Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NMO Mirror Mount vs Mag Mount  (Read 4719 times)
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »

I'm using the hood-fender slot mount - when I first put my longish (40") 2m/440 antenna on it, it worked, but the whipping around was very distracting at speeds above 30mph. I switched to a short 2m/440 antenna, and have been very happy with it. I keep the long one in the vehicle in case I ever need it, but haven't in 3 years so far. I the LA/Orange County area, repeaters are on hilltops or mountaintops, so pretty much anything will get the job done on VHF/UHF FM.
KD0PBO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 07:53:33 PM »

:::UPDATE:::

I got the new mount installed and the antenna moved and checked in to one of the local nets tonight while driving home from work. Interesting results to say the least. Not only do I still have reports of dropping out in the lower valleys but also given a weak/strong signal report depending on what direction I was driving. I find that being broad side to the repeater to which I'm talking gives a better signal while driving directly at or away from gives a weaker signal, even on recieve. So far nothing too horrible, though a definite drop in performace as expected. Tomorrow I'm going to run a small ground wire and see if giving the mount a better ground to the bed will help.

KD0PBO
Miles
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 07:27:31 PM »

As others here tried to tell you,  you'd have been better off replacing the 5/8 antenna on the roof with a 1/4 wave whip.   Moving any antenna to a less effective ground plane is only going to give you inferior performance.   If your budget allows,  I'd also suggest a Sti-Co  super-flexibile whip .  You will not have to worry about obstruction damage to your antenna anymore;  but even a non-flexibile 1/4 whip would be preferable to what you have done.

Ed   K7AAT
KD0PBO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »

Ed, (and to all for that matter)

I don't understand what all the hype is about getting a 1/4w antenna. My 5/8w antenna is working just fine. After my last update I actually went back and added a ground strap to the bed of my truck and did a retune. I'm not gonna go drill a hole through the roof of my truck just because a 1/4w will work alittle better than my 5/8w. I would rather re-use my 5/8w than buy a new antenna. I am in college and have very very little funds to put towards this hobby so buying new equipment is a tough thing for me. After tuning up the antenna and making sure it was fully grounded with the ground strap, I have near identical performance to having it on the mag-mount on the center of the roof. I know theory says that taking away groundplane and what not hurts the radiation pattern but I can't argue with the real life results I am having. The only short fall I have found with the new position, and this was expected, is that recieve signals fluxuate alittle more while moving through different surroundings i.e. driving under a bridge or next to a tall building or hill can cause a slight drop in signal. So small that is doesn't even cause an S unit to drop on the meter.

KD0PBO
Miles D.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: