.  Someone suggested a suction cup mount on the windshield to the left side of the driver position.  I am right handed and never thought of that so I am considering that.  I still haven't made a decision so am still open for ideas.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 03:22:55 PM »

The biggest problem with seat bolt mounts? They shake! If you're driving on smooth streets, they work as good as any. Off road? Forget them!

Someone suggested Ram Mounts. They make one which attaches via a seat bolt, but the arm is solid and well secured with thumb screws. Prepare yourself, they aren't cheap!

I see a lot of folks using suction cup mounts for all sorts of gear. However, they have too many drawbacks for my taste. They're either in your field of vision, within range of the airbag, or aren't secure enough for anything more than a cellphone. And what about all of those dangling wires? As far as I am personally concerned, using one shows a lack of concern for one's safety in the event of a crash.

KD0LAV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 04:02:55 PM »

Alan, as always you make some valid points.  We went for a drive today and looking where a seat bolt mount would put the radio is also where the wife's leg would hit restricting her comfort.  What mount would you recommend?  I would only have the Kenwood 71A in the car.  No HF.
KX0Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:52:59 PM »

I just put an FT8900R in my 2010 Toyota Avalon.  I used a gooseneck to mount the control head.  The gooseneck is fairly stiff, it takes a fair amount of force to bend it in to the correct shape.  It holds the control head very well and in an easy to access and see position.  It doesn't seem to really impose upon the passenger from what I can tell.  Super simple to install as well..
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 10:44:26 PM »

I use a gooseneck seat bolt mount for an IC-706 remote head and it is fine for that.
One problem can be when you move the seat forward it may not go very far forward without you moving the gooseneck more forward. In other words, the mount doesn't of course move back and forth with the seat.
I would like the gooseneck to be a couple inches longer than it is.
Another thing I am not crazy about is that with mine, the piece that the cradle for the control head mounts to does not snap or lock onto it's mate that is on the top of the gooseneck. It slides on somewhat snugly and has never been a problem but I thought it was strange that it didn't snap on in some way.
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 07:15:38 PM »

Hi Duane, I guess by now you have mounted your radio. I used this type of mount in my last vehicle, a '98 Expedition. The mount bolted to the front edge of the left side passenger seat rail. It held an Icom 706 control head and mic, and for a short time a small swr meter - all at the same time. Nary a problem.

Let us know how you made out.

-Jay
KD0LAV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 08:09:34 AM »

Jay,
I did get it mounted.  The mounting kit you have to purchase for the Kenwood has a neat little base with some very strong adhesive on it.  I mounted it left of the instrument cluster.  I will have to see how it holds with the summer heat but for now I lay white paper over it since the manual warns against direct sunlight.  If that adhesive fails then it will be back to square 1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: