Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid Square Boundary Question  (Read 2416 times)
K0BT

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:15:45 AM »

The boundary between DM33uq and DM33vq runs through my back yard.  My primary shack is in one grid square and my antenna, which is 150 feet behind the house, is in the other grid square.  I also have an operating position setup in the workshop behind my house that I use during the winter months when it is cool enough to sit out there.  I just swap feed lines and it keeps the XYL happy because she doesn't have to listen to "those radio noises".

This raises a few questions.

1) Should I use the grid square of my station, even though the radiating element is in a different grid square?
2) If someone needed both grid squares, could I simply transmit from both locations?
3) If I run a remote connection to the radio out back, and yet operate from inside the house, which grid square should I use?  The one where I am sitting or the one where the radio and antenna is located?

I'm sure I could make up answers to these questions myself and no one would be the wiser for it, but I like to follow the rules.  Does anyone know the real answers?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
K0BT
KC0RZW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:52:54 AM »

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,79499.0.html

Don't know if that fully answers your question, but it may help.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:58:54 AM by KC0RZW » Logged
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 05:07:17 PM »

I asked a very similar question as a new ham many moons ago.  The crusty old fart in the corner was the only one to answer.  His reply was in the form of a question, "if I DFed your signal where would it take me?"
N5WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:28:19 PM »

The answer to your question is: "It doesn't really matter which one you use".

For practical purposes, most folks never use anything but the 4-digit grid square: i.e. EM12 .  That's usually enough for most folks.  If someone really wants a 6-digit grid identifier, flip a coin and use one or the other.

73 Wayne N5WD
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »

Most of the time the 4-digit locator is all that's used, so it wouldn't matter.

Maybe in the 10 GHz and up microwave competition they use the 6-digit locators, I don't remember and didn't look it up...but that would make sense.

In EU, they have contests where 6-digit locators are used to determine distance between stations and multipliers are based on that, but we don't have any contests like that here that I know of.

For general VHF-UHF-SHF operations, all we use "here" are the 4-digit locators.

However I'd say based on conversations with the League regarding VHF contesting, the grid your antenna is in is the one that counts, and if the antenna happens to be located exactly  on a line between two squares, "pick one" and stick with that one.  You can't give out two without physically relocating.
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 11:54:34 PM »

Thank you to all who replied.  It is always enjoyable to learn something new.

Bob K0BT
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 06:26:32 AM »

Good rule of thumb to follow is to use the grid square where the transmitter is, not where the remote operating position is.  Just another .02 for consideration.  73!
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:34:40 PM »

Check the VUCC award rules that cover this situation:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Awards/VUCC%20Rules%202011_Rev%2020110512.pdf

The rules are different for the VHF+ contests.

Dave, N6ORB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: