The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Packaging up a rig for repair & sending to California......  (Read 1207 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2015, 01:04:35 PM »

....and I have to tell you, I am extremely apprehensive about it.....Why, you may ask?....because I have had this radio for 25 years, and the manufacturer does not service it any longer....otherwise I would send it to the service center in Virginia which is closer to me...sending it from Pittsburgh to California has me worried.....if anything happens to this radio while in route, I would be devastated.....and it has nothing to do with package handling, as I have it boxed up and mummified pretty well......Silly, I know.....but I put forth the question....anyone out there ever have a radio disaster occur when sending it out by FedEx, UPS, DHL, US Post Office or any other means?Huh....again, I know I am being silly because I am worried about the plane going down or the truck overturning or a freakish event like that, & I know these companies are insured by this sort of thing, but understand me when I say other than the repair issue, this rig is in MINT condition and has years left in it, and it would never be the same.......I wouldn't be worried if it weren't so bloody far......What say you???.....

V
K3NRX
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 07:11:56 PM »

Dang! You are more attached to this radio than your wife? Would you be this worked up about sending your wife across the country?
Do the best you can packing the radio, insure the heck out of it. Ship it via FedEx, and hope for the best.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 09:02:13 PM »

So what rig is it? An EICO 753?? Tongue

I don't get emotionally attached to rigs. Lost, damaged or whatever is just a good reason to go buy a newer one.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 02:02:08 AM »

I would suggest wrapping it in bubble wrap and then making a wooden crate out of solid timber - 1-1/2 by 3/4 say or even 2 by 1, with struts arranged to bear against the cabinet and panel such that no matter what way it is dropped, the knobs can't get damaged. You can get ideas from looking at the packing cases for military gear. If there's a heavy transformer though, that may well all be in vain.

In that case, either use a courier or drive with it to California for a vacation while they fix it....
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 06:04:53 AM »

Dang! You are more attached to this radio than your wife? Would you be this worked up about sending your wife across the country?
Do the best you can packing the radio, insure the heck out of it. Ship it via FedEx, and hope for the best.

I am not married....LOL.....however I do have a significant other and when she travels, YES, I do get worked up about it.....whether she boards a jet for Florida, or drives to and from work......that's what love does I suppose..... Roll Eyes Grin Shocked Embarrassed Sad Undecided......

V
K3NRX

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 06:09:13 AM »

So what rig is it? An EICO 753?? Tongue

I don't get emotionally attached to rigs. Lost, damaged or whatever is just a good reason to go buy a newer one.

The Rig is a TS-440s....it's cherry.....I am talking MINT condition....was only cracked open once for the "dots" problem, and that was back in 2000....never cracked it open...not even to put in a filter......it has been a wonderful radio, and now Kenwood won't touch it for service, which has me kind of chapped.....the technology for this radio is not that far removed from today's ......I just don't get their thinking as to why they won't repair it (so I can send it to someplace closer like Virginia where it was sent before).....and right now, I can't afford to buy a new radio......
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 06:38:10 AM »

Assuming you don't have the original box and inserts.....

Double walled cardboard box with at least a few inches on either side of the radio. Wrap the radio itself in a single layer of bubble wrap using the bubble wrap with at least 1" diameter bubbles - the really small bubble stuff does very little.

Get some foam peanuts - foam, not polystyrene ones which have no give. Put a layer a few inches thick in the bottom of the box. Place the radio in centrally and fill around the radio and fill the box with the peanuts. Tape up with good quality 2" packing tape.

That got me a FT1000MP from England to Italy with no damage.

If you do have the original box and inserts and its in good condition, pack it in its box, fill the box with peanuts, find a double walled box the original will fit snugly into. Remember the radio came in a shipping container from Japan in its original packing so it'll make it across the USA.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 09:50:10 AM »

If you have the original box and inserts put the radio in a trash bag, then into the inserts, and ship it. The original box was a double box setup. If you don't have the original buy some large bubble wrap 24" wide. Roll the radio up in it with 3 layers on all sides. Fold and tape the ends with a single strip of packing tape. The corners stick out and keep the radio from getting next to the sides of the box. Get a 18"x18"x 10" box. Put a layer of peanuts in it then the radio then fill the box with peanuts. Tape securely using 2" packing tape and unless they run a forklift thru the box it will do fine. I've shipped 100's that way.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 10:54:23 AM »

The rig is gone....sent out for repair....in the original box w/bubble wrap, two foam ends and the usual packing popcorn...as well as a cover for the radio.....I sucked it up.....now let's all pray nothing happens in transit, both on the way out and on the way back......and I am on pins and needles and need a scotch!.......Got to tell you guys, I am not real happy with Kenwood not servicing this.....Like I told a friend, it's not like it's a boat anchor from the 1950s with antiquated tube technology......frustrating....very frustrating......

V
K3NRX

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 02:40:59 PM »

Hope you took photographs of the rig as it was packed, and in the open carton after it was packed, then of the carton; and then insured the rig for its value to you, as opposed to its normal market value which for a TS-440S actually wouldn't be that much.

I've found dealing with carriers is much easier when...

-It's well insured
-And I have photographic evidence of exactly how it was packed.

...from experience.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »

Hope you took photographs of the rig as it was packed, and in the open carton after it was packed, then of the carton; and then insured the rig for its value to you, as opposed to its normal market value which for a TS-440S actually wouldn't be that much.

I've found dealing with carriers is much easier when...

-It's well insured
-And I have photographic evidence of exactly how it was packed.

...from experience.

Now he tells me...... Roll Eyes.....Insured for $500.00....no pictures....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: