Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Politics in amateur radio forums?  (Read 14752 times)
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 08:43:08 AM »

Please don't think that the noisy intolerant folk are representative of all Americans; unfortunately, the shrill, closed-minded ones get the most attention...

While there is a substantial number of people who are so fixated on their own particular worldview that they are incapable of even considering that there may be other viewpoints with equal (or more) validity, there is an even greater number who simply wish the loudmouths would shut up.

Unfortunately, a disproportionate number of the loudmouths are in the public eye on both sides of any issue, demanding, in effect, that "I'm right - the facts don't matter, and anyone who disagrees with me is an ignorant lout!!!"  Witness to this is the substantial number of politicians whose ego demands that their "gut feelings" have ascendancy over scientific truths, and that the only criteria they recognize to accept that science is valid is that it supports their position.  (I live in Texas, and Governor Rick Perry is a classic example of this.)

The truly tolerant, open-minded Americans tend to recognize that it is useless to try to enlighten these windbags, as it would be a futile waste of time; they simply get on with their lives, happily and quietly leaving others to get on with theirs.

If I have offended any loudmouth windbags by this, they have my condolences.  However, this may be a good thing, as it would mean they recognize themselves; awareness of one's intransigence is the first step towards correcting it.
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 10:24:29 AM »

Hi Tom,

Sorry for generalizing. I know that this is not the case of all Americans.
Your comments remind me of the words of a U.S Lieutenant who died in the Anzio campaign in Italy during the war.
In his last letter home he advised his son 'always to be moderate in his dealings with others' if situations like World War II were to be avoided. These words had a profound effect on me both as a history graduate and as a human being.

God Bless America.

Fred EI4GMB

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 01:17:10 PM »

Watching TV causes one to have very distorted view of reality as TV often picks on extreme cases. Then vulnerable souls want to act!

The antidote is more ham radio and less TV.

Perhaps when we see political comments, we can feel pity for the poor souls who have nothing left in life except to complain, and move on.

Sorry for generalizing. I know that this is not the case of all Americans.

Fred EI4GMB
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »

One thing also to consider in American TV news--the producers want to "sell" their product--and therefore are more likely to sensationalize the smallest detail of just about anything reported on--sometimes to the point of straining the truth, and sometimes even past the breaking point.  When that is picked up by some people who believe everything they hear on some shows, they could well spread that result to other places--such as this forum.

That's just another reason to grow a thick skin, and to take what is seen with a grain of salt instead of getting hot and spouting off.  73!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: