Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 MHz out on Kenwood ts130s  (Read 3113 times)
KJ6TSX

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2012, 08:48:57 PM »

I ran into a little snag last night and need a little advice. I was tuning up my Kenwood TS130 s on 30 meters last night trying to get the swr down when the digital frequency display went black. To my relief all the other frequencies work fine. I assume that this means it should be limited to one circuit?? any suggestions?? or is this a project for  pro??
Thanks
George
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 06:13:35 AM »

I know NOTHING about this rig.  I assume the 10MHz band is dead, not just the display.  If so I would definitely suspect that something went "south" in the 10MHz circuits.

First I would verify that the 10MHz band oscillator crystal is oscillating. This can be verified by loosely coupling the antenna of a general coverage receiver to the 10MHz oscillator crystal and tuning the general coverage receiver to the 10MHz oscillator crystal frequency.  If the crystal is oscillating, you will hear it in the general coverage receiver.  

BTW the 10MHz oscillator crystal DOES NOT oscillate at 10MHz.  The actual frequency will be printed on the crystal or it should be indicated in the manual or on the schematic.  This is the frequency that you tune the general coverage receiver to.  

If the 10 MHz oscillator crystal is oscillating, then you have another problem.  If it is not oscillating, find out why.  The problem may be as simple as a dirty bandswitch.

Dick AD4U
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:06:38 AM by AD4U » Logged
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 12:11:09 AM »

Check the VCO voltages.  It may take nothing more than tweeking a dirty trim pot. 
KJ6TSX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 07:03:07 PM »

I can't believe it was two years ago that I lost 30 meters, I have decided it is time to fix it <GRIN> I found the BPF Coil for 30 meters is burnt. After looking at the schematic I found that if the other bands work it had to be the coil. My question is do you think the high swr could have caused this to happen?? or something else??
Thanks
George
KJ6TSX
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 08:18:18 AM »

High SWR maybe but close magnetic pulse definitely can smoke a filter coil. Keep in mind that you don't have to hear or see sparks in the sky to have high voltages generated on the antenna. Short story to illustrate - had an overcast windy day and disconnected the ant feed-line from radio and ran it back out the window. Placed a clip lead on the center conductor and over to a fluorescent tube on the patio table. wasn't long before saw some flashing in the fluorescent tube but no sign nor sound of lightning. Bottom line - everyone should have suppression on the feed-line so you don't have "mysterious" failures.
Regards,
Dick KH2G
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 09:49:41 AM »

I find it curious that the display and the band went dead. the display is pretty far removed from the band circuity. Is the display still out? Is it only black on 30M?Huh Do you hear anything on 30?
I don't know anything about your rig either, but some things are almost "givens" in the design and failure modes HF radios.

W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 10:31:46 AM »

I find it curious that the display and the band went dead. the display is pretty far removed from the band circuity. Is the display still out? Is it only black on 30M?Huh Do you hear anything on 30?
I don't know anything about your rig either, but some things are almost "givens" in the design and failure modes HF radios.

The 30 meter PLL Unit oscillator, Q2, has failed. This resulted in the PLL Unit to change from LOCK to UNLOCK for "30 meter band ONLY". When this happens the display will go dark. the 30 meter VCO will be turned OFF, and the band in question will no longer TX and RX. This is normal and can happen to one band ONLY!! The PLL, when it changes from LOCK to UNLOCK, will turn the display OFF and that's also normal. Switching to another band that works the PLL Unit switch to LOCK state, turning the display back on, and the TX/RX works. Again, this is all normal.

I recommend you troubleshoot the PLL Unit's failed 30 meter circuit, Q2, on the PLL Unit board. Read the alignment section in the service manual for the PLL Unit and VCO oscillators. Study the block diagrams in the service manual how the PLL Unit works so you learn how the PLL Unit works..

If you don't have the TS-130 service manual, you can download it from my website in the Manuals, Docs, and Mods page.

Mike W5RKL
www.w5rkl.com

KJ6TSX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 06:10:08 PM »

Thanks for the reply s
I studied the schematic and the band switch switches between different  BPF Coils each corresponding to a different frequency. I don't pretend to know how the whole circuit works but when it is switched to a different coil it works fine. I remember when it went out I was having some sort of antenna problem, that is why I was listening to wwv using it like a beacon.

I am considering selling the unit and trying to decide if it is worth the trouble to tear it apart and change the $4 part??

Thanks Again
George
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 09:14:42 PM »

http://www.k4eaa.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: