Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using A New Call Sign On The Air  (Read 1905 times)
AK4SK

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2012, 01:07:07 PM »

I recently upgraded my license to extra and I decided to get a new sequential call sign (I'm now AK4SK). Most of my time on the air has been on local nets. Should I announce that my call sign has been changed when I check in to nets and give my old call also? I've only been a ham for a few months so its not like there are many people out there used to hearing my old call, but there are a few.

Thanks for the help.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 01:12:52 PM »

Congrats on getting your Extra! I'm not sure what sort of nets your are checking into. If it is some sort of informal ragchew net, sure I could see where you might want to let some of the folks know that you have a new call. I'm sure they'll be pleased to hear of your upgrade. If it is some sort of traffic net or something you're just being added to a list, I'd just use the new call.
WA7KPK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:28:58 PM »

Well, you're required to use the call sign the FCC gave you for legal ID.

That said, I'd say just check in to any nets you're on with the new call when your turn comes around. Depending on how strict and formal the net is you might want to say something short like "formerly KZ7ABC, just got the call for my Extra upgrade"; otherwise, you can let net control or management know when it's convenient. If it's a net that does announcements or formal traffic, you might consider announcing that you just got your new call, or you might send a formal NTS-style message.

The worst that can happen is they'll say they don't have you on the list and will ask for your name and QTH, and then you can tell them "I just upgraded to Extra and got a new call, my old call was (old call) so go ahead and update the net roster." You'll probably get a round of congratulations. Enjoy them, you've earned them.

Oh, and congratulations from me too.  Grin

AK4SK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 04:47:43 PM »

Thanks! What you're saying makes sense. I figured something like that would work but I wanted to find out if there was an accepted practice before I made something up.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »

Short and sweet..... this is AK4SK, formerly "KZ7ABC".  That will take care of the correct ID and also let the net control station know who you used to be.

Congratulations on the upgrade! 
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 04:10:43 AM »

One more "congratulations!" message in the thread!  Smiley  Congratulations on the upgrade! 
AK4SK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 05:52:50 AM »

Thank you all and thanks for the help!
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 12:23:07 PM »

That is a bad-ass call sign, sir.
AK4SK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »

That is a bad-ass call sign, sir.

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. It is a little easier to say that KK4GDX and it shouldn't be too mad on CW either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: