Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laugh if you want but WTH are green stamps  (Read 4948 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »

I see on occasion that people want green stamps for "return postage" on QRZ.  What in the heck are they, and where do I get some?  THanks, in advance.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N3QVB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »

Green stamps are what dollar bills are referred to.  When a station requests a green stamp in exchange for a QSL card, the operator requesting the card folds up a dollar bill in an envelope, with the QSL card, and mails to the other operator.  This covers the cost of the postage.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »

Green stamps are what dollar bills are referred to.  When a station requests a green stamp in exchange for a QSL card, the operator requesting the card folds up a dollar bill in an envelope, with the QSL card, and mails to the other operator.  This covers the cost of the postage.

Thanks.  Why can't they just day 1 USD? 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 01:24:55 PM »

Thanks.  Why can't they just day 1 USD?  

It's a little bit of an in-joke but you have to be old enough to remember S&H Green Stamps.

I have very fond memories of when I was a kid, visiting the local S&H Green Stamp store with my mom to redeem stamps for toys and kitchen items.

The term carries connotations of "funny money" but also implies the reward you get for trading them in for something you've longed for, for a long time. It's about patience and saving up for the big reward.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:35:51 PM by N3QE » Logged
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »

There is a bit of a science to sending out QSL's to foreign countries and enclosing greenstamps. Folding anything inside that makes the envelope thicker invites curiosity.

Do a bit of researching around the net. There are some good techniques to use when sending cards out. For instance, NEVER EVER put callsigns on the envelopes. In countries where curiosity in the postal office might open envelopes, they know call signs generally means there could be dollars in the envelope.

As for me I have two different sized envelopes. The smaller return envelope fits flat inside the larger send envelope. There are some other tips out ther about what order things go inside the envelope, where to place the dollar bills, etc. I have a fairly good return rate when I send direct.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »

Thanks.  Why can't they just day 1 USD? 

Jon,

I've heard the one dollar bill called a "greenstamp" for as far back as I can remember (I was born in 1958) but never actually seen any actual reference to why. I know from my coin and money collection interests that a "Greenback" is another nickname originally applied specifically to the 19th century Demand Note dollars created by Abraham Lincoln to finance the costs of the Civil War for the North. I've never heard anyone refer to a greenback for QSLing however. One story I heard was when the new FRN (Federal Reserve Notes) came out they had a GREEN Treasury seal (or stamp) on them and since there were bills in existance already with different color Treasury seals, the FRNs were referred to as 'greenstamps'. I don't know if this is true or not?

On a side note, there are many abbreviations used in ham radio that can trace their origins back before radio to landline telegrapher's shorthand. Many new hams use these in CW and digital and have no idea the history surrounding them. They just use them because they see others using them and they figure that is the way it is done. This is correct but there is always an explanation to a mystery if you look deep enough. Many of society's little quaint sayings made their way into ham radio and thus they are still used today as part of our 100 year old ham radio tradition.

BTW Looking at your eHAM page, I see I was a ham before you were born  Grin but regardless of that, I am constantly learning new stuff so be prepared to learn ham radio's fact and trivia the rest of your ham 'career' if you're like most of us.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W5DC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 02:36:44 PM »

Back roughly 50 years ago. stores used to give S&H green stamps as a bonus for purchases.  S&H had catalogs of "gifts" that could be purchased with these green stamps.  There's a metal folding  table on my patio purchased you kids with these green stamps by my wife almost fifty years ago.  The practice of including currency in envelopes for return postage was referred to as including green stamps.

Don't you kids know anything?

:-))
Dunc, W5DC
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 03:00:09 PM »

I remember having to help the wife lick the damn things to affix them to the little booklets.  That is before I got our daschound liking the taste of the glue on them. I would just put them in front of her nose and she would lick em. (while I was drinking my beer...... Glue ruins the taste of the beer  Cool )  Gene AF3Y
N2CJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 03:47:28 PM »

I was always under the impression that they were euphemistically referred to as green stamps on the air in order to avoid creating the impression that money was changing hands, since hams cannot be paid for their services.
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 05:00:27 PM »

Now, I'm starting to feel old.....

For those of us who still remember...Here is your S&H green stamp flashback: http://tinyurl.com/74r889b

Actually they still exist, but in a new form, S&H Green Points (www.greenpoints.com).  Hmmmm... I wonder how many books it'll take to get a K3 line  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:09:22 PM by W1NK » Logged
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 11:37:53 PM »

I'm Canadian eh...Greenstamps are the funny look you get when you walk into a Canadian Bank as ask for all the 1$ american bills they have....

VA2FSQ
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 12:00:43 AM »

A one dollar bill is green.
It is taking the place of a stamp for the return postage.
So, greenstamp.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 04:21:12 AM »

Back roughly 50 years ago. stores used to give S&H green stamps as a bonus for purchases.  S&H had catalogs of "gifts" that could be purchased with these green stamps.  There's a metal folding  table on my patio purchased you kids with these green stamps by my wife almost fifty years ago.  The practice of including currency in envelopes for return postage was referred to as including green stamps.

Don't you kids know anything?

:-))
Dunc, W5DC

Apparently not... I googled green stamps and found the S&H stamps. I couldn't believe that was what folks were talking about so I thought I would ask here. I guess I can stop watching those green stamp auctions on eBay (hi).

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 08:34:47 AM »

We had green stamps in the UK. I still have the blue metal tool box that I got from sending in my green stamp books.

Mark N1UK
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »

S&H and Gold Bond stamps Grin

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: