Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Six Element Tri-Band Beam with 1/2 over the house  (Read 1768 times)
W4IOW

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »

I am planning to install a 52' tower at my home right next an exterior wall. On the tower will be my TH-6DX beam. That means that 1/2 of my beam will be above the roof of the house. Are there any issues or safety concerns with this installation?

Thanks for replying,
Ray - W4IOW
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »

Have you applied for a building permit ? will the beam extend over your neighbor's property ?
How will you mount the beam on the tower ? work on the beam once it's up there ? Lots more questions to answer - having the beam partly over the house is the least of them!
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »

Safety ? Depends on mounting methods, attached to the house? Mounted to a correctly sized concrete pad?, Correctly guyed for its weight ? Near any powerlines?

Effective; How high above existing roof?

As previousy asked, lotta questions.
Bob
W4IOW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »

I have all the permits, the engineering drawings, and the installation specs. The tower is a HG52-SS and the beam is well within the specs of the tower. I have spent two years and a lot of $$$ getting to this point in the process. Thanks for the comments thus far.

Ray - W4IOW
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:48:40 PM »

Okay good to know, what are your concerns?
Bob
W4IOW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 05:54:21 PM »

Mostly I am looking for the experience of others who have this configuration. Do you end up with TVI? Are there any other issues to be aware of? I am running barefoot so from the calcs I've done I am not exposing my family or neighbors to excessive RF exposure.
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 06:15:22 PM »

Hello Ray,
Take a look at this link. It may answer some of your questions. In general the higher frequencies on your beam like 10 meters would probably be the maximum which is about 30 ft. With the 52 ft tower you should be OK in my opinion.
Here is the link and good luck ,enjoy your antenna.  http://www.rsgb.org/emc/docs/pdf/leaflets/emc-leaflet-13.pdf
I have a 3 element quad running 900 watts much of the time at 40 ft right outside the house. I keep a field strength meter hanging on the wall with negative results so far.

Frank
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:18:15 PM by K4RVN » Logged
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 06:19:57 PM »

Got it, I ran a two element quad for years at 40 ft over my roof in Fl, often at full legal power, never had any tvi or rf issues.
It's more about proper matching and I assume your antenna will be fine as designed. At 50 plus feet, unless your roof is substantialy higher than I am guessing, you should be good to go.
Bob
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 07:13:27 PM »

The best help I can offer is my experience, My next door neighbor is also a ham with a 55 ft tower, running legal limit.

I've never had TVI problems, except for one telephone in my house.

My tower a 70 ft one, is 70 feet from my house.  I use a tribander running legal limit and also a HyTower, 45 ft from my house, and have never had TVI while running legal limit into it.

My guess is that cable TV and satellite TV have reduced the occurrences of TVI?

My "hat is off to you" for enduring the lengthy and costly process you have been through.

Bob
W4IOW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 08:21:58 AM »

Thank you to all who have responded. It is reassuring read about the success that others have had using this arrangement.

73!
Ray - W4IOW
NT6U

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »

My tower  is 24" away from the edge of my roof.  The antenna is 15 feet above the highest point of my 2 story roof.  I have a slight swr curve on 15 and 20 meters while turning the reflector over the house.  I do have multiple antennas / other coax on the roof that may add to this.  I'm not sure how or if this effects the pattern of my signal or not, however I have had tremendous success with this antenna.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »

Hi Ray,

Many hams put roof mounted towers (typically 8-10ft Glen Martins, etc) on the center of the peak of their roof.  So their entire beam is over the roof.  If this approach didn't work, I'd think the word would have spread long before now. 

You are fortunate to have the permits and the tower.  Enjoy your beam.

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: