The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Meter interference with computer  (Read 964 times)
W8RID

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2015, 01:19:15 PM »

I have been trying to hunt this down for months and cannot seem to figure out why this is happening.

When I transmit on 10 Mtrs I have issues with my computer that is running my rigs and logging software (HRD).
I doesn't seen to happen as much when I run barefoot.
It usually happens when I'm running my Drake L4B amp.

It will lock up the computer. It will disconnect extra USB port strip that is running.

The computer is relatively close to the feed lines. Moving it would be difficult. I will have to think about where I could move it to.

I have everything grounded.

I do have some extra Feed line coiled up inside the shack. As soon as I can get outside when the weather breaks, I am going to pull all of it out accept for what I need.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to trouble shoot this and eliminate it??

Bob
W8RID
 Huh
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 01:38:05 PM »

Many computers use a reference clock of 14.31818MHz.

Multiply that by two, inject some energy into said PC which is of an amplitude greater than the clock signal, find somewhere inside the PC to divide-by-2 and guess the result.

First step is to choke ALL cables (keyboard, mouse, video, power, etc.) at the point they enter the PC. Snap-on toroids will work for this purpose.
W8RID

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 02:28:22 PM »

I know all Toroids come in different "powers".

Does it matter?? or what should I start with?

Bob
W8RID
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 03:18:39 PM »

My problem was with 40m. Two snap-on chokes on the computer end of the USB cable solved it. It was simply a choke that fit the cable.
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 06:45:25 AM »

I have everything grounded.

I do have some extra Feed line coiled up inside the shack. As soon as I can get outside when the weather breaks, I am going to pull all of it out accept for what I need.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to trouble shoot this and eliminate it??

What is the antenna? What is the grounding at the antenna? Stop the common mode on the coax and it won't matter how close to the computer the feeder is. I run a Flex 6500 which sits directly on top of my computer, the coax going into it is mixed in with all the cables going into the computer. Zero issues.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 06:56:34 AM »

The proximity of antenna to shack is a issue hear. When 10 is open, 100 watts is way more than enough. Maybe he needs the same magic wall that keeps fumes in a open garage to keep RF out  of shack. Seriously though, as frequency increases it is easier to induce RF on cabling and if antenna is very close, you may have a very hard time keeping RF out on 10m running a KW. Not impossible but it can be very challenging.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new technology and change with it or cling tightly to old technology and fall further behind everyday....
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 08:20:29 AM »

I solved the problem by not even having a computer in my shack.  I don't use logging programs, spots, computer to rig controls, etc. Just good old fashioned ham radio.  I am not enamoured with using a computer in my shack since I deal with computers all day at work and just want to get away from them when it comes to my hobby.  To each his own but I'm glad I'm not hooked into computing and ham radio.  If I want to log contacts I use eQSL after the contacts are made when I'm off the air.  Paper logs work just fine.  Good luck...
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 12:17:57 PM »

I solved the problem by not even having a computer in my shack. 
My shack - QRO, even - is located in what amounts to a small datacenter. Up to a dozen PCs plus servers, NAS appliances, switches, routers, what have you can be powered up at any given time and none of my radios - regardless of operating mode or frequency - interfere with them in the least.

Yes, they CAN be made RF-proof.
W8RID

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 01:33:06 PM »

My shack is in the back corner of my house.
My TA-63-N Beam is mounted to that back corner right outside the shack.
The grounding rod is about 1 foot away from the concrete mounting pad for the tower. The Tower is grounded to that rod as well as the rest of my equipment. I have a grounding bar inside that all the Rigs and equipment get grounded to then that bar gets grounded to the rod outside.
I do have some Toroids coming. Will play with those and see what happens.
Looks like the weather is breaking here. We have had 4 days in a row above freezing and all the snow is melting.
Will get outside this weekend and check the ground connections and get as much of my extra feed lines as I can pulled outside.

Bob
W8RID
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: