Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Urgent plea for assistance- FT-897D losing settings when powered off  (Read 4771 times)
73BRAHMA

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2012, 01:18:43 PM »

I just purchased a Yaesu FT-897D less than a week ago.  I also bought the Yaesu programming software.  I have spent this entire day trouble shooting this issue, and would like to know if ANYONE else has experienced this, or ANYTHING LIKE THIS, because I cannot find anything on the Internet about it.

Without going into an exhaustive list of actions I have gone through to try to fix this, I will say I can duplicate it time and again.  

* So far, all I can find is that it involves the CTCSS tone squelch function, and it's use on two meter repeaters.  But since this is something in the firmware, who knows what else doesn't work correctly.
* The CTCSS tone squelch function DOES NOT OPERATE even though it SHOWS IT IS ON (TSQL), AFTER POWERING DOWN and back up from a fresh read from the Yaesu software of my configurations.
* This occurs on the same set of memories- others ARE NOT affected- it still works on them.
* a Full Factory Reset DOES NOT fix the problem- CTCSS DOES NOT WORK on certain frequencies unless I read my configurations back from the software.  In other words, I can't set it up manually from a reset.
* It stays working after reprogramming from my software until I power down, thus requiring another read session.
* It is transmitting and receiving, but the tone squelch DOES NOT WORK.

Your assistance is HIGHLY appreciated.

73Brahma
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:24:12 PM by 73BRAHMA » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 01:48:12 PM »

When you power down are you turning it off or switching off power supply?

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
73BRAHMA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »

Proper power down with front power switch, then builtin in power supply.

As an addendum, I don't know what the heck is going on, but after duplicationg it for HOURS today, it PRESENTLY is working correctly.  I was disgusted and had it completely powered down for an hour, came back and turned it on, and it works.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:00:20 PM by 73BRAHMA » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »

The reason I asked you the power down sequence was to establish if possible rig has a backup battery going bad. I am not sure if this model has one but if it does it would hold memories with power switch of but 13.8 volts still applied to radio but would loose them with external power removed. If it acts up again try using a external power supply for rig and see how it acts.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 10:28:54 AM »

sounds like the internal backup attery is dead.
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 05:42:06 PM »

Is it new? warranty? Have you called Yaesu?
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 09:05:55 AM »

First thing to do is replace the internal battery.
73BRAHMA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 09:56:18 AM »

So I left the radio on over night, and it hasn't done it since, so I think I'm out of the woods.

Thanks-

73Brahma
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:08:52 AM »

So I left the radio on over night, and it hasn't done it since, so I think I'm out of the woods.

Thanks-

73Brahma

I would not be so sure. If there is a issue with back battery it will return. Rig only uses backup battery when no power is applied to radio power terminals, not when it is just off.

73BRAHMA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »

This was brand new, out of the box.  I only used it for maybe 5 hours when this problem occurred, and I could duplicate it every time.  Since I posted this, it hasn't done it again after being completely being powered off, and numerous time.  Maybe if the battery wasn't charged, the problem occurred because of that..  If there isn't a rechargeable battery in it, then I dont know, but it's working great now.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 10:37:01 AM »

It is possible that it uses a non user replaceable rechargeable backup battery that require power on for a extended period to charge up. It could have a flash EPROM too that requires no power to save but was wiped by a surge.

W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 03:23:32 PM »

This was brand new, out of the box.  I only used it for maybe 5 hours when this problem occurred, and I could duplicate it every time.  Since I posted this, it hasn't done it again after being completely being powered off, and numerous time.  Maybe if the battery wasn't charged, the problem occurred because of that..  If there isn't a rechargeable battery in it, then I dont know, but it's working great now.
The first thing that came to my mind was an internal battery but if the radio is brand new, I wouldn't touch it. Call Yaesu or the place you purchased it. It's under warranty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: